Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Single Player Online Access

I imagine this might have been asked before, but I need some tech guidance... I am running Roll20 (5E) at home for a group that plays here in my house in person. We have a big 75" 4K screen for their map, icons, etc. (run from my main PC) and I have the DM view on my laptop. They love this as the whole dynamic lighting effects blow them away and not having to pause to draw maps keeps the game flowing. Apart from that, we play normally, they have their own paper sheets and roll dice etc. Now, the issue is this, on of our core players has headed off to college but she still desperately wants to play. Clearly she can log into Roll20 from her own laptop and she'll have to use an electronic sheet / dice (or we just trust her). But, which does she dial into? My DM system? And how can I set it up such that she can see/hear the other people in the room and talk to them? Any ideas welcome! Thanks!

Edited 1479331812
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
She'll need a roll20 account, and then you would just send her a link to join the game. Once she's joined, she can log in to the game whenever (which is useful for doing character maintenance things like updating sheet stats on a level up without holding up actual sessions). You may find the  Playing in Person wiki useful to see what issues others have run into and how they have solved them. EDIT: realized that wiki doesn't actually have that much info for doing mixed groups. I have seen other forum posts about the topic, I'll try to find those.
Thank you sir!

Edited 1479332207
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
She can create her own account and log into your game as a player using the join-link.  You'll probably need to get a room mic and/or a webcam combo so that the remote player(s) can hear/see what's happening on your end.  She'll also need to use a mic and/or webcam setup so she can communicate with the group.  Other's will have to comment on the technical "details", such as possibly using multiple microphones with a mixer for sound, using more than one camera, adding additional player's computers/laptops on your end to help with communication, etc. Lot's of technical options...  edit: I just went for a cup of coffee Scott.  ;-P

Edited 1479332696
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Hmm, well, i can't find those forum posts, but to answer your other specific question about seeing/hearing everyone; putting a webcam on top of your TV (since it sounds like you already play around it anyways) would be the best way to do that. There's also this post that discusses the merits of a speakerphone for a similar situation:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3990414/slug%7D" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3990414/slug%7D</a> EDIT: Hah, and found this post which you may find useful:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3461329/slug%7D#" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3461329/slug%7D#</a>... @Vince: Haha
Thanks guys - The speaker phone thread was VERY interesting (and I hope my wife doesn't notice when I buy a Yeti!). However, that's just one part of three aspects right? That will let my player hear what's going on, but she needs to see and speak as well... I am really tired right now (work is nuts and I've had about 6 hours sleep in three days) so I just can't put it together... so let me ask some simple questions and I think we can close this off. 1. I assume the remote player connects to the server and 'appears' on my GM screen and the other players' big screen... and where do I find the link to send to het so she can join? 2. I assume the Yeti runs from my GM laptop? 3. I have a Logitech stick-cam that I can use for video - into my GM laptop? 4. How does the player get heard? At the moment, I connect my GM laptop to a sound system fopr sound effects etc. Would her audio come out of there? Sorry for the low/simple level questions but they are the best I can do right now... Steve
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Steven C. said: Thanks guys - The speaker phone thread was VERY interesting (and I hope my wife doesn't notice when I buy a Yeti!). However, that's just one part of three aspects right? That will let my player hear what's going on, but she needs to see and speak as well... I am really tired right now (work is nuts and I've had about 6 hours sleep in three days) so I just can't put it together... so let me ask some simple questions and I think we can close this off. 1. I assume the remote player connects to the server and 'appears' on my GM screen and the other players' big screen... and where do I find the link to send to het so she can join? There's an invite button on your game splash screen: 2. I assume the Yeti runs from my GM laptop? You could connect it to whichever and use whatever chat system you wanted (as I understand it). You could use the Roll20 internal chat system (opentok or WebRTC) or skype (since you want video and voice) 3. I have a Logitech stick-cam that I can use for video - into my GM laptop? Same as #2. 4. How does the player get heard? At the moment, I connect my GM laptop to a sound system fopr sound effects etc. Would her audio come out of there? You can specify input and output devices as communications devices so that sound from your chat programs comes out differently than your sound effects. In chrome, when you and another person are logged into the game and one of the chat solutions is active, a camera icon will appear on the right side of the address bar, you can click this to select your input/output devices.
Gold
Forum Champion
Steven C. said: Thanks guys - The speaker phone thread was VERY interesting (and I hope my wife doesn't notice when I buy a Yeti!). However, that's just one part of three aspects right? That will let my player hear what's going on, but she needs to see and speak as well... I don't own one, but I think the point of the speakerphone recommendation is that it has live audible speakers with feedback cancellation. It has speakers and mics. &nbsp;If a speakerphone (or a set of speakers) is selected as your computer audio output device, you will hear your Jukebox sound there, as well as your remote guest's voice. Typically the problem with having live speakers in the room, and also live mics open, is that there can be a feedback loop. Configure your equipment and/or manage your mic input volumes to avoid feedback (it is possible). The recommended speakerphone should be made for this, but it can also be done with regular gear like computer speakers or home stereo or the TV's output speakers.

