Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[LFP] Custom System/Fantasy Setting - Weekends @ 10AM EDT. (5 stable players + GM looking for a few more)

Edited 1472288192
New post since our old one has expired and cannot be re-opened but can be found here for testimonials: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2989851/lfp-cust" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2989851/lfp-cust</a>... A spot has opened up so we would like to re-extend an invitation. Greetings fellow players, A pre-emptive sorry for wall of text! (read carefully however) We are looking for a few people to fill our team. We are currently 6 players (5 males and one female) GM included (all stable) we aim to have 6 players + GM. It is on first come, first serve basis (who passes interviews). we are looking for 1-2 players. This is where it gets tricky I’m afraid, our requirements are quite specific and will probably only appeal to a small audience frequenting these boards but we prefer the right people (for our vision) over quantity so if this recruitment post ends up being around for a while, then that is what it will be. So let’s get all the disclaimers out of the way first before we get to the good stuff: (this is just to make sure people do not waste our or their own time) You must pass an interview so we are sure that the interests and wishes of the existing players is met, as well as to ensure a meeting of the mind for the scope and direction this campaign is going for. We reserve the right to deny all applicants (politely) for whatever reason or no reason at all if we so choose. You must be 21+ (violence, very graphic, sexual content etc. may appear) sorry youngsters! You must have TeamSpeak 3 capability (free voice program) and clear voice on the mike (sorry, no terrible voice qualities allowed) Sessions are audio only, so no webcam required&nbsp;(at least for now) We use Discord for out of session chat group communication and coordination. You must observe and practice the art of commitment (if you like what you see and pass the interview) We have no interest or tolerance for people who do not attend the sessions we all agree to have. We do not demand anything but fair treatment. If you cannot make it to a session, it will be expected of you to inform us in reasonable advance. Real life racism, sexism, or any other discriminatory behavior is unwelcome and will get you removed. (in-game is a different matter, setting is harsh and not for people looking for “political correctness”) Most of the materials released to the players require the use of Adobe Reader Must have a Roll20 Account or make one (free) You must have a basic understanding of RPG games but no veterancy is required. You must be willing to create a user profile on our site at: Our Site People who are reserved, or does not truly want this need not apply. We have not the time to enter a tug-of-war with people resistant to the concept or people with glass-is-always-half-full dispositions. Then a few practical notes: Disclaimer #1: <a href="http://ascendancy.dk/important-notification-about-" rel="nofollow">http://ascendancy.dk/important-notification-about-</a>... Disclaimer #2: <a href="http://ascendancy.dk/a-disclaimer-about-my-system/" rel="nofollow">http://ascendancy.dk/a-disclaimer-about-my-system/</a> Despite the below mentioned complexity level, fear not. This game does not require a Phd in Math, nor is it our intent to convey it as such. It is not overly "crunchy" it simply refers to the scale, scope and depth and the fact it is a new system to learn. It is in short not just a "sunday stroll in the sun" sort to speak, it requires fortitude and grit to absorb in its entirety. We usually meet every other Saturday, 10AM EDT and last 9+ hours (breaks included). That said, we set the time for the next game at the end of each session so there is some (not much) flexibility. (so that would be Sat 3rd of September 2016 and then every other week after) We are looking for RP oriented players, not min-maxers or fantasy professors. Our focus is simply being part of an immersive, engaging and dynamic story free of the limitations of most systems. This requires dedication to the essence of Roleplay itself. That said, the system has a lot of depth but never at the expense of a player’s freedom. Please note that this is not an invite for a casual session or two. This system is incredibly complex and requires a high degree of dedication and grit from all its players, beginner or veteran alike. It is also completely home-brewed and private so you can’t just google your inquiries. While the learning curve is tremendous, the investment in time and effort is rewarded beyond measure. If you are willing to put the work in, you’ll find the setting has depth beyond anything you’ve ever experienced. So if you want instant satisfaction look elsewhere. If you want a long-term, completely immersive gaming experience then this is where you’ll find it. This setting tries to strike a balance between mechanics and storytelling, it does not believe in a binary approach where one is excluded above the other, here we believe both goes hand in hand for the best experience. If you pass the interview we give you a 3 month trial, during this time we can better assess if you are a fit or not. Mostly this stage is largely irrelevant, and most if not all of the time this is but a footnote of practicality. Phew, all out of breath! Now on to the main event! So what is all this Jazz you ask? Well let me tell ya! The setting is Classic High-Fantasy, completely developed by the GM (of 20+ years). We host our own RP session blog found here: Our RPG Blog Site where the GM (me) also chronicles a novel-esque story about the adventurers in our group (on hold for full team formation before start), forming a continuous dynamic and entirely player-driven fictional story as well as hosting hand-outs, maps and other tidbits for the players. To give you a taste, it draws inspiration from Forgotten Realms, Warhammer Fantasy, Dragonlance and Lord of the Rings among many other sources. An ultra-compressed introduction of the system concept can be found here: Compressed Setting Concept Introduction Here are a few pictures if you wish to see some examples of the level of fidelity and detail that goes into the system (a picture of the current map the adventurers traverse as well as a few screenshots of parts of the character sheet): Bits (not all) of a Character Sheet Previous whereabouts of the adventurers (map): Previous Active Local Map of the Adventurers Current player handout for the God of Judgement: God of Judgement Player Handout Let us know either in this thread or through PM´s if you are interested to see how far down the rabbit hole goes. Thank you for taking the time to read all of this and hope to see you around soon! If you read all this and the important links that goes with it, you deserve applause and I and the team will look forward to hearing from you in earnest! -assuming we peaked your interest ;) Do not bother applying if you have not read the entirety of this post as well as the materials at the links posted, yes it is quite the read but an important one for us to convey to any would-be-applicants, if we get a bunch of questions that are already answered here then you are not what we are looking for because you did not pay due diligence and we want people of the right caliber. We hope that this massive and in-depth post will not serve as discouragement but rather as testimony that we take our RP as seriously as the players who frequent our sessions, this may seem a bit "contractual" but it works for the applicant as well so she/he may know that we take their time as serious as we do ours. May it become my privilege and honor to serve you in our adventures. Cheers The Ascendancy RP team.
