Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Art Search criteria question.

As Roll20 ages and I start to get more demanding in the imagery for my games, I'm finding it harder and harder to find basic things as time goes on. I'm curious as to what kind of criteria or search algorithms Roll20 uses when searching for art assets. When I select "everything" from the dropdown menu, I kind of expect it to search for everything with my keywords, and yet when I search for a generic term like "red crystal" I get no results. Supposedly the search is "powered by Google" but when I search for the same terms on Google images I get literally millions of results. It feels like (and this just may be my personal opinion bias) that the search is getting progressively worse and returning fewer results.
I sort of agree and definitely see the search as a last ditch option (so assuming that this isnt the way roll20 want it maybe it could be done better), I don't know if its just me but I tend to very rarely use the inbuilt search for images (Other than searching for my own uploads/purchases) generally I pull from Google, maybe edit a bit, and upload too roll20 with anything I want to use, the only time I really use the search is when I need something out of the blue during a session.
In three years I have only used 1/4 of my data limit, and i could easily delete 1/2 of what I have. Google, Deviant Art, Pinterest and dozens of other sites out there have tons of stuff. The art search is, as stated best left for "You summon what?" situations...
Months ago when I was using Roll20 it seemed like I could generally find an acceptable image for what I wanted through the in program search. Just recently I started using the program again...and the art search function is...functionally worthless. The only things it brings up for tokens are premium assets to buy, or things I already have in my library. The only time I've actually seen anything outside of those two has been when I go to search "everything" and I get a small selection of random internet pics.
Ah, so it's not just me!  What a waste of what could be such an awesome feature!

Edited 1476458385
Gold
Forum Champion
For the last couple months, I seem to never get any search results "From The Web" in Roll20 when my search term is 2 words.  For example "pumpkin" works, but "pumpkin spice" finds nothing. Is it mainly multi-word search terms giving nothing, or is it other searches too?