Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Map management options

Hi folks.  So I end up making a lot of encounter maps as a GM, and find that they are difficult to manage when they are available only along one looooooong horizontal ribbon  (noncompact, not searchable, non-hierarchical).  It's nice to see the preview and all, but ends up being awkward in a practical sense to find what I'm looking for. Perhaps there could be an alternative way to organize maps.  It doesn't need to replace the ribbon; could be just an additional interface of some kind accessing the same information.  Simply being more compact, even text-based, would be useful.  In my ideal world it would be multi-layer hierarchical and organizable by me, so that (for example) I could group the six levels of the Dungeon of Infinite Sorrow together in a category  (yes, I know that I can drag the individual maps around in the ribbon), and that category could be in a higher-level category of Locations in the Province of Yaar, or whatever.  Finally, if it all were more compact, so I could see more maps (or map titles) on a screen -- I'm envisioning a vertically scrolling window here -- it would be easier to find what I'm looking for.   Bonus points for having maps (and/or category/groups of maps) be searchable and taggable ("Dungeon", "Already Visited", "Key NPC present"), with free-text annotations available (e.g., in which I could note when and in what context the players came through that map or that group of maps).   Another option would be to be able to select hierarchical groups from this interface, and then the ribbon would be populated by (only) the maps in that group.  Best of both worlds?   Thanks devs - Thom 
You may want to add your vote and/or comments to this suggestion: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1618045/a-better-way-to-organize-pages/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1618045/a-better-way-to-organize-pages/</a> and/or this one: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1878391/slug%7D" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1878391/slug%7D</a> In the meantime, the first thread I linked to contains some suggested workarounds using a bookmarklet or the Stylish plugin to make navigating the Page Toolbar a little easier. Also, don't forget you can archive unused maps, which will clean up the Page Toolbar.

Edited 1486654910
Thom
Pro
Ah, thanks! &nbsp;An embarrassment of riches. &nbsp;Will do. &nbsp;Not sure why I didn't find those; maybe I didn't look far enough back. &nbsp;Anybody who might +1 here, please +1 there instead.
Gold
Forum Champion
Thom said: Ah, thanks! &nbsp;An embarrassment of riches. &nbsp;Will do. &nbsp;Not sure why I didn't find those; maybe I didn't look far enough back. &nbsp;Anybody who might +1 here, please +1 there instead. Thom, just to let you know, you can actually subtract your +1 from this, your own thread, so that you can spend that +1 elsewhere. I would recommend copy-pasting your full comments from the 1st post, onto the Suggestion that matches best and that has more votes.
Aye, so done.&nbsp; Thanks for the info & suggestion.&nbsp;
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .