Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Chat Archive not loading.

Edited 1492091037
Well, this bug has reared it's head again and my party, plus GM, have been unable to open the chat archive to our game. I doubt we've clocked in any more than 50~ hours. It would be much appreciated if this problem can be resolved. My current browser is&nbsp;Chrome 58.0.3029.68, and I know that only one other party member uses Chrome while the others use Edge/Opera/Firefox. The link to our game, in case it helps any: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/chatarchive/1786536" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/chatarchive/1786536</a>
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Is this a text-only game? Even with just 50 hours of play, a text-only game can rack up a considerable amount of content in the chat log, making it take an exorbitant amount of time to load.

Edited 1492202440
Zargon
Sheet Author
I took a look at this and managed to reproduce this bug a few times with a text based campaign of mine. &nbsp;If it stops working again, try using the link to the chat archive from the game page instead of ingame as that seemed to work fine. Unfortunately this is probably going to be a pain to diagnose if it wasn't just intermittent server issues as here are the tests I did: Game A- Chrome - new tab ingame link = Doesn't work (has done this for ages) Game A - Chrome - open link ingame = page load slow, &lt;div class="content"&gt; is empty when finished Game A - Chrome - External archive link = page load slow, Content displays correctly Game A - Chrome - open link ingame = page load slow, &lt;div class="content"&gt; is empty when finished Game B - Chrome - open link ingame = page loads fine. Game C - Chrome - open link ingame = page loads fine Game A - Edge - open link ingame = page loads fine Game D - Edge - open link ingame = page loads fine Game A - Chrome - copy to dev server, open link ingame = page loads fine. Game A - Chrome - open link ingame = page loads fine (Yes, this is the same test case as 2 and 4, with different results) (To note, Game A is a long running text campaign with a massive chat archive B,C, and D are also text based but many months shorter in playtime.)
Gid
Roll20 Team
I'm seeing a JSON error when trying to pull up your chat archive, what likely happened is someone copied and pasted content from a PDF and some unfamiliar character/formatting elements that don't jive well with our chat caused a JSON session corruption. I'll ask the devs to take a look at it from the backend to see what's specifically causing that error.
Ah, a couple of us posted snippets from our DH2e rulebooks while discussing abilities in our pre-game sessions.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Joe S. said: Ah, a couple of us posted snippets from our DH2e rulebooks while discussing abilities in our pre-game sessions. Yeah. That may have what have caused some issues. My recommendation for you and your players that if you're needing to copy and past something from a PDF resource, is to first paste it into a text editor like note/word pad. That'll typically scrub off any non unicode content that could cause a hangup. Then copy that content and paste it into chat. Once we've had a chance to look at your chat archive, we can likely pinpoint which gaming session caused the JSON error. We may have to purge that session in particular to salvage the rest of the chat archive, but we'll let you know what we find before we do anything of the sort.
Gid
Roll20 Team
This is definitely a JSON corruption issue. Do you still want this chat log to be salvaged? If not, going to the Game Details Page and clicking on the Settings button will give you the ability to permanently Clear the Chat Archive. This will remove the corruption that is preventing your chat archive from appearing and you'll be able to start fresh.
Sorry, I'll have to ask the others first, which is a bit hard sometimes due to timezones (8 hours difference ftw).
Gid
Roll20 Team
Joe S. said: Sorry, I'll have to ask the others first, which is a bit hard sometimes due to timezones (8 hours difference ftw). Not a problem, Joe. This sort of fix isn't time sensitive. Whenever you have an answer, you can hit us up again.
The group has decided that the archive doesn't contain anything critical and has decided to clear it. Thanks for all of the help so far, it's much appreciated.
Gid
Roll20 Team
You're very welcome, Joe. I'll mark this issue as resolved.