Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Dynamic Lighting Proposal

Hi All, Let me start by saying, I'm aware that there is a similar forum already made but it wasn't clear to me from people's comments if what I'm purposing is the same as theirs because what they were saying was hard to visualize. That led me to use a bit of photoshop to put together an image of something I'd like to see done with Dynamic Lighting, if at all possible. I have no formal skills with program development of any kind so I don't know the difficulties involved in making something like this, so I'm aware that what I'm about to explain may be easier said than done. Regardless, a system like this would help me (and many others, I'm sure) out quite a bit. Let's start with a Fog of War. To my way of thinking, the Fog of War shouldn't make the map completely black for the players. The map should be the dark opaque for the players like what the DM sees. The difference is that, for the players, Fog of War only allows them to see the map layer. They would be unable to see anything on the token layer. Next Vision - It took me quite a while to figure out the "Emits Light" configurations to get what I wanted. I suggest this be simplified to: 1) Angle of Sight - This is exactly the same as the Angle Degrees already established 2) Total Sight - How much of the map the player can see total 3) Clear Sight - How far the player can clearly see in front of them as if it is lighted 4) Dim Sight - How far the player can see without light. So in practice, and this is illustrated in the image below, a GM could establish the player can see 60 degrees in front of them. I have this particular character able to see clearly for 30ft with an additional 30ft of dim sight. So his total sight would be 60ft. Each square in this case is roughly 5 feet. (The grid on that map isn't Roll20's map so the length doesn't add up quite perfectly) The last section would be where it says, "Has Sight". This would have two boxes. The first would be how much of surrounding darkness the player can see. (Not the character, the player) This measurement would be in feet. For the purposes of this image below, that'd be 40ft (8 squares on either side) The second box would be the angle. I have this at 360 degrees. So in a nutshell, other markers on the Token layer would only be visible in the 30 feet of clear sight and only within their angle of sight. Tokens in the Dim Sight range would not show up to the player. I think this makes for a more realistic tabletop experience where GMs can place enemies on a map beforehand, but not have to worry about players seeing them early. Likewise, players tokens aren't stuck feeling like they're holding a flashlight in a pitch black room even if they're outdoors. If this isn't possible for any reason, please let me know so that I can relay that to my players. If so, I'd love to hear about the progress towards this!  Thanks in advance! ~Rial  
A better picture of what I was attempting to describe.
Gold
Forum Champion
Rial "Zaknafein" Stryker said: Let's start with a Fog of War. To my way of thinking, the Fog of War shouldn't make the map completely black for the players. The map should be the dark opaque for the players like what the DM sees. The difference is that, for the players, Fog of War only allows them to see the map layer. They would be unable to see anything on the token layer. This paragraph, section of your Suggestion, is already existing. It is the feature called Advanced Fog Of War available to Roll20 Pro & Plus Subscriber accounts. Wiki docs, <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Advanced_Fog_of_War" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Advanced_Fog_of_War</a>
Gold said: Rial "Zaknafein" Stryker said: Let's start with a Fog of War. To my way of thinking, the Fog of War shouldn't make the map completely black for the players. The map should be the dark opaque for the players like what the DM sees. The difference is that, for the players, Fog of War only allows them to see the map layer. They would be unable to see anything on the token layer. This paragraph, section of your Suggestion, is already existing. It is the feature called Advanced Fog Of War available to Roll20 Pro & Plus Subscriber accounts. Wiki docs, <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Advanced_Fog_of_War" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Advanced_Fog_of_War</a> Thanks for the update! I'm glad the Advanced Fog of War system is in place. I would just like to point out that I originally made the suggestion 2 years ago and this feature did not exist at the time. I updated the image just two weeks ago after a discussion on a Roll20 Facebook page prompted me to clarify the 2 year old suggestion. I'll mess around with the advanced fog of war (my crew disbanded over a year ago so I haven't played with any new features) to see what it does.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .