Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Volo's Guide to Monsters Official Bug Thread

Edited 1478275615
Gid
Roll20 Team
Found an issue with the Volo's Compendium entries? Issue with the module maps? Something else? Report them here.

Edited 1478276896
The Black Guard Drake monster token has what looks like a placeholder token. No art, just a token that says Black Guard Drake. Same goes for Orc Hand of Yurtrus, and White Guard Drake. 
Gid
Roll20 Team
Larfox said: The Black Guard Drake monster token has what looks like a placeholder token. No art, just a token that says Black Guard Drake. There were a handful of creatures where we were unfortunately not allowed to contract artwork for. In those instances, we created a token that has the name of the creature inside it. Black Guard Drake, Deep Rothe, Orc Hand of Yurtrus, Rothe, Stench Cow, and White Guard Drake are the creatures that are treated in this fashion.

Edited 1478278976
Elder Brain does not work correctly when you drag and drop it into a sheet it does not populate attacks and such correctly. Not that my players should worry that this was one of my first creatures to import.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
John said: Elder Brain does not work correctly when you drag and drop it into a sheet it does not populate attacks and such correctly. Not that my players should worry that this was one of my first creatures to import. It should be fixed and importing correctly now. Let us know if you see any other issues.
Restarted browser, reloaded Roll20 still having issue but only with elder Brain.  Shaped v6.5.1 NPC sheet Drag and drop just like I did for all of the others but only things that gets added is Stats, Saves, Skills, senses, languages, Challenge and Prof Bonus All the rest shows unusable in the 'Regional Effects' section.
Not really a bug, but the token for the dreadnought doesn't have its HP inputted in like other tokens.
Pre-ordered Volo's Guide but I can't find the compendium anywhere.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Kokiteno said: Pre-ordered Volo's Guide but I can't find the compendium anywhere. Kokiteno, if you have Volo's unlocked, it will be fully integrated with the  5th Edition Compendium . The Volo's Index Page within the Compendium can be found  here . If you're being redirected to Volo's purchase page instead, let us know and we'll get that straightened out for you.
Any reason that every token action in SKT auto-whispers to the GM, while the Volo's tokens don't?
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
John said: Restarted browser, reloaded Roll20 still having issue but only with elder Brain.  Shaped v6.5.1 NPC sheet I can't speak for the Shaped sheet. However, with the Official 5E OGL sheet it's working. You should bring up your concern with the sheet author.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Mend said: Any reason that every token action in SKT auto-whispers to the GM, while the Volo's tokens don't? The entries for SKT were created individually by hand. Where as the drag and drop entries from the Compendium are an automatic journal creation process. I'll check with the devs on that; however, as that makes sense to automate that setting as well as automatically marking the journal's sheet to the NPC version.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Joshua S. said over here : I purchased Volo's Monster guid. Got it enjoying it but I cant seem to get the drag and drop tokens to work for me. I have been trying to drop them into the game and nothing seems to be working to get them from the compendium to the game board.
Hi, It seems there is a problem with spellcasters (Abjurer for exemple) . Spells aren't set in the character sheet and the npc isn't flag as spellcasting npc. 
Gid
Roll20 Team
GenKitty said: Joshua S. said over here : I purchased Volo's Monster guid. Got it enjoying it but I cant seem to get the drag and drop tokens to work for me. I have been trying to drop them into the game and nothing seems to be working to get them from the compendium to the game board. Joshua, double checking here, but are you using the Compendium within the Compendium Tab of a Roll20 game. Drag and Drop only works within the Roll20 application itself. If you are, which character sheet are you using? Shaped? The Official 5th Edition OGL Sheet?
Gid
Roll20 Team
Triloop said: Hi, It seems there is a problem with spellcasters (Abjurer for exemple) . Spells aren't set in the character sheet and the npc isn't flag as spellcasting npc.  There was an intentional decision made with spellcaster entries to limit the individual spells down to the most commonly used attack ones. For those we created a separate action for them to roll from the sheet. We went with this method instead of having an NPC sheet with every single spell inputted under Spellcasting to keep the attribute bloat low to keep your games optimized. That being said, any spellcasting NPC should have all their spells listed under their Spellcasting Trait on the NPC sheet when you do a drag and drop from the Compendium.
An indicator in the compendium monsters list for which monsters have tokens available would be good. For example ancient black dragon isn't draggable because it's from the srd, but there's no way of knowing that without clicking into it and looking.
Is there a reason why there are no pre-built character sheets for all the monsters in the guide akin to STK? I also second that we need some kind of search tag for monsters that have tokens in them and are draggable. Just searching "Volo" in the compendium does not cut it. Also noticed that some entries are hidden due to the way they are set up. For example Russet Mold is located inside the Vegepygmy entry and I am unable to search and identify Russet Mold unless I search for Vegepygmy instead, is this intentional?
