Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[GURPS] Character Sheet Updates

So, after being frustrated with the lack of auto-calculating fields, I decided to update the GUPRS character sheet. My changes have just been merged. Here is the list of things I've changed/updated: 1) The following fields now calculate their values: General>Point Summary>Traits General>Point Summary>Skills Wealth>Possessions>$+ Wealth>Possessions>W+ Wealth>Possessions>Total Value Wealth>Possessions>Total Weight If the values look wrong, you may need to change an item to trigger the script. Appearance, Languages, CF, Advantages, Disadvantages, and Racial Traits all are totaled individually then summed up. So you may need to change an item in each of those sections. For Possessions you may need to toggle the "ON" checkbox. 2) Pre-filled Point Cost on new items has been disabled. I couldn't get the helper script to read a the value that is pre-filled in when a new repeating section item is created. This may mean that existing characters will have some blank skill costs. This is because that field was never updated after the item was created. Just add the "1" into the point cost. 3) Fixed the "ON" checkbox for items. This can now be clicked. 4) Added a Grimoire tab. This works a lot like the Skills tab, but has columns for Time to Cast, Duration, Cost, and Maintain Cost. You can also set what Attribute spells are based on, and what your Magery/PI/whatever level is (instead of needing it on each line). Let me know if you have any issues. New characters should work fine (but skills and things will need the points entered in now), existing characters should be fine with a little checking.
Great updates, Joseph, but it looks like the Magery/PI bonus on the grimoire tab is adding the bonus to ALL my skills, not just the spells listed in the grimoir.
Dirt said: Great updates, Joseph, but it looks like the Magery/PI bonus on the grimoire tab is adding the bonus to ALL my skills, not just the spells listed in the grimoir. yup, same here ...
D'oh. I'll put a fix in as soon as I can.
Thanks, I love the addition of the grimoir!
So sorry folks. I've fixed the issue and submitted a new PR. I don't know if there is some way to get bug fixes prioritized. In addition, if you opened a character with this new update, then there are two attributes you will need to delete from your character before it will function properly. These are "base" and "bonus". Again sorry for this issue.

Edited 1485370116
Glad to see some GURPS love. I'm starting a GURPS campaign in a couple weeks so this is great news.

Edited 1485370441
On the current live version, it looks like it isn't adding the 'Bonus' value to skill values on the Skills tab. This needs to work because certain Advantages add to certain skill rolls.  (i.e. Flexibility giving a +3 to Climbing rolls, etc.) P.S. Thanks for your work, the Character Sheet really needed these improvements!
Yeah, what is happening is the new Grimoire sheet has a non-repeating "base" and "bonus" values. These are being used in any calculation that looks for @{base} or @{bonus}, instead of the repeating version of them. You can try to delete these attributes off you character, but until my bug fix is uploaded, they may just come back (I need to test if they only are added back when the Grimoire values are updated or not). But I'm at work right now and can't do much testing.

