Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[LFP] Star Wars: Edge of the Empire - TBD, weekly/biweekly, CET (but flexible)

Edited 1488121070
Hello! So, I want to start Edge of the Empire campaign. Probably with couple of official adventures, just to get hang of how things roll here, and then if everyone will feel comfortable, go with my own ideas for a campaign! Hopefully, everything will work out fine :D My basic idea is to make a true sandbox-ish campaign on the fringe of the galaxy. You have your obligations, you need money, you need influence, you need to survive and there's a lot of things to do. Most of them illegal. Where will you go, that's completely your choice. You may even join the Rebels or start to discover the secrets of the Force. Who knows? Why "sandbox-ish"? Because I don't really believe in 100% sandbox. It lacks substance, it lacks depth. You will definitely feel free to do whatever you want. Choose missions that your characters feel best about, decide as you wish. But it won't be like "here, you have galaxy, do whatever" but at some point there will be some overarching plot. I think that'll make your decisions really matter :D but the focus will be on your characters, their decisions, their problems, obligations, and drama! As for who I am and what is my experience - I play RPGs since second grade, so now it will be around 18 years. And I am GMing for a great part of this time. I have experiences with many systems and many settings, and I'm overall extremely interested in game design and storytelling in general. If anyone is interested, my name is Tom, I study cognitive science, I love movies, RPGs are my life :D As for how often and when we will play - I have a very flexible timetable, but I'm from Poland, so there might be some moving around, but we'll manage. Tuesday/wednesday in the evening, or even tuesday in the morning if someone would like it because of time differences :D When it comes to english, well... I started learning english since I was little and I studied in english for two years. I have some experience, but I lack practice, so at first there might be some silly mistakes, but I hope it won't be anything too annoying. I don't have any problems with communicating in english on daily basis, so I assure you, everything is going to be okay. Right now I have one player (Smuggler probably), and probably one more if they find time (no idea who they want to play). I welcome everyone :D every gender, every nationality, every age (well, maybe 16+, I don't expect anything really adult, it's Star Wars ffs), just be open! I am a realy open-minded person, so I don't see any problems about that :D just don't be "that guy" and remember that having fun is the highest priority. I will take 2-3 more players. But before I'll invite you to my game, I'd like to know something about you! Who you are, what are your experiences with RPG, anything you want to say :D I know how important for game is to communicate well and know at least something about each other, so don't be shy. Hopefully, we'll become good friends during the game :D Oh, if anyone is interested - campaign will be EotE-based, but I'll allow any official sourcebook.
Hey Tom, thanks for pointing me to your post. I'd be interested in joining your game. From what you tell about what you plan to do, it completely matches with what I prefer - large degree of freedom, but an overarching story, that will give what you do some larger meaning than money and personal likes and dislikes. Class wise I have no clear favorite yet, just that I'm probably wanting play some non-human looking alien species. But let's get to the thing that probably is most important: Who the am I? Well my name is Rasmus, I'm from Germany and have been playing Pen&Paper RPGs since 6th grade, so about 17-ish years in total. I've started with Shadowrun back then, afterwards going through a whole list of games. Just to name a few: Legend of the Five Rings, Warhammer 40K Dark Heresy, Warhammer 40K Rogue Trader, the Star Wars D20 system and most recently Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition, A Song of Ice and Fire RPG and a few weeks of Stars Without Number. My English is not perfect (whom's really is?), but I would dare to say that for a foreign speaker it's really good. I've started learning English in 4th grade, spent 6 summer vacations at my relatives in Canada, studied English at university for about 1 1/2 years and thanks to the weekly D&D game also get to practice speaking it frequently; reading and writing in English on a daily basis is the norm for many people anyways, including myself, thanks to the internet. What else to tell? Well I'm super flexible when it comes to scheduling the game, a big part of that due to being in the same time zone as you. Also, even though it probably is a given for anyone looking forward to play a Star Wars RPG, I am a Star Wars nerd. With an elder brother who is totally into science fiction, I picked up my fascination for Sci-Fi in general and Star Wars in particular at an early age and would really love to find a game to immerse myself into this fascinating, vibrant world of strange species and even stranger technologies and forces. Cheers.
