Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[5e Community] Is there a way to add a macro to a spell on a character sheet?

Darren
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
We are about to start using Roll 20 for the first time.  GM has Plus account.  We've been testing Roll 20 and so far are very impressed.  I don't know how to identify the character sheet we're using except to say Dungeons and Dragons 5e, version 1.1.4.  Hopefully, that's good enough. I was playing around with the /fx command and created some macros to create some visuals.  That's pretty cool.  I thought it would be great if I could add that to the spells somehow.  What I see when I search for macro help is a lot of people writing an entire macro that duplicates the entire spell.  I'd prefer, if possible, to use the spells on the character sheet ("Spellbook" tab) and when I hit the button "Cast Spell", that along with whatever else the button does (for instance roll damage dice, display the save DC and the spell effect text) to also kick off a macro, such as #fireball, which just handles the /fx stuff. Is that possible?  If so, how do I add a macro over there?  I tried adding #fireball as the sole text in the "Effects" box and all that did was spit out "#fireball" as part of the spell card. So... can this be done?  If so, how? Thank you, Darren
It is possible, only through creating your own character sheet, which is a lot of work just starting out. The easier route is definitely to make the macro call the spell and the effect outside of the character sheet like you found out already.
Darren
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Wait... how do I have a macro call the spell?  Does the button on the character sheet have an id that can be triggered via a macro?

Edited 1481660163
Darren said: Does the button on the character sheet have an id that can be triggered via a macro? Yes, all Sheet Roll Buttons do. Check out that link to learn one way to acquire the Ability call corresponding to a sheet roll button .
Check out this post here about that very same thing.