Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Showing health bar but not Numerical Value to Players?

Is it possible to assign tokens to player and have them be able to see the bars and move the tokens, but not to click on the token to get the exact numerical value of the bar? I wanted to have a trial run with players not knowing the exact amount of their HP, and having a bar seems like a good approximation of their own status without me going "You're good", " You have a few bruises", "You're bleeding", " You're badly hurt", "You barely stand" every round, because players are going to ask constantly, and I think we'd quickly set for standard phrases anyway, so a bar may actually be a quicker way to get the point across. I know I can simply assign everything to me and move them around when and where they want, but I'd prefer not to get this kind of control away from them, if possible.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
On the Player Permissions tab of the Edit Token dialog, you can give them the ability to see the bar, but not edit it. That said, any player can get the bar's value with something like @{selected|bar1} and @{selected|bar1|max}, whether they can edit the bar or not, whether they can see the bar or not. Even if they can't select the token, they can get the value with @{target|Example|bar1} and @{target|Example|bar1|max}. If the information is stored on a character's attribute, they can get it with @{Character Name|attribute name} (and if there's a token linked to the character, they can also use selected/target). The only fields completely invisible to the players are GM Notes (tokens, handouts, characters), and the Notes/Bio (handouts, characters) of things not visible in a player's journal.
Which is why I asked for an option to disallow certain attributes from being able to be targeted in such a manner years ago when those options were introduced. Still hasn't happened.
There is a nice API-script that give some alternatives to the Health-bar - it requires a subscription however. Well recommended. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2139713/script-aura-slash-tint-healthcolor/?pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2139713/script-aura-slash-tint-healthcolor/?pagenum=1</a>

Edited 1460378437
Brian said: On the Player Permissions tab of the Edit Token dialog, you can give them the ability to see the bar, but not edit it. That said, any player can get the bar's value with something like @{selected|bar1} and @{selected|bar1|max}, whether they can edit the bar or not, whether they can see the bar or not. Even if they can't select the token, they can get the value with @{target|Example|bar1} and @{target|Example|bar1|max}. If the information is stored on a character's attribute, they can get it with @{Character Name|attribute name} (and if there's a token linked to the character, they can also use selected/target). The only fields completely invisible to the players are GM Notes (tokens, handouts, characters), and the Notes/Bio (handouts, characters) of things not visible in a player's journal. So if they can't edit, they can't click on the token to have the three circles with the numbers on them appear, while still being able to move the token around? As for the rest, I really don't think my players are tech-savvy enough to go in code, also the grid is on two pcs, one for me, and one for the rest of the table, so it's not like they can go and scribble as they wish EDIT Tried to tinker with tokens setting, and can't come up with an easy way to have players see the health-bar, but not have the number bubble pop up every time they click on the token. Is there some backdoor way, or the only way is take away the control on the tokens and have them measure and draw on the board, but only me moving everything?