Hello Tom, I am definitely interested in joining this adventure in the galaxy. I have a fair bit a knowledge about Star Wars FFG and would love to actually join an ongoing campaign based in Edge of the Empire. Your GMing style suits me very well as well as your approach to this RPG. I feel this one, in particular, requires a fair bit of narrative and creative insight on the players part without railroading to hard on every single detail. Some story involving an outer rim planet working for some crime boss or hutt and having to do what it takes to get by. Also dealing with the empire, as it is in full swing. It's fun to just imagine all the possible scenarios a group could create in the galaxy with a specific arc or narrative tied in. If I get to join, I look forward to whatever you conjure. About myself, I remember my first RPG being Baldur's Gate on my dads PC. I really stuck to the forgotten realms setting and started playing DnD with some friends. It wasn't anything serious till about highschool when some friends and I honed in on 3.5e and eventually 5e. Since then I have logged constant hours on and off roll20 playing 5e and just started a Call of Cthulhu game with some friends. I would eventually like to run a Star Wars FFG game myself one day but I just need to devote more time to it. More personally, I am a college student living in the midwest (of the US). Time wise, I can do the times listed even converted to my time zone as long as I have a weeks notice as I have a flexible work schedule. I would be interested in playing an Explorer or maybe even a Colonist and really get into a fun character. If you'd like to talk more I have skype or whatever works and we can chat more. Thanks, Ron       
Hey, This sounds like a lot of fun. I've always loved the Star Wars Universe and similar science fiction in general.  As for me, I started playing tabletops about 3-4 years ago. I mainly played shadowrun but have done a ton of little oneshots with things like DnD, worm, cthulhutech, (a couple of others that slip my mind at the moment) and am currently playing a starts without numbers game that has been going on since about August. I love systems where you have a tone of freedom.  I haven't decided what kind of class I'd play yet but I'm pretty comfortable doing basically anything, but we are in the rebellion so it'll probably be someone who can shoot and fly pretty well. A little about me: I grew up in the states and English is my native language. My work schedule means that I'm busy Mon - Fri from 6:00 AM - 3:30 PM (Mountain Standard Time). I'm also busy till 5 PM on Saturdays but besides that I'm very flexible. -Jon
Hey, my name is Peter and I have been playing DnD and the FFG Star Wars RPG-s for a year now. I don't really have a preference of character (or sourcebook), so I'm fine playing whatever. I love Star Wars , its my favorite universe (and the only universe in which I did Game Mastering). I am from Hungary, so I think we are in the same time-zone. Anyway, consider me for your campaign. Thanks in advance, Peter
Oh man, that's like 100000% more than I imagined D: My english is braking down from excitement right now. I'll post more info soon, maybe talk to some of you. I'm sorry, that I can't take everyone, but that would be a bit too much for me. BUT THANKS! D:
Tom, I know you already have quite a few applicants, but I would love to throw my name in too. I have been the GM for two FFG Star Wars games, one a short campaign to learn the system and the other a currently ongoing game, but have been unable to actually play in one myself yet. I would love the chance to sit on the other side of the table! As for me, my name is Brian. I currently live in Utah in the US, but don't hold that against me! Trump didn't have my vote ;). I have been playing various rpgs since I was 14 or 15, so more than a decade now. I love Star Wars and this system is definitely my favorite so far. Narrative dice are so good! As for scheduling, I am extremely open. I work remotely from home and have the flexibility to set my own hours, so besides my current Saturday morning game and occasional meetings, I am open to whatever.  Thanks for your consideration. Hope to talk to you soon!
I appreciate comment about your vote :D Well, I'm a bit overwhelmed by the reaction, so I need to figure out some things and I will send you PM with info when I'm done. 
Yes some non DnD love!  Glad to see a SW EotE getting some wheels, or should I say light speed?  I work weeknights or I would toss in an app ass well.
Hi there! Damn, you find someone in your timezone and already he's being flooded with players. But hey, I'd like to give it a shot, too, so: My name is Jonas and I'm a student in Dresden, Germany. I have a bit of experience in roleplaying, but lately I've mostly acted as a GM for Star Wars: Age of Rebellion and would like to "just play" again myself, if you know what I mean. Your sandbox-y approach sounds very promising and seems to offer a lot of interaction with the players. I'd love to see it in action! I have a vacation period coming up, so my schedule won't be too busy. Unfortunately, I do not speak Polish, but my English should be good enough (I hope). No special preferences for any type of character, I can just adjust to who the other players want to portray. I'd love to hear from you!

