Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Editing handouts

I tried setting up some handouts this afternoon. Several problems. First, in the "edit" window for "Mysterious note", the main panel told me to "Drop a file" or "Browse for a file. I tried dropping a PDF. I tried browsing a PDF. I tried dropping a .doc. I tried browsing for a .doc. In no case did this work. I got a striped green and green bar and waited for five minutes with no result, then cancelled. • If that is supposed to be *graphics file*, it ought to say so. • If I tried to upload a file of inappropriate type I ought to get an error message, not a mysterious green striped bar. Cancelling out and starting again, I copied the text required from a Word for Mac document and pasted it in to "description". That worked fine except that (1) a bunch of version info and other crap appeared at the beginning of each pasting, and if I wasn't very careful the first heading adopted its format and then couldn't be fixed using the tools available, and (2) the ruler for the last paragraph was routinely mangled, as you expect with Word. Must remember to add, copy, paste, and delete a sacrificial line feed at the end of all Word copies. While I was editing the description, the floating palette for text formatting was too close to the text insertion point and danced around in an idiotic an very distracting way. Damned thing was superimposed on the text and wouldn't stay still.
I have some character sheets that consist of forms filled in by hand, and I wanted to turn them into handouts. Scanned them, producing .tiff files. Tried dropping one. Tried browsing it. In either case I got neither results nor an error message, just a green and green striped bar that sat there for until I cancelled out (after twenty minutes. So I converted the .tiff files to .gif files. These I could drop! Worked fine! • Where it says "drop a file" or "browse for a file", there has to be some sort of qualification to say which types of files will work. • If you drop or browse a file of incompatible type, you have to get an error message.
I ran in to this with my early attempts to upload a Fiasco playmat, which had been saved as a PDF. It took me several minutes of watching the green bar to realize that perhaps I needed an image file.
Richard
Roll20 Team
Thanks Brett! These bugs are noted.
Just in case anyone else comes across this, the accepted file types right now for all upload boxes (Character portraits, Handouts, dropping onto the tabletop) are JPG, PNG, and GIF. It is on my list to add in better error reporting.
Also in the next update, the formatting bar will now stick to the top of the edit box instead of trying to follow around where you click.
Can you please add at least txt and doc. Having images only isn't that helpful.