Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Are there hex versions for backgrounds/terrain?

I bought some tile sets for dungeon building. Initially I was using a square grid and all was good, but my group agreed with me hex would be better for combat. Lo and behold, the tilesets I have don't line up when built in hex, and if I build it with square system then switch to hex, there are black gaps where the lines would have been. Is there an easy fix for this, or some way to search only for hex-based terrain? It seems like it isn't even supported.
Not really. Most hex tiles are more for making overland maps. I make all my maps in MapTool and then export the whole map as a single image for use in Roll20.
Badger
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Have you considered building your square maps in something like Photoshop or Gimp, then uploading your completed map into a hex in Roll20? It might still require some finagling and be a little rough in stuff like a dungeon, but should work just fine for overland maps.
Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought at least some of my purchases could only be used on role 20? What's an easy way to go about using an external program to build a map?

Edited 1481742050
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Some of the marketplace assets are roll20 only but many of the creators have their asset packages enabled to be downloadable also. Go to the purchased asset package in the marketplace and see if it has a download button underneath the description paragraph. Download it normally and then after unzipping it, you can use any 3rd party software that supports png or jpg to create your map. I use gimp for any of my map making but there are other software that people like. How to use those 3rd party software is not something that is supported here, you would have to go to their site (or google it) for any help on how to use the basic functions/operations of that software.
Gold
Forum Champion
Ryan B. said: &nbsp;if I build it with square system then switch to hex, there are black gaps where the lines would have been. Is there an easy fix for this, or some way to search only for hex-based terrain?. For the second question, search for "Hex" on the Roll20 Marketplace to see the current premade offerings, <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/search/?keyw" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/search/?keyw</a>... For the "black gaps", can you describe that a bit more or show a screenshot? I've alternated Hex or Square grid on many maps and have not seen anything that looked like black gaps to me. Finally, a suggestion, whichever grid you use (hex or square), set the Opacity of the grid to invisible. The tokens will be able to move on the grid you've got but the lines will not obscure your map. The map will look more like art and less of a board-game, but the Ruler tool, measurement, snapping, and token positions will still obey the invisible grid. Wiki docs, <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Page_Settings#Grid" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Page_Settings#Grid</a>
Pat S. said: Some of the marketplace assets are roll20 only but many of the creators have their asset packages enabled to be downloadable also. Go to the purchased asset package in the marketplace and see if it has a download button underneath the description paragraph. Download it normally and then after unzipping it, you can use any 3rd party software that supports png or jpg to create your map. I use gimp for any of my map making but there are other software that people like. How to use those 3rd party software is not something that is supported here, you would have to go to their site (or google it) for any help on how to use the basic functions/operations of that software. So without going into detail, does GIMP have some way to easily line them up? I can hold alt to place the tiles exactly where I want them on roll 20, but its pretty meticulous to line it up perfectly-without getting the gaps. @Gold:I have my background set to black, with white lines (I find it more fitting for a cave). So the black gaps is really just the background-it'd normally be white. From what I can tell (and makes sense) the tiles are made with the grid in mind which would block out the outer edges, so they purposely don't make that as part of their models, which results in these gaps I am seeing. I just thought of a real simple solution though...I'll just take a copy of one of the tiles I am working with, make it about 20 times larger, and paste it as a backlayer in the background, which should cover up the gaps and take away the eyesore.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
So without going into detail, does GIMP have some way to easily line them up? I can hold alt to place the tiles exactly where I want them on roll 20, but its pretty meticulous to line it up perfectly-without getting the gaps. I replied in a pm.
Gold
Forum Champion
Ryan B. said: @Gold:I have my background set to black, with white lines (I find it more fitting for a cave). So the black gaps is really just the background-it'd normally be white. From what I can tell (and makes sense) the tiles are made with the grid in mind which would block out the outer edges, so they purposely don't make that as part of their models, which results in these gaps I am seeing. I just thought of a real simple solution though...I'll just take a copy of one of the tiles I am working with, make it about 20 times larger, and paste it as a backlayer in the background, which should cover up the gaps and take away the eyesore. Interesting. I would like to see a screenshot if you wouldn't mind showing a sample of what you're working on. I have not seen any dungeon tiles that "are made with the grind in mind which would block out the outer edges". Most of the tile sets are designed to abut edge-to-edge without any gap and can work equally well with or without grid, or with hidden grid. The Roll20 Grid is an overlay that can show (or hide invisibly) atop your tiles, not a filler between tiles normally.
