Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Interest Check: 4e Reskinnapalooza

Edited 1449032333
Ok, so over on RPG.net I'm currently doing a Let's Read of the D&D 4e core books and I'm actually pretty excited about running a game once I finish. The only problem is logistics:  -my face-to-face group is remarkably inconsistent with play and not a super RPG nerd like I am. -I'm on Pacific Time (US) and only have play windows at night (10pm+) -I have a toddler who is an incredibly light sleeper so I can't do voice chat. Wow, big hurdles! So what I'm trying to see is, with time to spare before I would actually be able to get such a game started, whether there is suitable interest (4-5 players) in a: D&D 4e campaign that goes very, VERY heavy on Reskinnapalooza the default options (think Star Wars meets final fantasy meets WH40K), that takes place weekly at 10pm or 10:30pm pacific time (UTC-8), with a GM who uses text chat only but can type very fact (players can still use voice). A brief introduction: The surface of Ged is over 99% water: its depths teem with life, gentle as well as ferocious, and for the most part the world remains a primordial question mark, having been colonized only once in the ancient past by the long-vanished warlike Eidolons. Travelers to Ged are rare: radiation from its bright-red sun has created a hyper-ionized and highly reactive atmosphere that makes any attempt to land a starship almost guaranteed to end in disaster. Instead, visitors book passage on massive Gateships that pass just close enough to the watery planet to transmit the passengers at great expense and then move on. This makes passage off the planet rare as well, and similarly expensive, since the gate facilities on the surface are well controlled by the Guild of Twenty-Five, who have also erected the only surface settlement on Ged, a five-mile wide metal disk called Sylvan magically suspended a thousand feet above the swell of the ocean near the southern pole where the sun's radiation is least disruptive. Sylvan sits at such a height because of what prowls the deep--massive beasts of might matched only by their blind destructive rage, things proven quite capable of ravaging structures erected upon the ocean's surface--indeed, they seem almost drawn to such things. What, then, could draw travelers to such a world? What could attract investors such as the Guild of Twenty-Five to spend such exorbitant sums to construct even a small foothold near its waves? The answer is as ancient as it is mysterious: nowhere in the settled universe did the vanished Eidolons leave so many traces of their culture and technology, even fragments of which have changed the course of history when they were recovered by treasure-hunters or researchers: for the Eidolons were masters of the Five Fundamental Sciences--Mechanics, Electrics, Arcanics, Psionics, and Genetics--and wove them tightly together in the crafting of their many inventive and ruthless machines of war. Indeed, many speculate that the destructive sea creatures populating the world are the remains of the Eidolons' defenses, crafted to protect the many research facilities sprinkled throughout the vast and trackless oceans, along with the wreckage of weapons the Eidolons' enemies presumably brought fruitlessly to bear in order to overthrow them. Even a single recovery from one of these sites could make an individual's fortune for a lifetime, whether in coin or in fame, so the trickle of arrivals to Ged remains small but steady, immigrants of all kinds from a thousand worlds, treasure hunters, desperate men looking for a second start, xenoarchaeologists, cultural preservers, the spiritually minded, or agents of governments either embattled or with aspirations of conquest. You come to Ged already accomplished in your own way--but here you could find your name or your legacy written a thousand miles wide across the universe for millennia to come.
How late can you start, and have you looked into any of Dias ex Machina's 4e line?
No, I'm a longtime DM but still very new to 4e. In some sense, my goal for this campaign would be to see how far we can push the reskinnability of 4e without altering any of the mechanics, so I'd be loath to adopt someone else's campaign guide that might have different classes, monsters, etc. As for lateness, I could probably begin as late as 11pm (7am UTC) but that would be as late as I dare since any night but Friday or Saturday i need to work the next day at 8am.
You should check in on the Knights of the Written Word. Text only group, has some 450+ members.
Thanks--I'll repost there as well.
What day and what starting starting level would you be using? Also, on a very different note, I'm a huge fan of reskinning/refluffing things.  We are always looking for new DMs in our Living Campaign if you wanted to try something that's very easy-and-open.  We have a rough format that we use for adventures, but the setting is completely up to you.
Thanks for your note--I'd prefer to start at level 1, since I've never run a 4e game before (I'd like to get to know the system from the ground up, as it were). I don't have a specific day in mind, but Thursdays and Sundays are generally bad. I see that your living campaign does a start-at-5. That would be rough for me, but once I've got the chance to play through those early levels I'd love to jump on board with your group.
If it's Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday I'd be interested in this.
Gotcha.  Yeah we normally have new DMs come and play for a bit at level 5 (Get to know people, get to know the game) and then use that as a method for them to get their stuff together for their own game. Personally I have the opposite problem.  I've played SO much DnD 4e that the low levels just aren't as big of a draw to me anymore.  I want more high level play.  Good luck finding people though!
Permanent DM said: Gotcha.  Yeah we normally have new DMs come and play for a bit at level 5 (Get to know people, get to know the game) and then use that as a method for them to get their stuff together for their own game. Personally I have the opposite problem.  I've played SO much DnD 4e that the low levels just aren't as big of a draw to me anymore.  I want more high level play.  Good luck finding people though! Thanks! I've got a smattering of interest--I think if I keep at it I can get the 4 I'd like to have to make it work!
I would like to toss my name in the hat as definitely interested. I absolutely love 4e and never get the chance to play it. None of your logistical quirks affect my interest, and the scheduled time is something I should be able to make.
Sweet! Glad to have you aboard. If the time isn't a deal-breaker for Ian S., I think we might actually have 4 folks expressing interest between this thread and the one on Knights of the Written Word.
Moved the brief introduction up to the first post to make it more obvious what this is about. Also want to note that the tone I'm looking for is high adventure, wild and a bit gonzo without being silly. Travelers from a thousand worlds congregate on a magitech planet for various reasons to explore the hidden mysteries of a long-dead civilization, fight crazy monsters, find powerful treasures, and interact with unique characters while becoming legends across the galaxy!
sounds interesting o.o 10 pm pst is 2 pm where im at! i wont even have to wake up early! (and dont worry about reskinnability... im in a game where everyone pilots heavy mechs and we didnt have to touch the mechanics other than changing how many feet a square was)
Sweet! I'll start sending out PMs later today with more details. still open for 1-2 more players, should anyone be interested. Thanks, all

Edited 1449080473
I'd definetly like a part in this. I've been reading your thread on RPG.net for a long while (and totally not registered because of my lurker tendencies). Very interesting conversations always coming up on the posts. I can make the times too! 
Sweet! And thanks for making this response your first Roll20 forum post--I'm honored :)
PMs sent. Still room for one more, I think.
I think I would like in on this. It's been quite a while since I last played 4e, and I'd be eager to do it again. I like the setting, too. The times work out for me, if only because of my terrible sleeping habits.
This campaign is now set up and a forum in place for folks to start brainstorming character ideas. Please post here or PM me if you are interested in joining! I think we still have a spot--probably won't be starting full steam until just about the holiday or maybe slightly after.
I'm really rather late to the party, but I'd really love to join this if there is still space available.