Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Colored Dynamic Lighting

light tinting is needed. separate tint options for dim and bright light. this would allow a DM to place typical lights in areas, but then place dim lights with invisible emitters and tinting so that the shadows from the bright lights are not 100% opaque. light sources should blend, such that two or more dim sources overlapping should create full brightness. night vision currently works pretty good. I use a dark purple tint so its not producing the same effect as bright light. the strength of dim light should be adjustable - but tinting would again solve this problem. tinted light should blend colors, not overlap colors - there's a difference! shadows should be gradable - but tintable dim lighting would solve this problem. MAKE LIGHT TINTABLE. PS: we also need movement barriers that are not light barriers.
What I have done is make tokens where the characters have darkvision but in a specific colour and used that as colored light. I would still like coloured light sources but this is a good workaround. 
This is probably the main reason I'm going to move onto another platform. The more recent do have this feature, and while the Roll20 team has implemented a new dynamic lighting system, it has totally ignored this.What a shame !
+1
+1
+1
This could be interesting, but pales in necessity to core aspects of the system that need adjusted.
+1 this needs to be added
+1
+1 This is needed. Roll20 is lacking comparing with Foundry, If features like this miss more people is going to dismiss their subscription
What's crazy is that the tinted night vision and the way it works with light sources is beautiful. All we want is the same functionality for the lights themselves.
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Kevin B. said: What's crazy is that the tinted night vision and the way it works with light sources is beautiful. All we want is the same functionality for the lights themselves. I really think tinting is the wrong way to go, both for UDL night vision and for colored dynamic lighting, unless it is heavily reworked from the scenario we have at the moment where two tokens with overlapping, tinted night vision darken the map. In the end, both colored dynamic lighting and night vision likely should use the same underlying technology, but the tinting of UDL's night vision as it currently stands darkens what a token sees, which is the opposite of what light should do. In other words, Night Vision currently uses subtractive color blending (red + green = brown, and the area gets darker), whereas light uses additive color blending (red + green = yellow, and the area gets brighter). Light sources should be blended, as in this demo (made by someone else). Clicking the question mark in the upper-right corner of the demo tells you how to change the type, direction, color, and intensity of the lights.&nbsp; <a href="https://corybeams.com/le/examples/#interactive_lights" rel="nofollow">https://corybeams.com/le/examples/#interactive_lights</a> All of the lights combine to present the final image. For example, magenta and green light combine to make white light. This combination of elements would give us properly colored dynamic lighting and avoid problems like the dark circles at the edge of light sources and night vision that we are currently seeing in the UDL beta.
+1 for this
Yes Please, coloured lighting is a must! My glowing green force field bridges in the crystal caverns need to actually glow!
+1 - Roll20 needs to keep up.&nbsp; As a professional DM, I'm ready to make that move to Foundry as it has SO many more features with lights. This is just one of many I'd like to have.
+1
+1 too
Light sources should be blended, as in this demo (made by someone else). Clicking the question mark in the upper-right corner of the demo tells you how to change the type, direction, color, and intensity of the lights.&nbsp; <a href="https://corybeams.com/le/examples/#interactive_lights" rel="nofollow">https://corybeams.com/le/examples/#interactive_lights</a> All of the lights combine to present the final image. For example, magenta and green light combine to make white light. This combination of elements would give us properly colored dynamic lighting and avoid problems like the dark circles at the edge of light sources and night vision that we are currently seeing in the UDL beta. I agree. I've never understood why roll20 thinks that dark/night vision isn't simply an additional light source which is visible only to a single token.
+1 and thanks for creating this post!
+1!

Edited 1615590167
I've requested this in the past and actually had just posted again when I saw this. My current workaround. "Invisible" tokens (blank png), emit light, visible aura. Issue is aura bleeds through walls so be mindful of that.
player view
I love the ideas put forward here, BUT with this suggestion not going to make it into Legacy by 18th May21. I'd rather ask for working Dynamic lighting instead of the preAlpha that UDL is currently.
+1
+1
+1
+1 for sure!!
The problem with using auras to color your lighting is that it creates a harsh edge instead of dimming with the edge of the light. To blur out the edge of the light, especially if it's a wide area, involves using a bunch of invisible tokens with separate auras and it's just sooooo clunky. They managed to do the tinted lighting on night vision, I just don't understand why they couldn't implement the same thing with the emitted light. Especially considering there are FAR more use-cases for colored light over colored night vision. Portals, glowing crystals, alert lights in sci fi games, various colored flames for magical fire... it's everywhere in TTRPG games no matter the system. This just feels so basic and this is such an old post, how is this not a thing yet?
+1
My workaround for now is to make a token of a transparent image of a diffuse glow, tint that token, and put a light source in the same square.
+1
Does this include changing the color of the Fog of War? That's a feature I really want, change the black to blue for underwater or white for snow.
+1, why is this not coming?
Would love to see this as well.
+1
+1
+1
Hey everyone! We appreciate all of your suggestions. I wanted to stop by to let you know that Colored Lighting is now on the Dev Server for our Pro users to try out! You can find more information in the Pro thread here . We hope you enjoy it!
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
We just released support for Dynamic Lights to have a color value. Keys were also added to the Pro API to set the color values with custom API and One-Click Scripts.