Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

GuloxMiro

Miro steps from the kitchen wiping his hands on his apron and surveys the tavern. He looks over to Vrinn and Gulo and smiles at the exchange and then watches Gulo returns to Synovia's table. Miro smiles as he sees Gulo light his pipe. Miro reaches for his own pipe, igniting it with a flick of his wrist. " I do not think I have ever seen him angry enough to resort to word games, what did you say?"
"I am a Hobgoblin and he is an elf, whatever I would have said our conversation would have ended the same." he takes another drag "It is good you are here Miro Kaijutsu, there is something I need to discuss with you."
Miro nods quietly in contemplation.  He pulls his pipe still smoking with the incensed tobacco of his choice and looks it over while he waits for Gulo's query.  It was a long pipe, even for a human which made it almost a mockery for this tiny framed halfling.  A long thin shaft of polished Sandlewood meeting its light end at the bell of a carved mahogany with a single ivory spacer separating the two.  The smoke that curled from it smelled of a rich spice not native to this land and its smoke was thick, like a censer at mass wafting up to the Dragons rafters. "By all means Gulo... how may I help you?"  He speaks as he returns the pipe to his mouth for another long draw.
Gulo stuffs fresh tobacco into his pipe, a short, squat, fearsome looking thing carved from ironwood in the shape of a horned devil's head, he takes a long drag the pipe, exhaling sour tobacco like a blacksmith's furnace "It is more so about helping the party. I have talked with Synovia regarding the group's tactics, and most if not all of them have you in the most crucial role, I find this unwise tactically."
Miro stands and walks over to the chessboard.  He lays out the peices and then waves Gulo to join him again.  As they sit down Miro looks over the board and allows Gulo to take the first move.  "I see..."  Miro smiles up and takes another long pull on his pipe.  This time Miro held no illusions of playing cat and mouse with Gulo, this time Gulo would taste the full raw power of Miro's intellect.  Miro having lost the last game forces the first move with an agressive Horseman foward.  "And why is that Gulo?"
Gulo takes a pawn, moving it foreword on the board "It is simply that as far as I can from Synovia there are no back up plans for anything involving you, this is suicide for any strategy." he waits for miro to move a piece, positioning his bishop to remove the knight "I do not doubt your skill with magic Herr Miro, or your mind...you wanted to know more about me when we first met ja, then let me tell you what my job was when I was in the army of Lastwall." he pulls out his symbol of Moloch, letting the heavy iron bull's head rest in his palm "as a jager my job was to take out the most capable and dangerous combatants, witch doctors, chieftains and other such leaders. And when I killed them there horde faltered, because they had not thought of what to do in the event of their leader's death, it made them easy to finish off." he places his symbol back underneth his uniform "you see my concern ja?"
Miro looks up with a sly look in his face.  Forcing his Horseman forward to a comprimising position seeming almost too good to take such a valuble peice then he replys. "I see your point Gulo... however unlike the hordes you have fought we stand at a much greater vantage.  Think of us more like... controlled barbarians.  Each of us is a cheif in their own right.  If one falls the rest stand twice as resolute.  Becoming a one man army more than a single soldier without leadership.  I trust that should I fall, my FRIENDS" Miro says with great emphasis. "Will rise two fold to any challenge.  That is the advantage to our party.  Now for tactics... I have many means of escape that will allow me to remain viable in combat.  Of that I can promise.  As for my role in combat.  I am a user of supportive magics from my god, and offensive spells from my learnings."
Gulo barely glances at the piece, making an opening for his king "I have heard such speeches before from an elven commander back when I served in the Warband, he was confident in his men as you are in your allies, for they we're well trained soldiers each, but they still flew into panic when I shot a bullet into his head, I find it amusing one as long lived as him did not plan for such an event. Speeches are fine for motivating troops or allies, but reality does not for speeches so one must plan for every contingency, especially ones own death."
Miro smiles one last time as the final peice is layed into place leaving him with no option that did not end in defeat within the next two to three moves.  "And that is your first fault..... My death is not one such reality."  Miro looks up with an almost dark look in his eye.  The passion and grin lines that lived there forever were almost eclipsed by this one look of insured knowing.  "You have lost good Gulo... there is no move you can take that will not end in your defeat.  Well played Gulo.  Do not get me wrong though, I understand your concerns, but maybe you yourself have a failing in your training.  I know not of Hobgoblins... that is true, but at Lastwall, as with most armies of the goodly races, I know comradery is key.  It is what keeps our armies from failing to your peoples.  Perhaps you should revisit your own training before you indoctern an incomplete one."
Gulo slowly get's up, politly handing his king to Miro "Guten Nacht Herr Miro, I am not as smart as you, and your knowledge far outreaches mine, so you can tell me why I would move my king when I could have easily used any other piece to try and claim your knight." and with Gulo begins to leave the tavern to make his way to the garrison.