Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

One Player sees through Dynamic Lighting

Kinda of a bummer. It ruins it for him, because he can see and move through all obstructions. (turned on fog of war to cap his sight) He was using chrome. We done the following: 1. turned fog of war on/off 2. turned dynamic lighting on/off 3. turned LOS on/off 4. moved player to different map and back 5. had him reload map 6. I reloaded map 7. had someone else test to see if they had dynamic lighting (it worked for the other player) 8. created new dynamic lighting lines 9. gave up and posted here Is there something that I'm missing? :(
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Usually something like this happens due to the player having a slow internet connection but sometimes it is just the settings. Is your page, you are having problems with, setup similar to this and  the token looking similiarly like this  

Edited 1469163309
I even deleted his character token and he could still see through everything. :( I dropped it back on the map. I believe originally he couldn't  see anything like normal. When I dropped a token and assigned it to his character is when it happened. I tried all combinations of emit light, sight, and all players can see light.  *edit*
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Have you clicked on the token and ctrl+L to see how it functions? Can you provide a screen shot of the token's setting also? Might need the player to do a troubleshooting guide but I just want to be sure all the settings are correct first. The first three steps of our guide to Solving Technical Issues ? Step 1: Make sure to use the right browser Please check if these issues persist when using both Chrome and Firefox. Step 2: Ensure that there are no extensions/addons interfering with Roll20 Please disable all add-ons/extensions and anti-virus programs. Step 3: Clear your cache If none of the above succeeds, please thoroughly work through Step 4 . (Don't forget the complete Console Log!)
The token was deleted in hopes that it was fix the issue. I did not try ctrl+L. I'll make a new token and show that one? (I forwarded the steps to my player and thank you for the assistance)
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
If the player is assigned (viewable, controlled & editted by) to the sheet then all the settings (they look proper) are applied. Give it the ctr+L check (you can also assign yourself to the sheet just like the player and rejoin as a player to check also) and see if it all works. If it does for you, have the player try it. If it doesn't work for the player have him post.
They are at work. As far as I can tell this is the only player that has the issue. The token I created seems to work for me. I will have him take a look at it. Thank you for the fast responses. I hope I can knock this out before our game on saturday. lol

Edited 1469207346
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
I'v also had this issue and there's a  dev response that talks about how it can be related to the player's javascript settings as Dynamic Lighting is run by that. So, if you  they disable it or it isn't working on their end, then they don't see your DL lighting paths.
This might be unrelated, but a city map that I have is now is doing the exact opposite. I create characters on it. The thing is that the tokens respect dynamic lighting, but not fog of war. lol?
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
It looks to me like that is respecting the fog of war (have the large angular black areas, especially that one that cuts into the world hologram in the center that I'm assuming are the unrevealed areas in the fog of war).
Reset Fog. Turned Fog on/off. Recreated token. Turned global allumination on/off. Lol what is going on w/ this campaign?
@Scott When I use ctrl+L on the other maps it shows the same black darkness that the dynamic lighting lines have. I checked to make sure I wasn't mistaken.
Tried Firefox and Chrome OS:Win10 Browser:Chrome Version: Version 51.0.2704.103 m Javascript enabled Builtin AV No browser addons on either browser I have the console info.. do you want me to drop it into here or email it to the support email? I don't know how to attach files to this post. It would be just a big blah of stuff in the thread.

Edited 1469214111
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Ryan L. said: Ah, that was what was throwing me. Quick question, is the tile set actually darker past your fog-o-war line? as in did you use a different tile set there? If not, then it looks like the fog of war is still working, and you've just got different opacity settings for your fog of war and DL  your fog of war is just still showing the GM opaqueness where as the DL paths are fully blocking sight. The Ctrl-L only mimics player DL vision as far as I know, not fog of war interaction (It still shows the GM opacity there). For Instance at full opacity on GM view I get this: But with no GM opacity, I get this with Ctrl-L being used: Hope that helps, Scott EDIT: CTRL-L was used for both screen captures.

Edited 1469219493
Ok, that fixes the fog of war issue. Thank you for that, Scott. I guess i'll advise on the results from my player
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Glad it helped, good luck with the original issue, I'd love to know a relialble way to prevent it/fix it.

Edited 1469225976
Phil B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
You can paste it in the thread here, or you can use something like  pastebin . CTRL+L can be iffy sometimes. The best way to check, if ctrl+L isn't working as intended, is to assign the token to your account then "Log in as Player" from the bottom of the settings menu in the chat panel. This will give you the real deal of what the players will see, and as long as you have that token assigned to you before you switch you should be able to see(or not see) the fog of war/dynamic lighting. As for your friend not seeing dynamic lighting, this is most likely an issue with their browser either having JavaScript (JS) turned off or blocking the JS on that page. Like I said in the post that Scott linked, Dynamic Lighting is run by the JS so if it's being blocked or not loading correctly then the Dynamic Lighting isn't going to work as intended. You should ask the player who's having the issues to go through the steps in our  Technical Issues Wiki , specifically the part about using the right browser, FireFox or Chrome, and the part about disabling extensions and possibly your antivirus software as they can both get in the way of JS running properly. 
Thank you, Phil. I will do that and report back, ASAP. :)

Edited 1469299751
I've been having this problem with one player, and we finally "fixed" it when he turned off his hardware acceleration. So I'm not sure how that all interacts with everything, but you can see if having your player turn off any hardware acceleration he has on takes care of it. EDIT: Well, it's the opposite of what I thought? He said turning the hardware acceleration on is what fixed it. Soooo... *shrug*
Player in question here, the last suggestion by Halcy was the correct assumption.  Working as expected after turning my hardware acceleration on in Chrome.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
We are happy to hear your problem was solved. I'm going to close and mark this thread as resolved. Thank you for helping out Scott C and Halcy.