Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[LFG/LFM] Seeking a DM for A MATURE 21+ pathfinder game

I'm looking for someone who wants to DM a pathfinder game for a group of mature players. I've already got 5 people interested in my pitch so we've already pretty much got a full party.  I'd really like to play in a game that was just the basics. When I say that I mean no PC classes or races outside of the core books. (I get it, this isn't everyone's preference, but I as a player don't really enjoy rolling into a dungeon with A Dragon Pirate Ninja and a Lesser Demon Elementalist.) The point, and what I'm going for here is a game that's story and plot driven, without power/meta gaming or any OOC drama.  If you're even remotely interested in running a game where you can create complex NPCs that your party will interact and roleplay with instead of just murdering or stealing from, and developing a rich narrative that has the potential to evoke emotional responses from your players I encourage you to PM me or comment here. If you end up running it, and all goes well, I may even consider buying you a month of Plus or Pro or something. I don't know. I'm just desperate for actualy Role Playing as opposed to Roll playing. I know this comes across as a but of a rant but I've joined 6 different roll 20 games and the result is always the same so I'm taking matters into my own hands and trying to build a group from the ground up. PM me for details. 
Kent, hello. Such games exist.&nbsp; Usually you have to run them yourself, not only to set a direction and control, but also because so very few narrative style GMs exist in the overall millions of players in the larger RPG community, or here on roll20. I run a game like this for a group of players on roll20 using 5th edition D&D that is TEXT ONLY.&nbsp; No voice. Thus the players prefer to write and type, and many of them are bloggers or writers. It is set up in a hand made low magic, low fantasy kingdom that I designed based on the seed of an idea by my first player here. The setting and players work together to tell a story much like the day to day lives of the inhabitants of a small town of 1000 people of a very religious community in an alpine forest in the mountains at 300m (1000') Altitude. I had run similar games before a la Deep Space 9 Star Trek (By Last Unicorn) and Name: Aces & Eights: Shattered Frontier Publisher: Kenzer , Company wild west game, or even more specifically Name: The One Ring Roleplaying Game Publisher: Cubicle 7 Entertainment this is the absolutely best role-playing game about Middle Earth that has ever been published. And in my mind, the best game currently in print for narrative style fantasy RP...you can do it with 5e, .. and I do. But it takes work and focus, and hand recruiting players. A great review here: <a href="https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/17/17089.phtml" rel="nofollow">https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/17/17089.phtml</a> One Ring RPG by cubicle 7, or in its newly released format, "Adventures in Middle Earth" for D&D 5th Edition as a plugin. (But played like One Ring, for the 5e system, not like Crash and bash D&D.) A Song of Ice and Fire RPG "Game of Thrones Edition". &nbsp; All of these which specifically encourages (One Ring Demands it!) a narrative style of play.&nbsp; In One Ring, there is no XP for combat. Zero, you only get XP for narrating what you do as you perform a skill, and then only if the players or the DM agree that you did well. The conflicts occur because of the setting, not combat-as-drama.&nbsp; The group are all religious types or somehow related to the Temple of a good-aligned god of protection.&nbsp; We use text, and type to each other on game day once a week, and in-character posts to each other all through the week, off and on, as players feel like it. I see what you are looking for.&nbsp; It is not a rant, it is a style of play that is just very rare , when the normal game is about dungeons and loot. Those exist in this game setting I have come up with, it is just that the motivation right now is on getting to know each other's pcs, and backstories. We have done a total of I think 5 die rolls total among 5 players over the first session. We use narrative Techniques based on cooperative roleplaying, such as "Yes, And, / Yes, but, / No, and, / & No But...". Games like: Fiasco Publisher: Bully Pulpit Games , and Cosmic Patrol Publisher: Catalyst Game Labs When I ran One Ring here two years ago, and Game of Thrones, I had 11 and 8 players in each game, respectively. When I launched One Ring, the players demanded to play more. We did three sessions in a single day, and that game mega-session ran for 13 hours, until it was literally 1 am where I was, and I told them, "I am passing out." I state clearly up front when recruiting, player to player harmony, no bullshit, no OOC Drama.&nbsp; I usually have female players and usually they are the first to bail when things go bad.&nbsp; No need to buy Pro Membership, I have had it for years. I also run James Bond RPG and a D&D 5e Offline. Sadly my time is thus limited. My 5e game here on roll20 "The Lost Empire D&D 5e" has a waiting list of three in line already, in addition to the 5 players I have. Your post will find people.&nbsp; But In my experience, you are seeking a DM with a lot of GMing experience, like Gold or me, or literally a handful of mostly very old DMs, (I am 51, and have been gaming for 40 years) who are old school, who are drawn to Narrative style gaming. We exist. and it is hard to find players for this style. Literally a lot of the DMs my age are dying off. My peers are name game designers, though in my case, I did not go that route, but instead joined the military and retired, and I have done work in the US independent film industry, and also wargame playtesting. Narrative GMs do exist here.&nbsp; If you want to form a guild or something, I would join it. If you want to observe what I have going on, I can get you an invite to my Discord Server, and my Campaign space on roll20, but only as an observer , as I already have a waiting list...and you are seeking pathfinder, not 5e. I could not possibly handle another group. Literally, if you could find a pathfinder game, I want to be a kingdom builder as a player using the Pathfinder Complete Campaign rules. (I am using them as a plugin for my 5e game, along with some stuff from TSR's Birthright for 2nd Edition AD&D in my setting here.) We Narrative GMs / Sandbox / Limited Sandbox GMs exist. Over time, you probably will be one of them. Basically because if you want that style of play, you need to (I am not kidding) run it yourself. Welcome to roll20.
James, Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post, and thank you for the wealth of information you provided. It's certainly some stuff that I need to keep in mind. Looking towards the future I do intend on running a campaign of my own, but I'd prefer to find one to play in for the time being. Namely something that utilizes voice (I'd be open to Cam but I don't think it's necessary and infact&nbsp;find it distracting.). Text only isn't really something that I'm interested in as it tends to make sessions take a good amount longer. Again, thank you for your time and insight.
Agreed, it does take longer.&nbsp; Or less content during sessions. Again, welcome to roll20.