Edited 1485373812
Good job! My game doesn't have spells so I haven't tried that out, although I can imagine if my campaign did have them lack of a proper place to put them would've caused much grumbling. Automatically adding up Skills and Advantages will be a huge improvement. I know several players who were poking the Roll20 sheet with a ten foot pole like it had the plague for that reason alone, "You mean we gotta use maths?!" 
I can confirm that if you leave the "Magery/PI/Bonus level" field alone after deleting the "bonus" attribute, it won't come back and your skills should work fine. Just avoid the Grimoire tab until the fix is deployed. Going to test the Wealth (inventory) tab now =)
Valter said: I can confirm that if you leave the "Magery/PI/Bonus level" field alone after deleting the "bonus" attribute, it won't come back and your skills should work fine. Just avoid the Grimoire tab until the fix is deployed. Going to test the Wealth (inventory) tab now =) Awesome, thanks Valter!
Thanks for the confirmation! Does anyone know if there is some way to get a Pull Request expedited? Or will we have to wait till next week's Merge?
Played with the Wealth tab for a while, didn't run into any problem. Seems solid.
No expedites as far as I know. I'm waiting for my updates to push too lol, it's a bit of a bummer to not have instant pushes, or even same day, but, no worries, it will go through :)
Note for anyone having trouble with current character sheets after the update. My players reported skills and traits not being added properly. After some quick experiments I found the fail-safe solution was to add a new Advantage/Disadvantage/Skill and put some crazy number in the box. I used 10000. Go to the 'General' tab and you should see a crazy high number in the appropriate box. Now go back and delete that Advantage/Disadvantage/Skill and you should be good. 
As long as you update a point cost on a new or existing item it should work. One thing that may not be clear is that "Traits" is actually the sum of several other (hidden) summed fields: Languages, CFs, Advantages, Disadvantages, Racial Traits. Appearance and TL are also added in, but shouldn't need to be changed. One all the other have had an item changed then Traits should be correct.
My group found another bug (pre-existing) where if you pull an attack's Damage roll into your macro bar it will roll the Attack's skill. This is because the roll buttons have the same name. I'm going through and renaming several buttons that have the same name. Repeating sections skill rolls will all still be "roll_vsSL" since they will have a unique id for each row. If there is any other bugs y'all know about let me know. This week's push just went through so these fixes will probably show next week.
Just Curious im going to Be Running a Gurps Vampire The Masquerade Game in 3rd edition Gurps , any way to add a Place for Blood Pool, Humanity and the Vampiric Disciplines.? Thanks in advance
Joseph M. said: Repeating sections skill rolls will all still be "roll_vsSL" since they will have a unique id for each row. If there is any other bugs y'all know about let me know. This week's push just went through so these fixes will probably show next week. Probably not a bug, just lack of skill on my part, but I never managed to successfully reference any repeating sections (mainly skills) on custom macros. I tend to use a bunch of skill modifiers and combat options on attack rolls (and lots of magical shenanigans for spellcasters) so the button that rolls vs base skill on the sheet itself is hardly used. Damage is easy enough to reference since it has 2 Attributes on the third tab.
Tim W. said: Just Curious im going to Be Running a Gurps Vampire The Masquerade Game in 3rd edition Gurps , any way to add a Place for Blood Pool, Humanity and the Vampiric Disciplines.? Thanks in advance Hm, I've been trying to add anything too game specific. My own players have been asking for a Power Item pool for our Dungeon Fantasy game. What I might do is add a line or two for user input items under ER. Most anything else should probably just go under Advantages.
Valter said: Probably not a bug, just lack of skill on my part, but I never managed to successfully reference any repeating sections (mainly skills) on custom macros. I tend to use a bunch of skill modifiers and combat options on attack rolls (and lots of magical shenanigans for spellcasters) so the button that rolls vs base skill on the sheet itself is hardly used. Damage is easy enough to reference since it has 2 Attributes on the third tab. Repeating sections create a unique id for each line's item. If you pull the die icon into your macro bar the default name will show something like: "repeating_melee_ -KatEhlHYJP95x-hx27b _damage". You'll probably need to know the full field name to access it in a macro. BTW, there is an option at the bottom of the page for "extended modifier prompts" that includes: Basic Modifier, Shock, Reeling or Staggering, Off-hand, and Familiarity.

