Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Problems fixing my map.

I'm messing around with the tools, trying to get used to them while I try to decide if I want to try my hand at DMing or not. I have digital copies of the official maps from the PotA campaign. The grid on the maps all look the same size, they measured out the same before I put them in roll20, but now I think they're not. I can make one square fit perfectly in the grid, but then none of the others do. When I adjust for another square, the first square is out of whack. I'm following the instructions  here but I'm not sure if I placed the map down correctly to start with. I know the map is the size of a standard piece of paper when printed out. Does anyone have any advise to help me out?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
I would advise getting it close, then changing the grid color to transparent.  Once you do that, you shouldn't really notice the problem. It's a common problem with Digital for Print maps that the lines are not exactly perfect.  They would be good enough if you printed them out because you're not laying a gridded piece of acrylic over the top of them to notice the inconsistencies, but when you measure them you find the artist has taken certain liberties with them.
Um...no I still notice the problem...when I can have a grid in a hall be perfect then in the next room if they're at the edges the token is set half in the wall it's noticed. So should I just turn the grid off or try to remake the maps myself?
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
I was going to recommend turning the grid off. If the map already has a grid and it's large enough to work for you, get rid of the R20 grid. :)
Gold
Forum Champion
Geoff L. said: Um...no I still notice the problem...when I can have a grid in a hall be perfect then in the next room if they're at the edges the token is set half in the wall it's noticed. So should I just turn the grid off or try to remake the maps myself? Another approach for this is, try the Grid Size setting, change it from 1 (the default) to something like .25 or .5. This will let tokens move in sub-sections of the overall grid squares. &nbsp;If they are "over the edge of a wall" they can easily bump back in by a few quarter-squares. <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Page_Settings#Grid" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Page_Settings#Grid</a> Try combining this technique with also the other suggestion of making the grid invisible. &nbsp;The combination might help for this.
Kirsty
Pro
Sheet Author
Hey Geoff. I'd recommend doing watching&nbsp; this video. This is the technique that I always use to align my WotC maps. The border is never an exact square big, so sethings the map to a drawing is essential to position it properly.
OldSchoolChris said: 2nd sticky in the forum this thread is under: Map alignment 101 I in fact link the first post of that thread in my first post. Gold said: Geoff L. said: Um...no I still notice the problem...when I can have a grid in a hall be perfect then in the next room if they're at the edges the token is set half in the wall it's noticed. So should I just turn the grid off or try to remake the maps myself? Another approach for this is, try the Grid Size setting, change it from 1 (the default) to something like .25 or .5. This will let tokens move in sub-sections of the overall grid squares. &nbsp;If they are "over the edge of a wall" they can easily bump back in by a few quarter-squares. <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Page_Settings#Grid" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Page_Settings#Grid</a> Try combining this technique with also the other suggestion of making the grid invisible. &nbsp;The combination might help for this. This will probably be my best move anyways because the squares on the map are listed as 10 feet, a strange choice IMO, so this will let nice 5 feet movement. Thank you everyone for all the help! I'm putting the advise to work now ^_^