Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Global Illumination for outdoors only?

Hi, I'm working towards building my first campaign using the Curse of Strahd Module. While I'm swimming along pretty well getting the maps to work and such (many thanks to Mike Schley), I'm having a bit of trouble implementing the maps fully. For example, the  map for the Church has an outdoors section, and an indoors section. I would like the underground, indoor section to be dark, and lit only by torches and darkvision, but the outdoor section where there is presumably sunlight to be lit using the Global Illumination. For maps this small, I could feasibly use just multiple lighting tokens such as been done in the past before global illumination, but one of the maps that I have found for Castle Ravenloft is a whopping 100x75 units. And while with the select tokens for the players and monsters, plus torches this runs decently on my computer, I can imagine with multiple overlapping suns that cover some ground this can get very laggy very quickly. Am I missing something in the documentation? Or is this really the only option I have for my current situation?
I am afraid so, global illumination only works on the entire map, you could use fog of war to hide the indoor area until the players reach them or break up the map. 
Hm, I may just duplicate the map.... or make excuses to have my players constantly explore at night then. Thanks!
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
What I do for maps like that is have Global Illumination Off, then create a bunch of very bright light sources outside.  if you place them carefully you can get some very dramatic results. All the torches on the left are on the Dynamic Lighting layer.  All of them are 1000 light radius, 1000 dim light start, except the two at the top that are shining in the windows, which are 30/10.  Placing lights against the wall on the sides with openings prevents the light from shining in them. I just threw this together, so it's not as careful as I might be on a real map.  But the basic process is: 1) Add Dynamic Light Lines wherever you want them. 2) Add bright lights to the exterior until you get just what should be brightly lit illuminated 3) Add lights for shine-in where you want them, adjust as needed • Make small windows have a small radius, large windows have a large radius -- gives the appearance of more light shining in! • Use a combination of a very dim light (slightly closer to the window) and a brighter one to get more ambient bleed 4) Light the interior how you want it. Incidentally, I find it extremely helpful to adjust GM Opacity way up so that I get a really big contrast between lit and unlit spaces. Hope that helps!
That's actually great, and a better way of thinking about it than I went around. I'll play with it some more and see how it goes. Thanks!
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
No worries! &nbsp;If you wanna get some ideas and tips on Dynamic lighting, check out this thread: &nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/3304165/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/3304165/</a> There are some epic DL setups in there (and I'm not just saying that because I posted some! =D)