Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

LFG - Battletech Solaris VII League

Edited 1481657938
The roar of the crowd, the smell of cordite, the flash of lightning from the PPC...who doesn't love a night at the fights in Solaris City? The Interstellar Gladiator League (IGL) is seeking applicants for our first exhibition season! Come try out for fame and fortune, and to get in on the ground floor of this exciting new 'mechwarrior league! Looking for Players/Group Page I'm seeking players interested in to helping to create and shape an ongoing Solaris VII league on Roll20. The idea has been a pipe dream for years, but I'm finally forcing myself to actually put it into action and I'm starting with what I'm calling an "Alpha (Test) Season" for the new IGL. The main idea is work out the kinks before implementing more complex rules like economics into the mix. We will begin small. I'm looking for six players who are looking to compete over the course of seven or eight sessions and who would consider sticking around for the following season. What do you need to be considered for the game besides the interest? A pilot made using the life module system from A Time of War (AToW). That's it. If you don't have access to that book, but you're highly interested in the game, please say so and ask for some help. Before you start replying, do know that I am going to be running fights using the rules from AToW, with a couple of slight modifications, as they fit perfectly with the gladiator theme. Those familiar with the normal CBT/Total Warfare rules, but who haven't tried ATOW, will easily adapt. I'm currently wrapping up a file which explains the house rules that will be added (which mostly focus on Margin of Success). What else do you need to know right away? 3025 technology to keep things simple for the moment. Begin play with a medium 'mech appropriate to your pilot’s faction. Beyond creating your pilot, players will be selected based on their commitment and interest on a first come first serve basis. This season is mostly about figuring out what needs to be changed before finding a larger pool of players and adding more complex systems. Planning first match for just after the New Year! For now, I would be available to host/referee/administer matches for the league on Sundays, with an open window to schedule weekly bouts between 11:00AM and 11:00PM (2300) EST, and I do not expect that to change in the near future. If the league works as intended, and continues to move ahead, it is possible that we will have matches occur whenever it is convenient for the gladiators and maybe a league official. Ask questions, express interest, bookmark this thread to watch for updates. I will be creating the actual game page and making the "Alpha Season Handbook" available before the end of this week.
The IGL Handbook for the Alpha Season is open to view and comment. Revisions WILL be coming to the document. C'mon Battletech fans, I know you're out there. I'm working on building the sheets, I'm working on building some arenas, what I really need  are some warriors ready to step up!
I think this might be cool.  "For the Honor of House Merik, Long live the Free World's League"
Anyone interested in the current version of the record sheets can check out the repository on github . The IGL files are them.
How do you plan to play out fights, that is unclear
Essentially, the CBT/Total Warfare standard rules apply with a few changes that are easy enough to pick up. The Handbook details how the changes apply, but the main things are that succeeding on attack rolls has a chance to increase damage some (Margin of Success, or MoS), modifiers affect the dice rather than the target number (that is to allow the MoS piece to function), and then the big one: combat rounds last five seconds. That last one does add some confusion to things, and it has to do with the way the RPG rules use actions, but it also aligns somewhat with the old boxed set's custom rules.
why not just use something like Megamek?
I used to run a Solaris VII league for a group, but we had each player as a stable manager.  We battled, paid repairs, bought and sold mechs..  had pilots we trained up in it.  Had limited tech access at first, then unlocking more tech after a bit (med laser boats tended to be the first mechs built, but I won early on with a large and 3 med)
Shannon S. said: why not just use something like Megamek? For a raft a reasons too long to list here. Hungry Gnome said: I used to run a Solaris VII league for a group, but we had each player as a stable manager.  We battled, paid repairs, bought and sold mechs..  had pilots we trained up in it.  Had limited tech access at first, then unlocking more tech after a bit (med laser boats tended to be the first mechs built, but I won early on with a large and 3 med) The individual star is what I'm looking for. I was considering allowing stables more like a clan or guild sort of idea.
Already spoke to you in a PM so know my thoughts.
I was redirected here from the Battletech forums.  Signed up for Roll20 because I'm interested in joining.
Steven J. said: I was redirected here from the Battletech forums.  Signed up for Roll20 because I'm interested in joining. Sweet. Things are starting to pick up with the recruiting, so I'm going to trying to stay active and start getting organized. The  LFG page has it's own forums and I'll be creating a thread there specifically for pilot submissions tomorrow or the day after.
There is now an "OFFICIAL" character submission thread in the LFG page ready for pilots.
I am game to play in this. Let me know what you want and if the characters that I have are worthy of your campaign.