Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Update 8/6: Status Effect Icons, Roll Queries, Deal to Initiative, and more!

Status Effect Markers We've added around 40 new status effect markers to the markers tray, as well as adding a couple more "colored dots." This should greatly increase your ability to keep track of status effects, bennies, etc. You use them just like the colored dots: just open up the tray and click to toggle on/off. In addition, now the status effects will keep track of the order you put them on the token, useful for games where the order the effects were placed matters. Status Marker Badges In addition the new status icons, we're introducing a new way to keep track of some information about the status effect in the form of little number badges. To use, just mouse-over the status effect icon (or colored dot) with the marker tray open, then press 0 - 9 on your keyboard. Note that pressing 0 will clear the badge. So to set a "1" on the red dot, I would open up the marker tray just like normal, but instead of clicking on the red dot, I would move my mouse pointer to hover over it and then press "1" on my keyboard. It will add the red dot to the token and put a "1" badge on it. I can click the red dot again to toggle it off, or I can press "0" while hovering if I want to keep the dot but lose the badge. Token Display Settings With all of these new status effects, we know you're going to want more control over how your token's meta-information is displayed in game. There's now a new Campaign Settings section in the My Settings tab. These are campaign-wide settings that affect all tokens and all players. You can now use these settings to change the colors of the three token bars (so they don't have to be green, blue, and red anymore). Along with this, we've changed it so that now there are no more "icons" associated with each bar, instead the color of the bar is displayed in the Token Settings dialog and also the color rings the "bubble" for that bar in the radial menu that pops open when you select a token.  There's also a new setting allowing you to change the position of the token markers (the colored dots and status effect icons). You can position them at the top (the default) or the bottom, or you can also position them along the left or right side of the token and they will display vertically instead of horizontally. Roll Queries You can now prompt players for a value inside of a roll (including inline rolls). The syntax is simple. Just put: ?{AC of Target} ...anywhere in your rolls or inline rolls (including in macros and abilities). After all macros/variables are "expanded" but before the roll is actually made, we'll prompt the player making the roll to fill in each of those values. Whatever you put inside of the curly brackets is what they will see for the prompt. For example:  Deal to Initiative We've added a special new option for games that use cards for initiative (*cough* Savage Worlds *cough*). Now the GM can click the "Deal" link when hovering over the Playing Cards deck, and there's a new button called "Deal Cards to Turn Order Items". Clicking that will deal one card to each item that currently has a turn in the turn tracker, automatically adding the result to that item's initiative.  New Turn Tracker Sort Options As a compliment to the new Deal to Initiative feature, we've also added additional options for sorting the turn order. You can now sort Numerically or Alphabetically both ascending and descending for each, and there's also a new button titled "By Card/Suit" which will sort the items by Card breaking Ties by suit according to Savage Worlds rules. So basically if you're dealing out initiative for Savage Worlds now, just hit "Deal to Initiative", then "Sort By Card/Suit" and you're done. Inline Roll Highlighting We've added inline roll highlighting! Now if an inline roll contains a crit success, it will be highlighted with a green box. If there's a crit failure, it's highlighted in red. If it has both (because there was more than one roll), it's in blue. Also when you mouse-over the inline roll to see the details of the roll, we'll show red and green highlights for the rolls themselves for crits/fumbles. Dice Shadows We're playing around with the 3D Dice more to see what we can do. We've added shadows, and we're looking to add some additional texturing if we can pull it off without killing performance. Communication Improvements There's been several new changes to the "outside the tabletop" social aspects of the site. There's now a "Dismiss All Notifications" button which will allow you to dismiss all your current notifications with one click. PMs can now be archived, which will remove them from your PM inbox until a new reply is posted in the thread. PM editing has also been fixed. Enjoy the new goodies!
Can't wait to try out these status markers. 
Just one quick question - the Inline Roll Highlighting will not be able to highlight crits which succeed on rolls less than the maximum (weapons with 18-20 threat range for example) right?
Sithun
Pro
Sheet Author
I want to say that im having trouble selecting the new status-effect markers. Once i select something, it copies anything in the map-layer and pastes it someplace else, then it wont update the tabletop-display-thingy correctly.
Frej B. said: I want to say that im having trouble selecting the new status-effect markers. Once i select something, it copies anything in the map-layer and pastes it someplace else, then it wont update the tabletop-display-thingy correctly. Hmmm...can you take a screenshot or a video of it happening?