Gold said: Ryan B. said: @Gold:I have my background set to black, with white lines (I find it more fitting for a cave). So the black gaps is really just the background-it'd normally be white. From what I can tell (and makes sense) the tiles are made with the grid in mind which would block out the outer edges, so they purposely don't make that as part of their models, which results in these gaps I am seeing. I just thought of a real simple solution though...I'll just take a copy of one of the tiles I am working with, make it about 20 times larger, and paste it as a backlayer in the background, which should cover up the gaps and take away the eyesore. Interesting. I would like to see a screenshot if you wouldn't mind showing a sample of what you're working on. I have not seen any dungeon tiles that "are made with the grind in mind which would block out the outer edges". Most of the tile sets are designed to abut edge-to-edge without any gap and can work equally well with or without grid, or with hidden grid. The Roll20 Grid is an overlay that can show (or hide invisibly) atop your tiles, not a filler between tiles normally. Only difference between these pictures is square vs hex grid. You can see the background-black gaps as I was calling them-when it is turned to hex. EDIT:Realized after posting, accidentally had my fix in the first picture-a larger version of the tiles in the background, which would cover any black-you can see it on the edges. Nevertheless, I know there's no black even without that in place; you can still see the issue in the hex picture.
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
I have seen some 'zoom' artifacts like that appear before. Do they stay there if you change the map zoom? I was getting some on a map, in white (as per the background), but when I changed zoom up or down they vanished.
Gold
Forum Champion
Thanks for showing what you're seeing, Ryan. Unfortunately I don't have a definitive response for that, just some thoughts. I agree with Andrew, because I've seen it before myself like he said (only appearing in certain zoom levels, the line-gap disappearing at other zooms), I'm not entirely sure if that is equally same on Firefox / Chrome, what zooms apply, or other variables to recreate or to fix that. Do you also find, like Andrew described, where the gap seems to disappear if you change the zoom? For a workaround fix, not ideal but, if you expand the size of those adjacent tiles by just 1-2 pixels, that might cause enough overlap to avoid the gap-effect. The one thing I can assure with greater certainty on this, most or all Tile Sets and Roll20 marketplace tiles are not designed with an intentional gap that would be filled by grid. Tile sets are made to fit snugly adjacent, and the grid is made to overlay across maps whether visible or invisibly. What you're seeing there is either some sort of small glitch (bug? browser behavior?), or, tiles just need to be nudged to a slightly larger size to fit.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Gold said: &nbsp;or, tiles just need to be nudged to a slightly larger size to fit. Hey Ryan, can you do another picture with the grid set to squares but the grid color changed to transparent? &nbsp;Maybe those lines are there regardless of the grid type but are simply covered by the grid lines when in squares. &nbsp;It might not be directly related to the selection of a grid type.
Gold
Forum Champion
That is what I think Ryan was saying from the start, indeed, The Aaron. But do you think any tiles are intentionally designed for that? Aren't all tiles designed to fit snugly even for those who have transparent grid, or who don't use grid at all? Almost every tile pack I've tried fits neatly together pixel-to-pixel, edge to edge, on gridless or invisible grid, with the exception of those packs that are made in odd aspect ratios or battlemaps that aren't actually intended to be tiled.
@Andrew Yep, just tested it, visible at any level. @Gold Yep, tried on FF and Chrome, get it no matter what. My workaround for now is to just make a much larger version of the standard dirt tile, making it the size of the entire room, which fills in the gaps. So long as I don't reveal fog behind the walls the players won't see it. You can see the edge of it on one of the pictures. @Aaron I think you're basically saying what I had been trying to say. The creator of this set didn't make them large enough, so there's slight gaps which get covered by the grid when in square form. I did test it real quick and yes, there's still the black gaps.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Gold said: That is what I think Ryan was saying from the start, indeed, The Aaron. But do you think any tiles are intentionally designed for that? Aren't all tiles designed to fit snugly even for those who have transparent grid, or who don't use grid at all? Almost every tile pack I've tried fits neatly together pixel-to-pixel, edge to edge, on gridless or invisible grid, with the exception of those packs that are made in odd aspect ratios or battlemaps that aren't actually intended to be tiled. Any tile should be able to be stretched to the grid and now have gaps. &nbsp;Adjusting with Alt can leave gaps though.