Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Dynamic Lighting] Automatically seing dim light as bright light?

Hello there roleplay enthusiasts, Setting up Dynamic Lighting for my characters in a D&D 5e campaign i got a little bit frustrated in that there is seamingly no way to really recreate the Darkvision feature truthfully. If i set a characters vision at 60ft/-5ft, he has traditional dim light vision in darkness. But is there any way to set it up so that the characters automatically get bright light if another source (like a torch) provides dim light, since the darkvision feature states, that you can see in dimlight like it were bright light? Is there any API Srcipt that manages to do that?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Not really. That's a hard problem to solve with the tools at hand. There is a light multiplier you could play with, but if you can't get an effect you like with the UI, there won't be a way to do it with the API. 
Thank for for the reply! Unfortunate, but expected :/
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
The light multiplier thing is pretty neat and might make a good substitute. 
The light multiplier does only increase the range a character can see doesn't it? Sorry but i don't really get how to use that as a substute o.O Could you expand on that? ;D
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Mainly I was thinking of how their perception of a 20'/20' torch would be a 40'/40' torch, thus turning the dim outer 20' to bright. At that point it's also giving them 40' of additional dim vision, but that might be acceptable.

Edited 1483996842
Ada L.
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
One very convoluted solution I've heard people use for problems like this one is to have two versions of each map, one for the normal characters, and another for the characters with some special type of vision. For darkvision, have any dim lights on the second map be bright. Then set up some sort of API script that tracks all changes to either map to cause a corresponding change on the other map. This way, tokens that are moved around on one map will also be moved on the other, their statuses and bars will change together, etc.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
(I have a script named Twins that keeps tokens across maps synced)
That sounds like a possibilty, but like you said yourself very convuluted :P Thank you anyway for your input guys, i think i will just try to wing it with what is possible so far. Will have a look on maybe going with the multiplier idea, thanks Aaron for the suggestion!
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
No problem!  Happy Rolling!
The 5e "darkvision" feature doesn't map terribly well into roll20. For now, I just do "dim out to X" on tokens and "dim as bright" would need to be remembered and applied accordingly. There's an enhancement request to allow for additive light sources which would solve this:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2628391/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2628391/</a>