Was not sure where to post this, but this seems like the place for questions regarding Volo's guide: I'm interested in roll20's integration of the product, but I would also like to purchase the book.  In the future, could there be a deal worked out with WotC and roll20 to buy both at once at a discount rather than buying them separately?  

Edited 1478311694
Monsters by Environment and Monsters by Challenge Rating Index do not work. They indicate "Not found{deleted)". EDIT: Sorry, I found the index for these 2 under the "CategoryIndex" section in the compendium after searching "Volo".  When searching "Volo" in the compendium, under the Rules category, the Monster by environment and Monsters by challenge rating do not work. So the upside is that the information is there and can be found, its just that they way I searched for it, two of the links has been deleted (being Monsters by Environment and Monsters by Challenge Rating) Regardless, I'm having a ball checking out the new mobs.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Paul B. said: Monsters by Environment and Monsters by Challenge Rating Index do not work. They indicate "Not found{deleted)". EDIT: Sorry, I found the index for these 2 under the "CategoryIndex" section in the compendium after searching "Volo".  When searching "Volo" in the compendium, under the Rules category, the Monster by environment and Monsters by challenge rating do not work. So the upside is that the information is there and can be found, its just that they way I searched for it, two of the links has been deleted (being Monsters by Environment and Monsters by Challenge Rating) Regardless, I'm having a ball checking out the new mobs. Thank you for pointing that out. I'm seeing that too. We'll figure out  what happened there. Brother Sharp said: Is there a reason why there are no pre-built character sheets for all the monsters in the guide akin to STK? I also second that we need some kind of search tag for monsters that have tokens in them and are draggable. Just searching "Volo" in the compendium does not cut it. Also noticed that some entries are hidden due to the way they are set up. For example Russet Mold is located inside the Vegepygmy entry and I am unable to search and identify Russet Mold unless I search for Vegepygmy instead, is this intentional? The Token Art page that comes along with the lair maps module are their for your convenience if you want to use the art elsewhere in your campaigns. Any Volo's pre-statted, token-assigned, character journal is immediately obtainable by looking them up from the Compendium and dragging them into any of your games without having to utilize the character vault or through the transmogrifier. Having them available as needed in this fashion keeps you from having to forage through journal bloat which can slow down with loading the campaign in general. In Storm King's Thunder and Lost Mine of Phandelver, there isn't an option to short-hand/exclude any NPC or monster, so they need to have all the journals enclosed inside. A visual cue that you and Gabriel403 suggestion regarding which Compendium entries are drag and drop is a solid point. Good eye with the Russet Mold. That's an odd entry. The way its formatted in the actual book, it's similar to how they list monster variants. Though this monster(?) doesn't follow a traditional sheet structure. I'll ask the other devs about this. Thank you everyone for all the input so far. Please keep them coming!
I purchased the bundle and see the additions to the compendium. But players in my campaign do not. Shouldn't  they be able able to see them in my game? 

Edited 1478332885
Not so much of a bug as a spelling error possibly? Under the "Variant: Gazer Familiar" Familiar. The gazer can serve another creature as a familiar, forming a Telepathic Bond with its willing master, provided that the mater is at least a 3rd-level spellcaster. While the two are bonded, the master can sense what the gazer senses as long as they are within 1 mile of each other. If its master causes it physical harm, the gazer will end its service as a familiar, breaking the Telepathic Bond .    "Provided the mater is at least 3rd level" I assume that's suppose to be master. I saw a few more, but forgot to place mark them in my brain.
Kristin C. said: A visual cue that you and Gabriel403 suggestion regarding which Compendium entries are drag and drop is a solid point. Thank you everyone for all the input so far. Please keep them coming! Thanks Kristin, hope to see this sometime soon :)
Gary W. said: I purchased the bundle and see the additions to the compendium. But players in my campaign do not. Shouldn't  they be able able to see them in my game?  I would like to have this clarified as well. The new races in particular would be very handy to share with players so they can utilize them without having to relay the information back and forth as they create a new sheet.
Tim F. said: Gary W. said: I purchased the bundle and see the additions to the compendium. But players in my campaign do not. Shouldn't  they be able able to see them in my game?  I would like to have this clarified as well. The new races in particular would be very handy to share with players so they can utilize them without having to relay the information back and forth as they create a new sheet. Darn, I thought that was how it's supposed to work, I've got a group building characters on thursday, was hoping to utilise these!
what is the standard format for the 3 bars that the token uses? It looks like at least some have bar 1 as speed, bar 2 as ac, and bar 3 as nothing. does this seem unuseful to anyone else or am I missing something? To me, HP and AC are a minimum, by default. 
