Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Help on rolling commands

I am new to this (everything about it ) but learning slowly. One problem I am having is making a dice roll for the following situation; an attack which starts with a 1D20 minus enemy dodge stat chance to hit, with a critical hit of 17-20 and success of  greater than 5. so far, I have this working for me on the character abilities page: Roll to hit: /roll 1d20cs>17 -?{Enemy dodge value} but I am having trouble putting in the success parameters, so the game log can tell me "1 successes" or "0 successes"  I know I can just see if the roll is greater than 5, but any ideas? Thanks

Edited 1488109125
/roll {1d20cs>17 - ?{Defender Dodge Value|0}}>5
SkyCaptainXIII said: /roll {1d20cs>17 - ?{Defender Dodge Value|0}}>5 thanks!
SkyCaptainXIII said: /roll {1d20cs>17 - ?{Defender Dodge Value|0}}>5 Perhaps you could help me out again.  Can the intial 'roll to hit' dictate the following 'roll for damage' e.g. if the the 'roll to hit' is unsuccessful, do not roll for damage.  and if the 'roll to hit' is critical, additional conditions on the roll for damage (specifically roll 2D instead of 1D for damage)

Edited 1488139596
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Jonathan R. said: Can the intial 'roll to hit' dictate the following 'roll for damage' e.g. if the the 'roll to hit' is unsuccessful, do not roll for damage.  and if the 'roll to hit' is critical, additional conditions on the roll for damage (specifically roll 2D instead of 1D for damage) The closest you'll get to being able to automate this (without using an API Script or custom Roll Template ) is something like this: /r [[ 1d20>17f<[[4 + ?{Defender Dodge Value|0}]]cs>17 + 1 ]]d8 [piercing damage] Access to the Roll20 API is available in games in which the Game's Creator currently has an active Pro subscription. API Scripts (which are written in JavaScript) are able to react to a /roll and perform certain actions. PowerCards is one API Script that can better automate what you're attempting to do (i.e. 'hide normal damage conditionally', 'show critical damage conditionally', etc.). Roll Templates can be written to include Helper Functions (e.g. rollWasCrit() ), which allow for information to be conditonally displayed in certain circumstances. Some Character Sheets on the dropdown (available to all users) include Roll Templates with Helper Functions, which can be taken advantage of within macros. Otherwise, Pro users can write and implement their own Roll Templates within games that they create. Many custom Roll Template can 'show critical damage conditionally', but I do not know of any currently written that 'hide normal damage conditionally'. Although, some Roll Templates implement Command Buttons , which allow you to choose whether or not to roll damage after making an attack roll.