Edited 1488157980
Hey Tom,  It's pretty rare for somebody in a compatible timezone to be running a game Star wars so here goes nothing. I'm Julian, 18 year old student living in the UK. I've got a fair bit of experience playing role-playing games, had my first game early last year and been hooked ever since. Most of my experience is with 5th edition, but I've got a bit of experience with FFG from a few streams and a oneshot or two. I've always enjoyed a good sci-story, Star wars especially as it just has such an interesting and expansive lore surrounding it. I've been really interested in playing a game of star wars FFG for some time now, no luck so far due to differing timezones, or several flaky players/DMs. I really enjoy a sandbox with gentle overarching story approach to role-playing games, I find it makes more organic characters, who fit in the world a lot more and just seem realer.  I had a few character ideas, such as a Guardian Soresu defender, but I'd definitely want to discuss with everybody before I set anything in stone. I'm generally always available Wednesday evenings, from around 2pm UTC onwards. As far as languages go I do not speak polish, but can speak German and Spanish, and understand a bit of Dutch/French. Thanks for the post and hope you have a good campaign regardless!
Hello, I'd like to start off by saying I'm in western Canada (PST) so time-wise I'm kind of distant from you, so if that's a deal breaker then I guess that's that. My name is Matt, I'm 18 and I've been playing tabletop rpgs for about 5 years now. That experience was mostly with 5th edition, and I've never played with FFG yet, but I've been learning the rules for a few days and I think I understand most of the mechanics. I've been a Star Wars fan for as long as I can remember, watching the original trilogy when I was a kid and seeing rots in theaters. I've played all of the tor games, republic commando, empire at war, and many others. I don't speak Polish, but English is my first language so I think I should be able to communicate well enough with you. I have a couple of character ideas, but I'm most interested in playing a Wookiee Guardian, but of course I want to talk things over with the other plays to make sure everything melds well. I'm available on the days you mentioned from 9 AM - 12 PM PST, and I'm about 8 hours behind you, so I think I can make things work.

Edited 1488586350
Witam, mam przyjemność poznać Pana GM i Master of Star Wars .. (żartuję)! Hi, I am James, AKA Old Skool DM.  Age 51, retired US Navy.  I was born in America, but my heritage is European mixed. My Grandmother was Byelorussian/Polish, my Grandfather was German, and I speak introductory level and can read and write German, Russian, and Thai, but also slowly learning Polish from books. I embarked upon study of these languages many years ago in the military, but also to better portray roles of German, Russian, and Polish NPCs as a GM for a GDW Twilight: 2000 game set in Poland in 2000 Alternative history post World War 3... that I ran in the 80's.  and am learning Polish to recapture my heritage. I know and use real gas station maps of Poland along with photographs of actual buildings for my Twilight 2000 games.  That is the level of detail I crave as a DM, and it is wonderful to find as a player. I just want to jump in here as a Star Wars GM from the old days, of West End Games, D20 Star Wars, SAGA Edition, and now Fantasy Flight and say thanks for this effort. We need more GMs.  I recently retired from America to Thailand a year ago. When I moved here, I brought all three of the core hardback books, and the new flavor dice.  I was part of the Edge of the Empire Beta playtest, and have all three actual core books. I used to run demo games when EotE was the only book out and I ran this game last year, here in Thailand as face to face for a group of five players. I am a narrative style GM, and like the new wave of narrative style games, like this FF Star Wars version, and cubicle 7's One Ring RPG. Fail forward, "Yes, and..." and all those narrative techniques. I have been a game referee for 40 years. I started Gming at age 11, running the "hard sci fi" flavor game of Traveller. You probably have too many players to handle.  Such is that case when a popular game is presented with enthusiasm here. Yet, in case as many players do, people drop out, I would like to have my name on your backup list, as a potential player. Once I am in the game, I am reliable, I will attend on time, I am a team player, not a glory hound, and can remain in the background or lead if no one else wants to take that role.   I am a voice actor, and have worked in small independent films as an actor, and producer.  I like to see where the plot is going and facilitate that.  I also like to run completely detailed, completely sandbox narrative style games...I know you want more direction, I am just sharing that i understand the problems of the "sandboxish GM". Good luck with this effort.  If you want to form a sort of Star Wars GM's Guild, I am sure we can become friends. Good luck, and again, thanks for being a small part of what makes roll20 great. GMs willing to devote their time.
Hey guys! I feel OVERWHELMED by your reaction. Honestly, I'm completely new here, so I couldn't even imagine such an amazing reaction. Thank you so much, and I'm so, sorry I can't take all of you :( but I know who to call, if I'm gonna run out of players! I hope we'll meet again :D
Good luck with it.  :)