Hi there, I'm just chiming in as a long term member of the team. I just want to say that the&nbsp;GM is a master of putting players into difficult but profoundly interesting situations. I'm not talking about "you are surrounded by 1000 dragons, what do you do? ", &nbsp;but "you've just captured an apparently complete and utter psychopath who kills without remorse, what do you do? " Do you capture him and bring him to some sort of authority? Whose authority? Are they corrupt? Who makes that judgement? Do you feel you have the right to pass judgement then and there? If so, whose laws do you claim to represent, that of men or the gods? Can you even know the will of the gods? Perhaps he can be redeemed? How far are you willing to go to do the right thing?&nbsp;It might seem obvious at first, but when you think about it what is the right choice?&nbsp;In this setting the gods are real and they are watching. There is a reason why the game is called Ascendancy... As a player you have total freedom to do what you feel you need to do. However, everything you do here has consequence, often subtle, and the GM carefully weaves a meticulous web that you may not see until it is too late. Maybe you won't see it at all, as the setting is always in motion independent of the players. This is a game with a living, breathing universe ready for the players to step in to, and they will influence it one way or another.&nbsp; This isn't meant to intimidate new players into thinking this is too complex and only 'elite' players need apply. Anything but. All you need is an open mind, an inquisitive soul and the grit to see things through. For here is an adventure unlike any other you will experience ready and waiting for you.&nbsp;

Edited 1472650579
Hello. I'm also a long time member of the team and first of i want to agree with what Jd has written.&nbsp; But also there a some things i wanted to bring to your attention. I have played roleplaying on and off for the last 25 years and i have played most of the popular and some less know settings and systems. When i joined this group i went in willing to try something new and i was not disapointed.&nbsp; &nbsp; First off i have never interviewed for a roleplaying group before. But during the interview i understod that there was a reason for this and i understod the thoughts behind it. After the interview i had a much better understanding of what this campaign and setting was like and knew what&nbsp;i was joining. As Jd wrote there are some though decisions that the group is faced with that need to be taken seriously. they can have either a positiv or a negativ impact on the group as a hole. and have the posibility to change what directions our opertunities the group/player will have in the future. Also some decisions will have a reaction right then and their but others might take a bit longer. But every descision will have an impact. What i like about a long running campaign is to develop my charecter and the group. Meaning that going from a nobody to someone in a postion to help our be listen to by the people higher up. In this setting i have after some time found out that the GM has given us that posibility to do whatever we want like a true sandbox game that you might know from a computer game. The world i huge and everyone in it is not a "standard" Npc they interact and "feel" like you would think that people "act" and "feel". So the interaction and impact of either becoming friends with the local farmer our his enemy has an impact on you and the group. Also it could end up haveing far reaching consequence. One of the biggest things for me as a player is that the world/setting is evolved enough so if i go in the "wrong" direction i wount feel like i am being pull back on the right "path". That is not a problem here the world/setting is fleshed out and we can go where ever we want and there will be things/people that we would encounter and see that makes sense and does not feel like "standard none supstanced NPC's". For me personaly that is a big plus and it makes me want to know more about the world and the people in it rather then going from quest to quest killing things. i want to develop my charecter on a personal level but also get connections/friendships with NPC's. It makes my charecter and story feel more grand and epic in a way that i have not experienced in any other roleplaying game. The attention from the GM's side for details that in a normal setting you would not think that they had a meaning and was just fluff to get a better "picture" of the area is amazing there is a meaning to every thing you see and meet. It might not become apparent right away but i will garante that it will become apparent at some point. An example. Comming to a new area and seeing that the road has changed to a cobble stone road rather then the dirt road you walked on yesterday. Normally you would not think that there was anything special about that it's just some fluff. But that it would end up changeing the direction the group whent and that is was a hint to a mayor plot in this area is not something i was use too.&nbsp; Also just writeing a good backstory for you charecter can have a large impact on how people will greet you, how people will react to you, if your word carries weight in the area and be woven in to the story in such a way that it will have impact what you charecter does for the future of your familie. Getting the urge to take note's is for me a good sign that this is gonna be good. Because you want to remember both what you haven encountered but also all the small hints and relations that you build so you can expand apon them and remember that you do have options you might not think of in the moment. But they are there because you used the time to build them and now have the option to use what you might not have been able to without them. The group is begining to have encounters and choices that have moral and ethical impact on them and the world around them and i am very much looking forward to where it is gonna go. But just that it is here and it will have an impact is just one of the many reasons why i like this group and game. On an final note. Like what Jd wrote. You dont need any experience in games like this the GM is good at giveing feedback and some constructive criticism. That help the indevidual player and the group as a hole to function better. I would suggest at least do the interview to get more knowledge about the world and system rather than not giveing it a try and missing out on a game as eye opening as this has been for me even with the experience i had going into this.
I am absolutely astounded by the depth, breadth, and quality presented thus far for Ascendancy. It is absolutely mind staggering! From the character sheets, to the website, to the lore itself. For those in the game it seems like you are in the best of hands :). I really loved the lore and flexibility in which the system provides.&nbsp;