Advertisement Create a free account

Token Actions for Monster Manual and paid content

Score + 32
1492174489
Ed S.
Plus
Token actions are one of the best features of Roll20. They allow a user to quickly perform a roll from the attached character sheet without having to open up said sheet and search for the roll. The current set up for tokens purchased at a premium price from the Monster Manual and other licensed paid content only includes the HP and AC assigned. If you wish to attack or do any other action with that token you need to open the character sheet and search for the correct button. This slows down game play and is an extra burden on the GM running the game because they need to have several character sheets open at once. I am asking that Roll20 build the token actions for the premium paid content for the basic actions that the monster or NPC would perform. We are paying a high dollar premium for this content and expect to get high dollar value including all the best feature of the platform.
As a new DM, this is the primary reason why I haven't bought any of the premium modules. I'm just creating my monsters according to a video of faking20 where he created a character sheet template with all the macros for the tokens. This would save me so much time that would definitely be worth the price they ask for.
1492391423
Sky
Pro
Ed S. said: Token actions are one of the best features of Roll20. They allow a user to quickly perform a roll from the attached character sheet without having to open up said sheet and search for the roll. The current set up for tokens purchased at a premium price from the Monster Manual and other licensed paid content only includes the HP and AC assigned. If you wish to attack or do any other action with that token you need to open the character sheet and search for the correct button. This slows down game play and is an extra burden on the GM running the game because they need to have several character sheets open at once. I am asking that Roll20 build the token actions for the premium paid content for the basic actions that the monster or NPC would perform. We are paying a high dollar premium for this content and expect to get high dollar value including all the best feature of the platform. You can create generic macros that work for each npc token: ?{Public Roll|Yes, |No,/w GM} %{selected|repeating_npcaction_$0_npc_action} You can create a macro in the collections tab, add it to your macro bar at the bottom of the screen, and it will pull the first Action macro from any D&D 5e OGL character sheet that is using the NPC part. You can create additional macros and increment the $0 to $1 and so on to do additional Actions on those monsters that have them. 
1492397419
Ed S.
Plus
Sky,  that's essentially what Timoteo is doing now.  It's extra work that would be nice to have already done.  
1492398045
Sky
Pro
No, my method is only one to four macros in the collections tab that works for all monsters using the OGL sheet. You only have to create that macro once and add it to the macrobar at the bottom of the screen near the player names. Timo's method is a new character sheet for everyone monster and using the macros on that sheet instead.
1492432444
Ed S.
Plus
I am aware of the difference between your method and his, it's still extra work that I would like to see included in the premium price that we pay for the content. As you know there are other issues with including global token macros with local token macros when it comes to sorting, so I try to avoid them. The best solution is for Roll20 to use the built in features of their platform to give greater utility to their paid content and show what they have to offer over the competition.
1492457619
Sky
Pro
Ed S. said: I am aware of the difference between your method and his, it's still extra work that I would like to see included in the premium price that we pay for the content. As you know there are other issues with including global token macros with local token macros when it comes to sorting, so I try to avoid them. The best solution is for Roll20 to use the built in features of their platform to give greater utility to their paid content and show what they have to offer over the competition. Yes, I know it would be nice... but character sheets don't actually have an easy way to just check a box and add that macro to the token actions. It requires going into the Abilities tab and making those macros. It's probably possible to write an api script to do that automatically, but with my method, you make four macros once and you're done forever. You have four macros you can use on any monster for their main actions. You could even boil it down to one macro with a query. ?{Public Roll|Yes, |No,/w GM} %{selected|repeating_npcaction_$?{Which action|1,2,3,4,5}_npc_action}
1493043010
Ed S.
Plus
I do see there is a script that Kevin wrote up to do it here Thank you Kevin What I would like to see is to have this pre-done as part of the payment we make for the premium content.
1496066907
I think Ed S. has a good point. I wish they would come with their actions attached as token actions. Love me some token actions.  But on the other hand nice macro Sky. It solves the problem fairly well. Also i have taken to double click minimise character sheets and it makes management much, much easier.
1505498747
Ed S.
Plus
Since everyone has some freed up votes, how about getting behind some real quality of life improvements like this suggestion. Token actions make for a smooth running game.
1511789650

Edited 1524862341
If we are going to pay for an out of the box experience, it would definitely be ideal to not have to do hours of token setup. Definitely got my vote
1513704856
DM
Pro
THIS! I mean, why not just have a box that you can check next to the ability to export it out to the token action section. Seems like a simple fix, and would make a world of difference in speeding up my games. 
1523423588
Ed S.
Plus
I find it very hard to believe that it's already been a year since I made this suggestion and the usability of the paid content is still far below par. 
1523479974
I just purchased some wizards of the coast content and I couldn't agree more. I was led to your thread while looking for a solution but I have yet to find one. Until its fixed I probably wont buy anymore Wizards content. Token actions are some of the best tools in the software.
i use a token Action API that can create them for me basic on the NPC or character sheet Actions and such but it would be nice not to have to. 
1523651923
I have 4 macros like this: Action0 = /w GM %{selected|repeating_npcaction_$0_npc_action} and so on for 1-3, each with the "Show as token action?" box checked.  When I select a token from the Monster Manual or the specific module I bought from WotC, I get all 4 macros in a bar at the top left of my window.  I can just press these buttons to use the attacks listed on the token's character sheet.  It's not clear why you need Wizards or Roll20 to set this up for you?  The token actions themselves are already in the Monster Manual character sheets in the journal, and a simple macro allows you to use those abilities without having to open up the character sheet and click them manually.
1523679147
Ed S.
Plus
Asgorath said: I have 4 macros like this: Action0 = /w GM %{selected|repeating_npcaction_$0_npc_action} and so on for 1-3, each with the "Show as token action?" box checked.  When I select a token from the Monster Manual or the specific module I bought from WotC, I get all 4 macros in a bar at the top left of my window.  I can just press these buttons to use the attacks listed on the token's character sheet.  It's not clear why you need Wizards or Roll20 to set this up for you?  The token actions themselves are already in the Monster Manual character sheets in the journal, and a simple macro allows you to use those abilities without having to open up the character sheet and click them manually. I answered this higher up in the thread, I will not go over that ground again. I will ask this, what of creatures that have more than 4 actions? Also how do you know what you are even clicking on? How many times to I have to guess that Action 0 is multiattack? 
1539212174
I agree that token actions should be included in the official modules. Any updates in this regard?
1539279680
none that I have seen or heard
1539349714

Edited 1539577983
Ed S.
Plus
I think they are afraid of it treading on Pro account subs and API use, but you don't need any API to make token actions, so I am not sure.  I would like to at least see spells added to NPC's. It's sad this platform won't take advantage of it's own features on it's premium content.
1539528057
Still would like to see an official answer on this.