Wilz said: Just one quick question - the Inline Roll Highlighting will not be able to highlight crits which succeed on rolls less than the maximum (weapons with 18-20 threat range for example) right? It works the same as the normal roll crit/fumble highlights. So basically fumble is rolling a 1, crit is rolling the maximum number.
Roll Queries!   You just made my day! :)
Sithun
Pro
Sheet Author
Riley D. said: Frej B. said: I want to say that im having trouble selecting the new status-effect markers. Once i select something, it copies anything in the map-layer and pastes it someplace else, then it wont update the tabletop-display-thingy correctly. Hmmm...can you take a screenshot or a video of it happening? <a href="https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5vPAicZKIHfU3hhRFRUUFJWczQ/edit?usp=sharing" rel="nofollow">https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5vPAicZKIHfU3hhRFRUUFJWczQ/edit?usp=sharing</a> Sorry for the crappy quality. Hope it helps!
I just checked you guys didn't fix one bug with the turn order. If two people click to edit a character's turn number (initiative in D&amp;D) the one who hits enter first cancels out the other player's action. It has really made it so the fact that players being able to edit those numbers is pointless as only one can do anything at any given time. If you could fix this problem that would make the turn tracker even better. Love the updates expecially the new status symbols.&nbsp;
Alex L.
Pro
Sheet Author
Jon R. said: I just checked you guys didn't fix one bug with the turn order. If two people click to edit a character's turn number (initiative in D&amp;D) the one who hits enter first cancels out the other player's action. It has really made it so the fact that players being able to edit those numbers is pointless as only one can do anything at any given time. If you could fix this problem that would make the turn tracker even better. Love the updates expecially the new status symbols.&nbsp; If they drag the dice roll from the chat this doesn't happen, its not a fix but its a good workaround.
Just the staus effect icons alone is sooooo worth it. Thanks to the Dev Team. *thumbs up*
Hm. The increasing awesomeness of Roll20 might soon become a problem for me, it won't be long until I have to sacrifice that second pizza per month. Anyways, well done, this is (yet another) great update!
Crazy, man, crazy!&nbsp; Thanks for listening devs!:)
Now to go through my campaign(s) and set all the macros to inline rolls...

Edited 1375979121
David Z.
KS Backer
Riley D. said: Wilz said: Just one quick question - the Inline Roll Highlighting will not be able to highlight crits which succeed on rolls less than the maximum (weapons with 18-20 threat range for example) right? It works the same as the normal roll crit/fumble highlights. So basically fumble is rolling a 1, crit is rolling the maximum number. That's right a lot of times - but in 3.5/d20srd/Pathfinder a normal crit. has been by weapon type. eg javlin 20, short sword 19-20, rapier 18-20.&nbsp;

Edited 1376287577
David Z.
KS Backer
Quality issue on decks. Upon "Save Deck" if null nodes were removed (cards with no "Name" and with no image link), this would cure headaches during deck creation. Example: getting a poker deck without jokers.. duplicate "playing cards" deck, &nbsp;edit and rename deck Poker, find each Joker card and delete the Name and image link. save. Now the card count would be down to 52 as it should be. [edit] Or.. the card delete button could also be not at the end of a scroll... unnoticed... by me. &nbsp;XD
Super sweet job giving more status effect icons. &nbsp;We're working through which icons best match which effects we need represented to keep track of crazy fights that involve acid, fire, slowing, domination, dazing, grabbing, restraining, concealing, prone, and sneaking like a ninja. So far my players don't do 10+ ongoing damage, but what suggestions do folks have for ongoing status effects that deal with two digits of whatever? Also, scrolling through them on my Macbook Pro is a little wonky. &nbsp;I know there's a scroll tool, but my two-finger scroll when my cursor is over the icons works inconsistently. &nbsp;Like, I scroll for a few lines and then suddenly the whole map starts to pan up and away. &nbsp;Maybe that window could disable overall page scroll while the cursor is over it, or something, to stop this from happening.&nbsp;
Question: &nbsp;How could I set up a macro to allow the input of an Attribute? &nbsp;Example: /r 1d20+{Character|Stat} but allow the @Heal etc to be added.
