Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Flow and his weird RPG questions...

Edited 1455174934
Hello everyone ! I thought I would create a topic for all the questions and help requests I need from this awesome community (instead of creating multiple topics every time?). Sorry for the long post but I'd rather give a bit of context so my questions make more sense down the road. So. Some friends and myself decided to start a proper campaign of a game we've found a couple years ago but never got around to play IRL (we all live in different countries and time zones (T_T)). Thanks to r20, we can now make this a reality. Unfortunately, the game we are trying to play is not very well known (french game called Vermine, published roughly 10 years ago and that stumbled into the abyss after a couple years ><) and possess a very specific rule system. It is an awesome game system but slightly different to the usual ones (at least to my knowledge) we used to play in high school. The system is based on d10s, and only d10s. Which means that some characteristics do not really have a set value, but only that it will allow you to roll a specific number of d10. Also, players have two "reserves" of dice that they can use during combat for example or any given situation where they have to perform actions. This allows them to roll "more" dice than they usually can. For example: The first reserve they have is called the "Effort" reserve. This represents their general physical status (healthy or not, well rested/tired/exhausted, ready to tackle the day or crawling out of bed for example). The second reserve is called "Self-control". This defines their mental status. I've assigned those values respectively to Bar 1 and Bar 2. When they enter combat, a third reserve comes into play. The "combat" reserve is equal to the "Effort" reserve, basically showing the state they're in when they start a fight. Anyway, I'm getting too much into details (sorry ^^) but my first question would be the following: • Is there a macro that would automatically "set" the combat reserve value in bar 3 being the same as the effort one in Bar 1 when the macro is used? I've tried a few things and can't make it work!! Sorry if I don't make much sense! Thanks for your help :) Flow

Edited 1455180815
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Hi Flow, it isn't currently possible to set an attribute/bar value using a macro. It would certainly be possible however with the API which is a  Pro subscription level perk.
Hi Ziechael :) Thanks for your reply. I'll consider the Pro subscription with my players, but I'm also afraid the API might prove too complex for my actual coding skills xD I guess we'll do it manually, which is fine for now! Also, I would assume that a macro can only prompt a question/choice to one person at a time? As in: Player uses a macro to roll, sets modifiers, GM gets a prompt to set a value (difficulty to roll against) then the roll takes place. Thanks again for your help :)
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
My coding skills are minimal, basically only what i've picked up by playing with other peoples efforts... but that hasn't stopped me from from over 30 scripts on my game ;) The community here has many eager and capable coders who love to help solve problems for people that the basic system cannot handle at present, in fact there are a couple of scripts out there already that would be of use in this situation ( TokenMod for example would allow you to create a macro that when ran would set all of the selected tokens Bar 3 to = Bar 1). As for the prompts, they will only be visible to the player running the macro and while you could use "@{target|foo}" to set the difficulty if it is a set hard-coded value the other option would be to have a query prompt the player to ask the difficulty value from the GM "?{Difficulty from GM?|0}"?
PaulOoshun
Marketplace Creator
Flow, another approach you might find workable (though still manual) is to give players "cards" into the hands that represent the various Effort pools (so three "decks" of cards which will essentially end up as tokens in their hand). They can then cash-in these tokens for more dice, according to the rules of Vermine.  They could give one "Combat Pool" and one "Effort" when they spend it out of combat, then when it comes to combat the pools will be equal and can be manually depleted seperately.   When pools refresh, you can just quickly deal new tokens as needed. 
Hi Flow.  Ziechael said: My coding skills are minimal, basically only what i've picked up by playing with other peoples efforts... but that hasn't stopped me from from over 30 scripts on my game ;) The community here has many eager and capable coders who love to help solve problems for people that the basic system cannot handle at present, in fact there are a couple of scripts out there already that would be of use in this situation ( TokenMod for example would allow you to create a macro that when ran would set all of the selected tokens Bar 3 to = Bar 1). As for the prompts, they will only be visible to the player running the macro and while you could use "@{target|foo}" to set the difficulty if it is a set hard-coded value the other option would be to have a query prompt the player to ask the difficulty value from the GM "?{Difficulty from GM?|0}"? I second this! :) I can't write a line of code myself but the API community is great and filled to the brim with friendly folk who can help you with anything script related. 

Edited 1455246503
Hi all :) Thanks a lot for your answers. Good to know the community is that active! Ziechael said: As for the prompts, they will only be visible to the player running the macro and while you could use "@{target|foo}" to set the difficulty if it is a set hard-coded value the other option would be to have a query prompt the player to ask the difficulty value from the GM "?{Difficulty from GM?|0}"? That's pretty neat. I wanted to keep the difficulty hidden from them, but it's not such a big deal (since they have a table explaining the difficulty levels in the Player Manual anyway...). Alan H. said: Flow, another approach you might find workable (though still manual) is to give players "cards" into the hands that represent the various Effort pools (so three "decks" of cards which will essentially end up as tokens in their hand). They can then cash-in these tokens for more dice, according to the rules of Vermine.  They could give one "Combat Pool" and one "Effort" when they spend it out of combat, then when it comes to combat the pools will be equal and can be manually depleted seperately.   When pools refresh, you can just quickly deal new tokens as needed.  I like that idea. It would also make use of the "cards" tab that I thought would not be that helpful. I'll have a closer look :p New question (^ ^ '  ) How many choices can be offered to a player in one macro? And what would the prompt window look like if a lot of attributes are suggested? Thanks Flow

