Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Call of Cthulhu 7ed

AquaAlex
Sheet Author
Translator
API Scripter
I have made some changes to the sheet but need to see what community thinks as maybe they prefer the existing roll templates. Since bonus or penalty dice should rarely be used and these additional roles are making the template unnecessarily complex for most rolls I removed it. In future I hope to work something out with the worker scripts to allow for anything from 1 to many additional bonus or penalty dice to be used correctly and still only showing one roll (the best for bonus dice and the worst for penalty dice) Also the bonus and penatly dice are suppose to only affect the 10's and not the 1's. Old Template:&nbsp; <a href="http://prnt.sc/eu4gyd" rel="nofollow">http://prnt.sc/eu4gyd</a> New Template:&nbsp; <a href="http://prnt.sc/eu4g4b" rel="nofollow">http://prnt.sc/eu4g4b</a> I also added worker script for autocalc of damage bonus, build and movement based on age and appropriate stats. To quote the rules: Bonus dice and penalty dice are not trifling small additions or subtractions of a few percentage points, and so should not be used without good cause. If a factor is so small that it would only modify a roll by a few percentage points then don’t bother with it. Driving in light rain should not inflict a penalty die, but torrential rain so thick that you can barely see, even with the wipers on full speed—now there’s your penalty! Roll an additional "tens" percentage die alongside the usual pair of percentage dice when making a skill roll. You are now rolling three separate dice: one "units" die and two "tens" dice. If you have a bonus die, you should use the "tens" die that yields the better (lower) result. For a penalty, use the "tens" die that yields the worse (highest) result.
AquaAlex
Sheet Author
Translator
API Scripter
Ok I have with community help came up with a better solution two roll buttons. 1. Normal roll (no questions asked) 2. Special roll (asks how many dice and if it is bonus or penalty) Both return the same result template. Nice and clean.

Edited 1492726948
AquaAlex
Sheet Author
Translator
API Scripter
So here is what the sheet will look like: The Roll template for all rolls/buttons: Normal Roll (Grey Button): Bonus Roll: (Green Button - 10 dice) Penalty Roll: (Green Button - 10 dice)
AquaAlex
Sheet Author
Translator
API Scripter
I think I will just change the Success: to Result:
When will the sheet be finished? I'm totally okay with the two roll buttons with the second button being the special roll with bonus/penalty options.
AquaAlex
Sheet Author
Translator
API Scripter
I am about half way with adding the extra buttons
Just a note that bonus and penalty dice get used all the time in combat. Point blank, darkness, cover, aiming, etc. We also often figure out a die that's been missed initially, so the old method worked really well for us.&nbsp;IMHO this was a case of breaking something that was fixed.&nbsp;
This is incredibly annoying, and a thing that was PERFECTLY FINE to begin with. Can Roll20 please stop "fixing" those rare things that worked well and focus your energy on the actually broken stuff, which is myriad? Just roll it back for Pete's sake!
AquaAlex
Sheet Author
Translator
API Scripter
Is not roll 20, it is community. And there was as many people not wanting it as people wanting it, that is why we created a discussion on how best to make it work for the majority of players.
Can you point me at this discussion? I see two threads reporting it as a bug since the changes were made. But no discussion.&nbsp; I'm not sure how someone could not want to see bonus/penalty dice, given that bonus/penalty dice are required for so many things in combat.&nbsp;And you can add anytime someone fires more than one shot per round or uses an automatic weapon. Those all require penalty die. Fire into melee? It wouldn't be a game of CoC if someone didn't fire into melee--penalty die. I know it was confusing at first, but for those of us who are actually running 7th Edition CoC, it worked perfectly. Surely it's better than having to fill out a secondary field every time you roll.
So, I am not seeing the option or button to add the penalties or bonuses on the sheet yet. Am I missing something or is it not implemented yet?
AquaAlex
Sheet Author
Translator
API Scripter
i am almost done with it. should be in next upgrade.
I'll see what it looks like, but I think it would be far better if the second button did the old style full set of rolls rather than requiring you to enter more data. A lot of times with all the added penalty and bonus dice in combat, we'll forget something and add it in after the roll. The old system was perfect for this and sitting at the table you'd just add another 10 die. But if you have to enter it all before, it's awkward, plus the work of typing or clicking something else when you didn't need to before.
AquaAlex
Sheet Author
Translator
API Scripter
I was thinking the same thing. Are you guys ok with only having 2 penalty or 2 bonus die? It becomes way to slow to do more than 2 penalty or bonus dice if I use the old style system. I am changing it again so the one dice will just roll a standard roll (no penalty or bonus) and the second roll button will roll it the same as it was before, then we kind of have the best of both worlds.

Edited 1493659231
Kathy
Plus
It only goes to 2 penalty or bonus dice. After that, I've been told you reduce the level of success by one plus the penalty dice, though a quick look through the rulebook doesn't yield a reference.
AquaAlex
Sheet Author
Translator
API Scripter
As far as I read the rules the bonus and penalty dice is a rare occurrence, rather use what we did in the previous versions, put a bonus or penalty on the dice roll. &nbsp;So maybe in that case the 2 dice penalty and bonus will work for 90% of cases where it is used. And the single dice roll will work for all the normal rolls without cluttering up space unnecessarily. So I will do that as it seems no one has complained about mroe than 2 dice, only that there is always the additional dice rolls which can be confusing. So I think this solution will be most usefull
I know it says they're rare in that paragraph, but they're really not in combat. Look at the combat rules or the summary on p408-410. There are bonus and penalty dice all over the place. I can't even remember a combat that didn't have one for something. Most common are a bonus for point blank and penalties for firing into melee, darkness, and multiple shots or auto-fire. Or if someone's outnumbered in melee, all attackers past the first get a bonus die. The idea is that you use levels of difficulty for unopposed rolls, but because opposed rolls compare the level of difficulty between two combatants, you need a secondary mechanic which are the bonus/penalty. And even in an investigative game like CoC, combat comes up pretty often. Even more in Pulp. Found the reference! P 116 under fully automatic fire. "If this would incur three penalty dice, stick with two penalty dice and raise the difficulty level by one step." Everywhere but that, it says the max are two bonus/penalty. I knew there was an exception somewhere.
AquaAlex
Sheet Author
Translator
API Scripter
ok cool, so then this solution works. I will get changes done this week asap, and do a pull request.