Because of the current implementation, the history of the status markers reads from right to left (oldest to newest). It should read from left to right, so the oldest is on the left, and the newest are on the right, in the same way people read written English. For consistency, this would mean that the first status marker would come in on the left hand side of the token, and newer status markers would come in on the right side of the last status token. Because of the way the current status marker list displays, reading the history of the current status markers is unintuitive and awkward. The new status marker badges can’t take multi-digit numbers, and thus aren’t a great option for tracking ammunition, which will consistently be above 10 units. The bars are better for this, but what would be even better than that is if the bar bubbles had ammo icons and could stay up while unselected, without the bar. Sometimes, tracking a static number is all you want; there’s no real maximum capacity on carrying ammo, besides your physical carrying capacity, which has to account for the weight of other equipment. And players who have a reasonable choice of equipment are going to need to pick their own icons for that bubble, to represent their personal choices; a player has to be able to communicate to his GM which ammo indicator represents his Gyroc, and which represents his crossbow firing corded thermite. On a related note, the only icon in the status markers fit to represent ammunition is the grenade, and that’s clearly more of a “special” ammunition type, rather than say a bullet (western settings), a modern ammo magazine (clip, whatever), or arrows (for medieval settings). Please include a convenient way to visibly represent ammunition, and I argue that the bar bubbles with selectable icons (in the same way as the status effects) is best for that. We still need more than 3 bars, or perhaps, a single bar with multiple “stages”, JUST to represent health levels! Exalted (and World of Darkness, to some extent) have multi-stage health levels, and each stage can grow independently of other stages. For instance, a Dragonblooded can have one -0 health level, three -1 AND -2 health levels, and a -4 health level, before they’re incapacitated; a Dragonblooded can never gain -0 health levels, unlike a Solar, who can have multiple -0 levels, and -1 and -2 levels at a completely different rate. Representing this with standard bars would require at least 4 bars. A multi-stage bar could do the job, but each stage would need its own color. Multiple stages would also be helpful for when players gain temporary HP, that has consequences when it goes away. Can we also have the bubbles representing the bars re-ordered sensibly? There’s little point to putting the third bar in the order first, followed by the first bar going second. Another important thing to note is that, sometimes, the GM may know the game system’s rules and setting inside and out, but doesn’t know Roll20 worth a damn, and leaves it up to the players to solve their own problems, even when Roll20 won’t let them do that without the GM’s permission. The token features are an important example of this, not allowing player access to the bars and auras without the GM granting explicit permission for each individual thing. The tokens need to have a one-click “grant the controlling player complete editing control” feature, or maybe default to player control with a universal GM override, instead of making the GM click a series of checkboxes he doesn’t understand. Otherwise, the GM just isn’t going to know what a feature is for until his players use it. It should be something the GM can turn off, if his players are abusing the feature, but until the GM learns what it does, the feature goes completely unused. Part of the problem of tucking the bar colors away in the GM’s Campaign Control is that the players will never have the chance to edit it, and let the GM know it’s there, much less customize it for the needs of the campaign. Features should generally be designed with the assumption that players should use it until the GM concludes he has a reason not to, unless otherwise well-behaved players could use it in a disruptive fashion. Don’t assume that the GM is going to be the one doing all the Roll20 work; when he learns all the features, sure, but until then, one player may do the character sheets, one may do the tokens, and one may doodle up some backgrounds, since they can’t select actual art. And frankly, that’s the fastest way for a quickie campaign to get started, rather than have the players wait around for the GM to do everything he doesn’t know how to do.
Can we have a checkbox that automatically re-sorts by the last sort once it gets to the bottom of the turn order? I delay turns and ready actions a lot, and my GM just can’t keep up with all the initiative changes for some reason. Having the list auto-sort would make him MUCH less confused, and keep him from having to be talked through the resorting dialog, which is now even more complicated than it was, however absolutely necessary it is for my Exalted game, which needs to sort ticks in Ascending Order. This would make the turn tracker a much more reliable tool, instead of one that needs to be fixed every other turn, because someone is clever.
Can you make the turn tracker accept math the same way the bar bubbles do? In Exalted (and other game systems), turn order is measured in ticks, with different actions taking more or less ticks; it would be good for people to just enter the number of ticks their action costed them, rather than having to sum the total with their prior initiative.
@Tenacious - go mentor. Get the API.
Awesome! As if having a virtual table top puzzle peiced through any video linked GM's &amp; Players... You make bandwidth and processor speed challenged interface users; options that have kept multiplying. Some of which work more seamlessly than the traditional medium! Thanks for doing such a great Job on all this. Really cool You got Your honors from Kick Starter too! Working towards a supporting membership should be a goal for any and all of us~
Can you guys add a setting for markers in campaign settings called something like "Marker Badge Type:" which can either have a value of "Normal" or "Ticking". With the "Ticking" type selected, every time that token comes to top of turn order, 1 is subtracted from the marker badge number and if equal to 0 the marker is removed. That way we can keep track of effects that wear off after a certain number of rounds like sickened, blinded, confused, stunned etc.
