Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Recreating Magical Darkness vs. Darkvision vs. Normal Vision

Hi everyone.&nbsp; So I just posted this as a reply to a related thread in the Suggestions Forum.&nbsp; However, I don't know how likely it is to be seen there, and feel this could help some people.&nbsp; Check out this post for the method I just came up with for recreating Magical Darkness, so that characters without darkvision can't see into/through the area of effect, but characters with darkvision can. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1562553/dynamic-" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1562553/dynamic-</a>...

Edited 1489864671
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Nicely done. I'd add that you don't really need to put you as gm in the controlledby field. Also, who do you remove your on-darkvision players' "has sight" ability? They shouldn't be able to see out of the bounds of the darkness polygon anyways, and unless they are emitting light, there won't be any light for them to see by in it anyways.

Edited 1489868950
Great point on not needing to turn off player Has Sight.&nbsp; But, if the room has light sources (such as lamps on walls, continual flame orbs hanging from ceilings, etc) GM will need to be mindful to move these to GM layer when they are within darkness effect. This will negate their illumination, as per the spell description (Pathfinder).&nbsp; Unless they are magical light, and higher level than Darkness spell.&nbsp; So this method does require some token manipulation. The only reason to add GM in Controlled By field is if you want to use "Re-Join as player" to test the setup.&nbsp; If GM name is not in Controlled By, you only see darkness in player view.
Was looking for how to do this. Side note if you hit ctrl+L while you have a token select you will see things from their perspective, you don't need to rejoin to see it.
Ctrl+L does not work the same as Rejoin as player. &nbsp;When I rejoin as player I get a different view than if I use Ctrl+L.
Omegaman said: Ctrl+L does not work the same as Rejoin as player. &nbsp;When I rejoin as player I get a different view than if I use Ctrl+L. Yes as GM using Control+L will still let you see things on the GM layer I have a small stable of NPCs that I control and always scatter them around a map for testing. I just have to remember to clean them up or I get "What is the bartender doing in the dragon's lair? I knew we couldn't trust him."
As the GM, to simulate the view of the character with dark vision, you have to shift+select the player icon and the dark vision tokens. &nbsp;With all of them selected simultaneously, then use ctrl+L. &nbsp;yes, you may still see some things on the GM layer, but that's beside the point. &nbsp;If you only select the player token and hit ctrl+l, then line of sight will stop at the polygon grid on the dynamic lighting layer. then, when you "re-join as player" you will see the same thing since also you've assigned yourself to the darkvision tokens, assuming you have dark vision tokens both inside and outside the polygon grid on the dynamic layer. These are just 2 different methods for testing the setup. &nbsp;Regardless, it works. &nbsp;You just have to assign the correct people to the darkvision tokens and place them in the appropriate locations.