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Kip84 asked over here : Hey everyone, So I just bought the Volo's guide to monsters module and wanted to use it with my existing campaign, but I can't find a way to add it to my current campaign. Is there a way? Do I have to start a new campaign and transfer the characters? Can I transfer maps ive made on one campaign to another campaign? Thanks, Kip84
Gabriel403 said: Tim F. said: Gary W. said: I purchased the bundle and see the additions to the compendium. But players in my campaign do not. Shouldn't  they be able able to see them in my game?  I would like to have this clarified as well. The new races in particular would be very handy to share with players so they can utilize them without having to relay the information back and forth as they create a new sheet. Darn, I thought that was how it's supposed to work, I've got a group building characters on thursday, was hoping to utilise these! It makes sense with how roll20 has worked with features to date, and how Fantasy Grounds, has works with WOTC resources. If the DM buys it you can use it in their game. It will be an issue for many users, perhaps even a reason to consider switching platforms. 
Gary W. said: Gabriel403 said: Tim F. said: Gary W. said: I purchased the bundle and see the additions to the compendium. But players in my campaign do not. Shouldn't  they be able able to see them in my game?  I would like to have this clarified as well. The new races in particular would be very handy to share with players so they can utilize them without having to relay the information back and forth as they create a new sheet. Darn, I thought that was how it's supposed to work, I've got a group building characters on thursday, was hoping to utilise these! It makes sense with how roll20 has worked with features to date, and how Fantasy Grounds, has works with WOTC resources. If the DM buys it you can use it in their game. It will be an issue for many users, perhaps even a reason to consider switching platforms.  Dev Team? Any official response? It would be a dealbreaker to me if my players had to buy the "books" too. I was migrating from FG to Roll20, but now I am not sure if this was the right decision...
When trying to purchase "Volo's guide to monsters" it doesn't give the option to use paypal. Other WOTC content can be bought with paypal (including those with the same price), I tried Firefox, Chrome and Edge but none of those give the option.  Did some checking on the forum but couldn't find this issue posted yet. So is there a reason I can't use Paypal to purchase it or is this an oversight/bug? (does anyone else has this)?
I understand this maybe is not the place to ask this, however I wanted to know if you have any plans to allow user-uploaded images for compendium entries. Almost all the NPC tokens are unusable and some monsters look off. I could upload or choose my own image for the character sheet and drag from the compendium but I would have to do this for every game. I could also create them on a game which has all the tokens and transmogrify them, but this would go against your stance of "dragging them into any of your games without having to utilize the character vault or through the transmogrifier".
I am also getting the issue of the monster tokens not having any of the token fields populated, health, AC, and speed do not show automatically. Is this intentional or a bug that will be fixed? Also, do we have a time frame for when we will be able to import the monster lairs into our own campaigns? Without that function the usefulness of the lair maps drops sharply for me. 
Silvyre
Forum Champion
For those asking about who can access what parts of VGtM, please refer to Suzanne's answer within another thread : Suzanne W. said: The same rules for premium subscriptions apply to in-game access of Volo's Guide to Monsters. If a DM purchases Volo's Guide on Roll20, and then adds Volo's Guide content to their game, all players in that game will have access to the content in-game. As for the web version of the Volo's Guide Compendium entries, individual users will need to purchase Volo's Guide to access that content.
As of Friday evening the players could not see the new races in the compendium while logged in to the campaign. 
So I found an answer to the 'Importing lair maps to existing campaigns' question I and others asked  here Riley D. said: The Aaron said: In particular: Kristin C. said: If your campaign has the 5E Compendium attached to your campaign, then you'll automatically have access to Volo's content after purchase. With the exception of the seven lair maps, all of the book's content is in the Compendium. When you purchase this item, it unlocks readability of that part of 5th Edition Compendium. The beast lair pages we're setting up a different method to let you essentially transmogrify them into your campaign without being a Pro user. I should note, this "Transmogrify as not a Pro User" feature did not make it to launch, but it is very close. Once it's available we'll be going back and adding it retroactively for Volo's Guide. But for now you have to be either a Pro user to Transmogrify or you have to use the Lair Maps in a new game. I will update this thread when the new feature is available, it should be in about 2 weeks or less. I just don't want anyone buying it based on that if that's the clinching factor.
The Gnoll Hunter creature entry is listed as humanoid (giant) rather than what I assume is supposed to be humanoid (gnoll)
Tetsuo
Forum Champion
Silvyre said: For those asking about who can access what parts of VGtM, please refer to Suzanne's answer within another thread : Suzanne W. said: The same rules for premium subscriptions apply to in-game access of Volo's Guide to Monsters. If a DM purchases Volo's Guide on Roll20, and then adds Volo's Guide content to their game, all players in that game will have access to the content in-game. As for the web version of the Volo's Guide Compendium entries, individual users will need to purchase Volo's Guide to access that content. My players are unable to access the new races from the in-game compendium.
