Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

How to customize chat formatting?

Edited 1489950798
Our group plays by Roll20 chat. We've had our first session yesterday, and it was fine, but several of my players have found chat lacking in terms of readability. I'd like to know if there's a way to fine-tune chat formatting. Here's what we're looking for: As far as I could tell, your own messages always have blue background, those of others have light grey background. Is there a way to set it so that all player messages (OOC) would be have one color and all character messages (IC) would have another one? This is the big qualm which makes some of my players feel the chat is too chaotic with IC and OOC mixed together. I don't want to resort to a second chat off-site, so I'm looking at my options here. Can /me and /desc text be aligned to left side (or justified, for that matter)? My /descs can be several lines long even with chat frame taking up half the screen at 1980x1080 and it looks a bit silly. Can I turn off italicizing for /desc and /me? Also, orange text color for /mes feels like a weird choice.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I've heard of people using the extension "stylish" to change their personal displays but I never tried it. Each person would have to install the extension and set it up for their computers. There is powercards (I believe it is an api script which is a pro subscription feature) that might do that. I never tried it but someone will be along to say yes or no about it. There is also the various markdown language codes you can try. There is some text chat  basic formatting that might help.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Pat S. said: There is powercards (I believe it is an api script which is a pro subscription feature) that might do that. I never tried it but someone will be along to say yes or no about it. More generally, the API can inject most HTML into chat, giving wide control over the style of the output. (This is what Power Cards does). As Pat says, though, the API requires that the campaign creator have a Pro subscription. One thing you might try without the API is roll templates; the default template available in all campaigns will give you a table with a purple title bar, a column of bold text, and a column of non-bold text. Different character sheets also have their own roll templates of various styles.