Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Mapping Glitch at the 20% zoom

I noticed an odd thing a couple times while making a large outdoor map, so I decided to test it, and it occurs every time at the 20% zoom, but not at any other. If you have a token or object that extends beyond the bounds of your map, it extends the view out to the edge of that token/object, as can be seen in the screenshot below: This is at 10%: And this is at 30%: I have checked it all the way up to max zoom, and it only occurs at the 20% mark...

Edited 1488475931
Tetsuo
Forum Champion
Hey Kwulfe, sorry to hear you're having issues! Could you please please carefully work through the first three steps of our guide to Solving Technical Issues ? Step 1: Make sure to use the right browser Please check if these issues persist when using both Chrome and Firefox. Step 2: Ensure that there are no extensions/addons interfering with Roll20 Please disable all add-ons/extensions and anti-virus programs. Step 3: Clear your cache If none of the above succeeds, please thoroughly work through Step 4 . When you grab your console log, do it while zoomed in so that the bug is active.

Edited 1488474146
I have done the basic troubleshooting (20yrs IT professional). I have even tried it on 3 different computers, to verify, and on two different internet connections, to see if it might be a latency issue. It occurs exactly the same on all systems, and both connections. Even verified my connection speeds (137.6mbps and 212.6mbps) and the issue followed. It was done in Chrome, Firefox, IE and Edge. I also created a new map with new objects and it duplicated the error. I will work through your Step 4 to see what the results are. Thank you.
Gid
Roll20 Team
This is a longstanding issue since Roll20's inception. It is an issue with the HTML5's Canvas element. We've investigated this in the past, but it's stumped us every time we've looked at it. In order to fix this issue, it will likely require us to tear apart the entire element to investigate what is causing the expanding pages at certain zoom levels. Due to the man-power and time required to do this, we've never been able to dedicate enough resources to focus on this yet. This is why  we're hiring to double up our development staff numbers to help spread the work load around.
Simple solution... get rid of the dead space / border container and expand the map to fill the entire map area instead.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Ha! I just noticed this last night during our game. I wondered what was going on. Fortunately, it's more of a minor annoyance than a problem.