Edited 1455248117
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Flow said: How many choices can be offered to a player in one macro? Are you referring to Roll Queries ? A macro can contain as many Roll Queries are you're comfortable using. Likewise, a Roll Query's dropdown menu can contain any given number of entries. Flow said: And what would the prompt window look like if a lot of attributes are suggested? Much as it same if only a few Attributes are suggested. Due to the order of operations , Attribute calls (e.g. @{target|token_name}) are parsed to their given values (e.g. Token's Name) before any Roll Query "pops up". ?{Example|@{target|1st Target|token_name}|@{target|2nd Target|token_name}|...|@{target|nth Target|token_name}}
Thanks Silvyre ! I meant drop down menu indeed. I love you guys \o/

Edited 1455273237
PaulOoshun
Marketplace Creator
Roll queries drop-down?! I've just learnt a new thing!  Thanks all. Flow, if you like the card idea and want to try it out, let me know what the four pools are (Is it Mental, Physical, Social and Combat?  Body, Nimbleness, Intellect and Social? I can't get a decent translation easily and words are so important...) and I'd be happy to make a few cards to represent them for your group.

Edited 1455302083
Hi Alan, Yup, drop down menu can be quite cool to use. Not necessarily quicker than a simple macro + modifier, but allows you to reduce errors from the players and make it nice and tidy ! The four main categories are Physical, Manual, Mental and Social. Each category is divided in 3 attributes: Strength/Speed/Health, Agility/Precision/Reflexes, Knowledge/Perception/Willpower, Empathy/Persuasion/Psychology. To give you a general idea, our "fake character sheets" look like this: Silvyre said: ?{Example|@{target|1st Target|token_name}|@{target|2nd Target|token_name}|...|@{target|nth Target|token_name}} I had a lot of trouble to make sense of your example. And in the end could not make it work properly (there was always something that failed, whether on the "displaying" of the drop down menu, or the execution of the macro itself... After many hours last night, I ended up with something a bit less sexy, but slightly more simple: **@{selected|character_name}** utilise ses compétences de ?{Défi de | Force, **Force** et obtient [[@{selected|Force}d10]] ! | Rapidité, **Rapidité** et obtient [[@{selected|Rapidité}d10]] ! | ... etc My only problem now is that I am trying to throw this roll against a difficulty value (through a query prompt) but cannot find a way to make it work. I have tried variations of ">" but no matter where or how I put in the macro, it does not work. Any ideas? ^^ Thanks! Flow
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Is this close to what you want? **@{selected|character_name}** utilise ses compétences de ?{Défi de| Force, **Force** et obtient [[@{selected|Force}d10]] ! | Rapidité, **Rapidité** et obtient [[@{selected|Rapidité}d10]] ! | ... } vs. DC ?{Valeur|10} If not, it's a good starting point, I think, to get there. :)
Hi! Yes, that is definitely a good start :) Thank you. Once you input the GM value though, how would you manage to ask the system to compare the result of the roll to the difficulty and tell immediately if it is a success or a fail? Once again, I know I might just overthink it... I guess that's the issue being in the Video Game industry xD You try to turn everything into an automated version of itself ! My first game is tomorrow. So I guess it will be ok for now. I'll compensate my GM stumbles with intriguing descriptions... By the way, Is it possible to have a token in play that only some characters can actually see? I've tried placing an NPC token in the GM layer, but then nobody can see it. On the objets layer, everyone can see it. Thanks! Flow

Edited 1455331092
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Flow said: Once you input the GM value though, how would you manage to ask the system to compare the result of the roll to the difficulty and tell immediately if it is a success or a fail? Without an API Script (access to the API is available in games in which the creator has an active Pro subscription), the best I can offer is this: **@{selected|character_name}** utilise ses compétences de ?{Défi de| Force, **Force** et obtient [[ @{selected|Force}| Rapidité, **Rapidité** et obtient [[ @{selected|Rapidité}| ... }d10&gt;?{Valeur|7}]] succès! This will generate 1 success for each individual d10 that results in a number greater than or equal to Valeur. Check out: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Dice_Reference#Target_Numb" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Dice_Reference#Target_Numb</a>... The following will sum all of the dice and then output 1 success for a sum greater than or equal to Valeur, or 0 successes: **@{selected|character_name}** utilise ses compétences de ?{Défi de| Force, **Force** (@{selected|Force}) et obtient [[ {[[@{selected|Force}| Rapidité, **Rapidité** (@{selected|Rapidité}) et obtient [[ {[[@{selected|Rapidité}| ... }d10]] + d0cs1cf1}&gt;?{Valeur|30}]] succès!
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Flow said: By the way, Is it possible to have a token in play that only some characters can actually see? To my knowledge, I do not think this is possible.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Silvyre said: Flow said: By the way, Is it possible to have a token in play that only some characters can actually see? To my knowledge, I do not think this is possible. This&nbsp; suggestion thread has some bits in it about that aspect. I would normally suggest casting a vote but if you (Flow) have not been here a year or a subscriber, you do not have any votes yet, but it is something to read.