Edited 1486283496
After the latest changes, while the grimoire is working, and the Magery bonus isn't going to all Skills, several character sheets for pre-existing characters, on the skills tab, aren't adding the value from the 'bonus' column. I have tried re-entering the values and refreshing all values, but to no avail. Interestingly, on another character sheet (this one made just a couple weeks ago) it is adding the bonus column on the skills tab to the individual skills, and with spells and magery set on the grimoire tab also working nicely. So question is, why is it working for some and not others?
The GURPS group I'm in started playing our weekly game again today and we noticed that half of our skills were blank in the points column, and a few of our traits points were set to blank. I think that this change the sheet tried to enforce what we had input into the skills and traits part of the point summary, and removed points from the skills and traits until we had the amount entered in the point summary. Even if that is not exactly how this happened, the result is that half of our skills had blank point values.
Kataclasm said: After the latest changes, while the grimoire is working, and the Magery bonus isn't going to all Skills, several character sheets for pre-existing characters, on the skills tab, aren't adding the value from the 'bonus' column. I have tried re-entering the values and refreshing all values, but to no avail. Interestingly, on another character sheet (this one made just a couple weeks ago) it is adding the bonus column on the skills tab to the individual skills, and with spells and magery set on the grimoire tab also working nicely. So question is, why is it working for some and not others? You'll need to delete the "bonus" attribute to get your skills working again. Just go to the "Attributes & Abilities" tab, go to the bottom and find the "bonus" attribute. Just delete it and things should start working again. Also, if there is a "base" attribute, delete that too. bioa10 said: The GURPS group I'm in started playing our weekly game again today and we noticed that half of our skills were blank in the points column, and a few of our traits points were set to blank. I think that this change the sheet tried to enforce what we had input into the skills and traits part of the point summary, and removed points from the skills and traits until we had the amount entered in the point summary. Even if that is not exactly how this happened, the result is that half of our skills had blank point values. I had to remove the old "default" values from skills. Anything showing up blank was never "set" by the user and had the old default. Just set these to "1" point.
That fixed it, thanks!
Is the character sheet still being updated? Could we slow it down a tad? This last update, the one that made various font's much larger, caused a number of problems in our game last night. Lots of values that were blank, values that were filled in wrong. One character whose "thing" is he has a lot of points in speed suddenly had 0 speed. Another who has 11 IQ for some reason only had 8 perception. Point totals got out of whack... I'm glad things like the skill points being totaled and item weights adding up are fixed but if the changes are going to brake the current sheets can we branch this off into a v2 sheet? 
Hm, sorry for the issues. I tried to do some pretty extensive testing for most of the changes, and added a "first time" script that runs on sheet load, checks if the four basic attributes have a "_base" set, and if not run through an initialization. This is the last "big" update I had planned, and switched a lot of the values on the sheet from being Auto-Calculated to being set by scripts. I knew that this would cause problems and held off releasing this till I got the initialization script working... I'm not sure why the scripts didn't work for your group. I'm really sorry that this happened. And I don't plan to do any more updates (other than bug fixes) right now. A quick fix should be that if you have strength_base, dexterity_base, etc... just delete one and the initialize script should run the next time the sheet is opened.
The script must not be running. I deleted 'strength_base', exited and reopened the sheet, and it didn't bring back 'strength_base'. 'Intelligence_base', "Dexterity_base', and various other _base are still there.  I don't have a subscription. Doesn't that mean scripts can't run? I wonder if that is why it's not happening automatically. 
The script is part of the helper scripts for the character sheet, so it should work for all users. I'm not sure what is going on, but I just deleted strength_base, dexterity_base, intelligence_base, and health_base. Then closed the character sheet and reopened it. This did trigger the updates for the 4 basic attributes... and cascaded down to the other attributes, basically updating everything. This was on a game running the current version of the character sheet. Give it another try... this time delete all 4 of the basic attributes _base versions.... also if you know how, open your web browser's developer tools and look at the console. (In Chrome you can right click the page, select "Inspect" then select the "Console" tab... there are some logs that are printed to the console when the various updates are triggered, so you can see if things are actually triggering. Mine looked a bit like this: ********* Sheet Opened ********* app.js?1487702195:39 Foudn a pre-defined key order! app.js?1487702195:38 Setting up repeating sections took until 50ms app.js?1487702195:38 Updating ALL VALUES app.js?1487702195:38 Finding list of dirty attributes took until 51ms app.js?1487702195:38 Querytest took until 52ms app.js?1487702195:38 Attribute cache compliation took until 53ms app.js?1487702195:38 Set values (including auto-calcuating variables) took until 132ms app.js?1487702195:38 Appending to screen took until 168ms app.js?1487702195:38 Took 170ms VM25:59 ********* loadRepeating repeating_languages.spoken********* VM25:59 ********* loadRepeating repeating_languages.written********* VM25:59 ********* loadRepeating repeating_skills.points********* VM25:59 ********* loadRepeating repeating_cultures.points********* VM25:59 ********* loadRepeating repeating_techniques.points********* VM25:59 ********* loadRepeating repeating_spells.points********* VM25:86 ********* updateST ********* VM25:103 ********* updateDX ********* VM25:120 ********* updateIQ ********* VM25:137 ********* updateHT ********* app.js?1487702195:38 Really updating character sheet values app.js?1487702195:39 Foudn a pre-defined key order! app.js?1487702195:38 Setting up repeating sections took until 12ms app.js?1487702195:38 Finding list of dirty attributes took until 13ms app.js?1487702195:38 Querytest took until 14ms sheetsandboxworker.js?20160926:57 Triggering for change:strength_base sheetsandboxworker.js?20160926:57 Triggering for change:strength_base_max app.js?1487702195:38 Attribute cache compliation took until 15ms app.js?1487702195:38 Set values (including auto-calcuating variables) took until 25ms app.js?1487702195:38 Took 26ms VM25:154 ********* updateHP ********* VM25:332 ********* updateLift ********* VM25:354 ********* updateStrikingST *********
It looks like the set attributes of the main stats are not cascading down the way that I thought they would. I've updated the sheep open script to now "reset" all attributes and secondary stats to zero, then run the updates for the basic four stats. This does cause the cascade and sets the values. I've also changed the trigger for this script to run. It now will check for a "sheet_version" stat and if it isn't there or set to the current version, it'll run the scripts and set this value. I've sumitted a pull request with this change and a few other bug fixes, so this should go in with the next push.
I must say I find the new additions and functionality pretty good. The 2 "fill-in" statistic fields are great for games that use different dynamic pools (other than ER), like Impulse Points. The added support for secondary attributes is also nice.