I'm super impressed with this update! I enjoy writing macros for all my players, but haven't run into an elegant solution for monitoring crits until now. Thank you very much! Also The new status effects are going to come in handy tonight &lt;evil grin&gt;. The suggestions I would make moving forward would be expanded threat range (some weapons we use crit at 19-20) and being able to drag&amp;drop inline rolls (I'm currently using /roll for initiative, and would like a cleaner macro)

Edited 1376185900
Nice update. Communication Improvements are very handy as well.
I just want to point out that I recognize all of the icons from the Monster's Den games. Glad they're in though, they've been a big need for a long, long time.
So I must be blind but I don't see this campaign settings link that will allow me to make these changes to all campaigns. Is it only available to mentor level or higher?
Gauss
Forum Champion
Robert P., if you go into your campaign and click on the settings icon (top right corner of the campaign) you will find some campaign level settings such as status icon positioning and bar coloration. You can also find the Transmogrifier button there which is what allows you to pull elements from one of your campaigns into another campaign.&nbsp; If this did not answer your question please let me know. :) - Gauss
The query dice rolls is fantastic. I wonder if there's a way in which I could use it to roll a AD&amp;D 2nd edition THAC0 roll? The test formula I've created is: /roll d20&lt;@{Rapier+1 Thac0} - ?{AC of Target} Where Rapier plus 1 holds the current THAC0 of the weapon. What I really want is for it to perform the calculation to the right of the 'less than' sign' before checking for success. I'm very new to all this and have probably missed something obvious, if so I apologise. BTW, great application!

Edited 1376519242
Gauss
Forum Champion
Yes, you can do this with inline rolls or by mathematically rearranging the expression.&nbsp; Inline:&nbsp; /roll 1d20&lt;[[@{Rapier+1 Thac0} - ?{AC of Target}]] Rearrange: (Note: this is adding the same term both sides of the expression) /roll 1d20+?{AC of Target}&lt;@{Rapier+1 Thac0} In the case of rearranging the formula you can also put the entire thing into an inline (not possible with the first inline method since you cannot nest inline rolls). Rearrange+inline: [[1d20+?{AC of Target}&lt;@{Rapier+1 Thac0}]] successes - Gauss
Thanks for that, that's great, it should also fix an issue I had that in the original formula it wasn't accepting negative numbers in the query.

Edited 1376556097
Gauss
Forum Champion
Happy to help. :) Regarding the double negatives (or double positives) it is a known bug. Sorry it was, ummm, bugging you. :D - Gauss
Awesome. Great work!
I love these new queries. It's so much easier to write ?{AC of Target} rather than visually check the results. For those who haven't toyed around with it fully, I've become fond of multiplication with these as well:&nbsp; Essentially: &nbsp; &nbsp;[[{{1d20+3}&gt;?{AC of Target}}]]*[[{1d4+1}]] If a roll doesn't hit, 0, else 1. So the program only adds up damage for successful rolls. Thought I'd share. :-)
Yeah, made the same neat discovery, very good upgrade this one (though so far almost every single upgrade seems to be, so how would one really tell the best ones?)
For queries is there a way to reuse that value later in the macro or attribute?&nbsp; For example, I'd like to ask if deadlyAim is in use in the attack roll, then use it again in the damage roll without asking a second time. I would think it would work like this, but I can't seem to figure it out. /r 1d20+?{deadlyAim|2} &nbsp;this queries and sets deadlyAim during attack roll /r 1d8 + deadlyAim*2 this still knows the value for deadlyAim and includes it in the damage roll
That would indeed be an excellent functionality. Let us know if you figure out some way it can be done.
Thanks for the new additions, I was wondering if there were a way to either hide the names of the creatures in the turn order, or just hide them altogether? I don't mind the players knowing something or someone is going to have a turn before or after them, but if I name something doppleganger sneak (and he's hiding in a corner where they can't see him) I'd like it if his name didn't show up in the turn order when combat begins. Currently, I just make a "shadow" token in the GM settings tab and add his turn to the table, that way the players can't see anything, but it means I have to make duplicate tokens for each enemy. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited 1378061623
Gauss
Forum Champion
Players cannot see the names in the turn order unless you checkmark the "See" box following "Name" in the token's "Player Permissions". As a reminder, what you see is not what the players see. Switch to player mode (in the settings tab) to see what players see. - Gauss