My players also have no access to anything Volo
Gid
Roll20 Team
Regarding Player Access for Volo's: We're currently designing a method that will allow GMs to drag and drop Compendium entries as Handouts into their campaign for player's use. We don't have a definitive ETA for this, but we should have progress on it this week and we'll keep you updated.
I initially thought that the Firenewt Warlock of Imix did not have an Armour Class, but it is at the bottom of the creature entry, below its spell list.
None of the tokens that I've tested are set up the same as the previous two products, which is pretty annoying, especially since I just finished converting hundreds of tokens to the standards you set. These new tokens seem to have the red bar for health instead of your former standard of green. In addition they don't have name plates or vision set up. Is there a reason you're changing your standard from product to product? It's pretty annoying.
I purchased Volo's guide, and it works fine on the regular server.  However, none of my DnD games on the Dev server can access the compendium information or the module for the game.  Is there something special I need to do to use Volo's guide on the Dev Server?
Robert D. said: None of the tokens that I've tested are set up the same as the previous two products, which is pretty annoying, especially since I just finished converting hundreds of tokens to the standards you set. These new tokens seem to have the red bar for health instead of your former standard of green. In addition they don't have name plates or vision set up. Is there a reason you're changing your standard from product to product? It's pretty annoying. Very annoying. Please fix this.
Robert D. said: None of the tokens that I've tested are set up the same as the previous two products, which is pretty annoying, especially since I just finished converting hundreds of tokens to the standards you set. These new tokens seem to have the red bar for health instead of your former standard of green. In addition they don't have name plates or vision set up. Is there a reason you're changing your standard from product to product? It's pretty annoying. Even better would be a system that would let people define default token settings that they prefer.  The sheets have all of the information, but getting it linked to the bars they want or use would be a nice quality of life improvement.
sleeont said: Robert D. said: None of the tokens that I've tested are set up the same as the previous two products, which is pretty annoying, especially since I just finished converting hundreds of tokens to the standards you set. These new tokens seem to have the red bar for health instead of your former standard of green. In addition they don't have name plates or vision set up. Is there a reason you're changing your standard from product to product? It's pretty annoying. Very annoying. Please fix this. :+1:

Edited 1478650414
Just picked up Volo's, and tried dragging some of the monsters into my Storm King's Thunder campaign (running the standard SRD sheets).  Here are some immediate observations: Token nameplates not setup to be visible Token vision not setup (come on roll20, dynamic lighting is literally "your thing"... promote it!) No HP bars setup.  Speed was assigned to bar 1? Character sheet setup to not roll damage automatically. As Volo's Guide stands right now, I can't just pull a token out of the compendium and go.  I'd have to spend at least 1-2 minutes per token in order for it to match all the other tokens in SKT.  And yes, I realize that scripts can fix all this , but they shouldn't have to.  Someone switching over from FG, or completely new to VTTs, is going to expect consistency between official modules.  And we're not there yet. There needs to be a standard of quality for Roll20's official modules.  All of the tokens setup the same way, all the maps setup the same way, all the handouts setup the same way, etc.  I buy the modules because I expect to be able to run games with as little or less work than sitting down at a table with a book, a dry-erase battlemap, and some minis.  The moment Roll20 modules become more work than making them myself from scratch, I will stop buying them. The good news is that Roll20 has proven it has the want and ability to improve these modules.  The post-launch patches to SKT were very helpful.  I expect that Volo's will be patched soon to fix many of these problems.  Hopefully Roll20 will eventually make it to the point where they can iron out all these bugs pre-launch.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Thank you everyone for bringing up the consistency issues and your patience. We're working on getting them fixed as I type this. This sort of automation is very different from what we've released previously on the Marketplace, so we're still nailing down what's missing, what's expected verses what was delivered, etc. Basically this will be our touchstone project for future products that come along with a Compendium component. The feedback you're giving us helps immensely with our tweaks.
Kristin C. said: Thank you everyone for bringing up the consistency issues and your patience. We're working on getting them fixed as I type this. This sort of automation is very different from what we've released previously on the Marketplace, so we're still nailing down what's missing, what's expected verses what was delivered, etc. Basically this will be our touchstone project for future products that come along with a Compendium component. The feedback you're giving us helps immensely with our tweaks. Thanks for the transparency, Kristin. Your response is encouraging. I hope you guys are able to nail this as I would love to feel confident buying the digital versions instead of the hard copies moving forward. 
No XP stats on any monsters?