Edited 1493762827
AquaAlex
Sheet Author
Translator
API Scripter
Ok i have as a quicker fixed, removed my roll buttons, so roll buttons will now work the same as they did in the past. Change has been committed to branch and with next update it will roll out. Sorry for any inconvenience, I will remember in future to leave this old roll template for you guys. But I have left my worker scripts in and I have also left my smaller roll templates in. This will allow me to add the alternate roll button at a later stage without breaking anything for the current players that do prefer seeing all 3 dice rolls.
AquaAlex
Sheet Author
Translator
API Scripter
In future I will comment on here when I am ready to implement the option of a single dice roll.&nbsp; Also please let me know if the worker script needs fine tuning or if there are any other automated scripts you would like to see.
I would like to know when the sheet is going to be finished since I have postponed my game two times because of this. The players prefer if we do the roll with the macro rather than doing it manually so I really hope that this sheet would be finished like in a few days.

Edited 1494867098
AquaAlex
Sheet Author
Translator
API Scripter
sheet has been done a long time ago, you just have to wait till it rolls out. And it is easy to write macros lots of people on here will be willing to help you so never have to postpone games. :)
Aqua Alex said: sheet has been done a long time ago, you just have to wait till it rolls out. And it is easy tow rite macros lots of people on here will be willing to help you so never have to postpone games. :) Ah man I really REALLY liked the simpler, cleaner roll template, I just had my players roll an extra D10 to be used as a penalty or bonus die. I feel like this larger one is kinda clunky. Im not sure why there are three values under the rolled section?
AquaAlex
Sheet Author
Translator
API Scripter
Johnny said: Ah man I really REALLY liked the simpler, cleaner roll template, I just had my players roll an extra D10 to be used as a penalty or bonus die. I feel like this larger one is kinda clunky. Im not sure why there are three values under the rolled section? I am going to add a 2nd button to roll the simpler roll template, just give me a little time :) Then people can choose which template they want to use :)
AquaAlex
Sheet Author
Translator
API Scripter
Ok SO I have been busy with other things but finally got back to the sheet Here is buttons on top section: Grey Button (old Template): Green Button (new Template):
AquaAlex
Sheet Author
Translator
API Scripter
Anyone has requests for more scripts? I did add some scripts to the sheet and it will work even for people not using API.
AquaAlex
Sheet Author
Translator
API Scripter
Here is the skills: Weapons: And some test rolls for Weapons:
Shame I missed this discussion. I love the 7e sheet. I think it’s an extremely well put together sheet, and that it’s great as it is with the old version of including everything in a single macro output. Yes it does take some time to explain how to read the output to new CoC players, but I’ve never run into anyone, who didn’t get it after an hour of play. I don’t think adding two separate bottoms would fix the perceived problem here. The complaint, as I understand it, is that the macro is too complicated to “get” at a glance for new players. Adding extra bottoms to the sheet seems to me like it would count-productive to ease new players into using the sheet. Now suddenly the Keeper has to explain what each bottom do, when to use each one, and why there are two bottoms for the same thing. That said, I don’t think an extra bottom would ruin the sheet, and I’m certainly interested in how other people feel about it. Unfortunately I don’t have a CoC game running at the moment, so I can’t give my input on how it works out in play, but I’m looking forward to using the sheet in future games. Thanks for the hard work in putting it together Alex.
I approve of this decision. :D
AquaAlex
Sheet Author
Translator
API Scripter
Ok changes should now be pushed through to Roll20. Becuase,&nbsp; Johnny asked I have changed the green from the bright green to a darker green for the 2nd roll button.
It's functional. I still don't understand the need for the change or how someone can be playing 7E without the bonus/penalty dice.
AquaAlex
Sheet Author
Translator
API Scripter
some of us rarely use the bonus/penalty dice especially since it is a new feature and it is suppose to (well on skills) be a rare occurrence and worker scripts makes things easier for calculations

Edited 1496681876
Kathy
Plus
On skills it's rare, in combat it's ubiquitous. Though admittedly, the group I'm a player in has a lot more combat than most CoC and when I GM, I either go Trail for pure investigation or Pulp which obviously has a lot of combat with tommy guns and the whole nine yards. Either way, we ran last night and the sheet worked fine.
AquaAlex
Sheet Author
Translator
API Scripter
i am glad, if you need any scripts let me know :)&nbsp;
I've yet to figure scripts out. I've barely managed to get a Night's Black Agents sheet together for my Dracula Dossier game.
AquaAlex
Sheet Author
Translator
API Scripter
don't stress loads of people around that like writing API and Worker Scripts and willing to give advice:) If you need something on the CoC let me know. I am more focussed on CoC and AD&D scripts and sheets as these are the games I am currently playing :)