Edited 1488503162
Joseph, can you undo the latest change and roll back to an earlier version? The sheet is completely broken at this point. I have a new player and we're trying to make a character and when we put 10 points into strength it gives him 6 ST. Not 16, it sets his ST to 6. It'll flash 11, the correct number, then switch back to 6. It's like it thinks the starting ST value (at 0 points) is 5 instead of 10. I'm not sure what else is broken because this was a showstopper.  I've copied another characters sheet, an older version, and cleaned it out and we're using that. Please don't leave the sheet in a broken state though. No one making a new campaign without characters to copy would have an easy work around.  The new sheet has a parameter 'sheet version' that is set to 1.3. The older sheet I copied that is working fine does not have this parameter. 
Yeah, it's really setting base ST to 5 whenever you change the PTS field. If you fiddle with the MOD field for ST, it fixes itself (goes back to starting off at 10). I set MOD to 1 and then back to 0 and it worked, but if you change the PTS field you'll have to do the back and forth with the MOD field again. Neither Hit Points nor Damage seem to have been affected. Behaves the same way when negative values are used in the PTS field.

Edited 1488566405
Joseph M.
Sheet Author
Hey Tim and Valter, can y'all check one thing for me? Make sure that the CURRENT FP is set >= one third of FP max. I bet what is happening is the Strength reduction due to being below 1/3 FP. If that isn't the case I'll take a look when I get home (at work now). I'm working on a new "initialization" script that will set FP to FP max if the FP isn't set (like on a new character), to help reduce the confusion. Edit: The only changes I made this last time around were addressing bugs found in the characters sheet. One which pointed out that the "Current Move, Dodge, and ST" scores were not being updated based on low HP and FP. So, I'm pretty sure this is the issues. Re: Rollbacks. I don't have control over that. That would be up to the Roll20 team's github maintainers. I could revert out my changes, push that up, and submit a PR, but I'd expect that to go in next week.
Hey Joseph, it seems you are correct. That actually surprised me, I never properly used that rule for ST before. Thanks for explaining it!
That did fix it. Can you set it so the FP starts filled in? I'd hate to see someone new to GURPS go to use the sheet and find that it's not working and then give up. 
Yeah, there is a pull request out now that updates the initialization script that runs when a character sheet is first run and will set the "current" FP and HP to the max if they are not set. It should also set up all the derivied attributes (the last script didn't cascade down like it was supposed to).

Edited 1488685271
Joseph M.
Sheet Author
I posted another thread about this, but I'll also ask here... The current sheet is NOT taking stat mods into account for sub-stats. So if someone casts "Boost DX" on your character and you'd like to have your characters sheet reflect this, you'd have to add the boost amount to DX mod, and 1/4 of it to Basic Speed mod, and if that increased Move or Dodge, then add to their mods too... So, I'm planning on "fixing" this so that the base+mod value is what is used to calculate sub-attributes. I'm going to keep HP the way it is (and might keep FP too) since not everything that increases ST also increased HP. Thoughs?
Joseph M. said: So, I'm planning on "fixing" this so that the base+mod value is what is used to calculate sub-attributes. I'm going to keep HP the way it is (and might keep FP too) since not everything that increases ST also increased HP. Thoughs? I think that's the best way to implement it. HP and FP are often not affected by changes to ST and HT. I'd leave them alone or maybe add a separate MOD for them, paves the way to add automatic calculation of slam/collision damage like the phoenix sheet for GCA4. But it sounds like a dubious investment of effort. One thing that, I think, is worth looking at are the languages. By default, everyone starts with a native language for free, but currently there's no way to add a language at native level without having the sheet drain 6 points from your CP total. Also, since it's automatically imputing CP values for languages, those with Language Talent (they pay less for languages) will have a hard time making their point totals and languages look accurate. That's what I have for now.