Edited 1479435662
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I am one of two remote players in a group of five. We use a room mic for the local guys, and also use a conference webcam. These don't cost much more than an ordinary web camera (ours cost about $60), but have a wide angle lens. It makes a HUGE difference during play, since you can see the entire group. It takes a bit of testing to find the sweet spot for getting every one in field of view, but it's worth it. When we play without Roll 20, we add another camera that is mounted to a flexible table lamp arm, that is pointed at the play surface. We call it the "Battle Cam".
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Gold said: Steven C. said: Thanks guys - The speaker phone thread was VERY interesting (and I hope my wife doesn't notice when I buy a Yeti!). However, that's just one part of three aspects right? That will let my player hear what's going on, but she needs to see and speak as well... I don't own one, but I think the point of the speakerphone recommendation is that it has live audible speakers with feedback cancellation. It has speakers and mics. &nbsp;If a speakerphone (or a set of speakers) is selected as your computer audio output device, you will hear your Jukebox sound there, as well as your remote guest's voice. Typically the problem with having live speakers in the room, and also live mics open, is that there can be a feedback loop. Configure your equipment and/or manage your mic input volumes to avoid feedback (it is possible). The recommended speakerphone should be made for this, but it can also be done with regular gear like computer speakers or home stereo or the TV's output speakers. While the Yeti microphone does have audio out, it's an aux jack, not a speaker. The 'out' on a Yeti is intended to be used for headphones, so you can do something like listen to your audio quality in real time while you record yourself speaking. That feature is not meant for treating it as a conference speakerphone. You can see the underside of my Yeti on the right: USB cable connecting the device to my computer, and a headphone jack which I don't actually use. It's also got a threaded hole for attaching it to a boom if you were working in a studio or something. More importantly for using a Yeti as though it's a speakerphone are the gain and pattern controls. From left to right, the patterns are: Stereo -- Uses left and right channels to create stereo sound Omnidirectional -- Ideal for recording audio sources surrounding the microphone (such as a room full of local players playing the game) Cardioid -- Records audio sources in front of the microphone (the gain and pattern dials are on the back; there's a mute button and a volume dial for the headphones on the "front" side) Bidirectional -- Records audio sources in front and behind the microphone, ideal for recording a conversation between two people sitting across from each other. Note that the microphone is capturing sound from around the sides of the device (which sides depend on the pattern selected), not from the tip like you might find in a handheld microphone. The gain dial will restrict what sounds get picked up. The lower the gain setting, the louder a noise has to be in order for it to get recorded, and vice-versa. The gain and pattern settings shown have been used to play Roll20, with 1-2 players sitting in front of the microphone and the computer's speakers behind it. The speakers are about 1.5ft from the microphone, and the players are 2-3ft away most of the time.
Fantastic help guys! I think I'll get a YETI as I have a set of powered speakers I can plug right into the back of them... is there a wide angle web-cam anyone can recommend? Given I'll have a Yeti, it doesn't need mic or speaker (tho I guess these can be switched off?) Thanks!
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Here is a&nbsp; review of some wideangle webcams you can read about. It might give you some ideas on what you are looking at and what to look for so your game can run smoothly.
Gold
Forum Champion
Steven C. said: Given I'll have a Yeti, it doesn't need mic or speaker (tho I guess these can be switched off?) Yes, your computer can select 1 device as a Video input source (the webcam), another device as Audio source (your new mic). Almost all webcams have a mic and do not have speakers.

Edited 1479491179
Taz
Pro
so, is it worth going with one of these cameras and using its inbuilt mics? Or aren't they up to it - hence the yeti? The Logitech HD Pro C920 seems to be getting rave reviews...
Gold
Forum Champion
I personally use just the webcam's mic (and external speakers), so that can work provided you control for feedback issues that can commonly plague a room that has an open mic AND speakers instead of headphones. I think that Brian recommended the Yeti mic for several reasons -- the sound quality of it, the gain control dial, the pickup pattern settings, and the cable allowing you to reposition this mic where-ever needed including having mic in a different spot than your video cam. For example the video cam (and speakers) could be back closer to the TV, but the remote Mic can be positioned on the table nearer to the player voices.
Good advice... I think I'll try the camera only approach first - probably the C920 - and see how that works then add the Yeti if required... thanks again fellas!
Got a C930e in the end, the extra few $$ (just under $100) on Amazon made it worth-while - plug and play and it has a 90-degree angle for visuals and the audio is good (tho' I'm thinking we might get a bit of feedback if things get raucous). We've tested it and will likely give it a go for real on Sunday during our regular game. Further updates to follow on how well it works in 'action'.