Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

How big is too big?

I'm currently working on the Dungeon level of the Undermountain. I'm using the cool dungeon tile set InfinityDungeon (thanks to the builder). My map size is 250X250. I get a message that this map may not load each time I bring it up. My map has loaded each time I bring it up. I'm using a projector to display the map on a table and it loads everytime I bring it up. I've put a lot of time into the map so far and I'm half done. Just curious about the data I'm dragging to the map and the max cache or data size for each map? Would I be better served splitting the map in two? If anyone is interested in the campaign when I'm done message me. Thanks AM
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
The problem is more that the map load may time out on you. Especially if you are using many tiles to setup your map. I'd recommend downloading the tile set you are using and making the whole map in gimp/photoshop/image editor of your choice and then uploading the final map as a single (or at least fewer) image. This will drastically cut down on your load time.
Never Considered that, thanks for the suggestion
you can also cut the map into quarters. I try to stay at 50 x 50 5' units.

Edited 1492586836
As I understand it any size over 100 in either direction will trigger the message.  I have a map that takes an age to load because it is the first one i did and, like you, I made it from lots of componants.  It does not trigger the message because it is not over 100 in size though.
Munky
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Any page size in Roll20 over 80x80 will trigger the message that the map may be too big. The map itself when uploading to Roll20 needs to be under 10mb for pro users. What I do is make maps at 25x25 units in Roll20 (3500x3500px) and upload those one at a time and snap them next to each other. You can create the file (in Photoshop or Gimp) at 250x250 roll20 units (each Roll20 unit is 140x140px, so mulitiply 250x140 to get your image size in pixels) but it might cause some serious lag on your PC, especially if you are using a bunch of tiles and not merging them together. If you do merge them it helps a ton. But once you get your fUll map created, cut it into sections- I've found 3500x3500px Iso a magic number that fits to a standard screen and never goes over upload size maximum. It also might not be a bad idea to put a1 b1 c1 a2 b2 b3 etc on your map so when you upload and piece it all together you know where the piece goes with that many files. Also it's not a bad idea to make them 100x100 or so aND have the next page be the next 100x100 section of the map. Hope this helps! 
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
MeditatingMunky said: Any page size in Roll20 over 80x80 will trigger the message that the map may be too big. The map itself when uploading to Roll20 needs to be under 10mb for pro users. What I do is make maps at 25x25 units in Roll20 (3500x3500px) and upload those one at a time and snap them next to each other. You can create the file (in Photoshop or Gimp) at 250x250 roll20 units (each Roll20 unit is 140x140px, so mulitiply 250x140 to get your image size in pixels) but it might cause some serious lag on your PC, especially if you are using a bunch of tiles and not merging them together. If you do merge them it helps a ton. But once you get your fUll map created, cut it into sections- I've found 3500x3500px Iso a magic number that fits to a standard screen and never goes over upload size maximum. It also might not be a bad idea to put a1 b1 c1 a2 b2 b3 etc on your map so when you upload and piece it all together you know where the piece goes with that many files. Also it's not a bad idea to make them 100x100 or so aND have the next page be the next 100x100 section of the map. Hope this helps!  Just a note, a roll20 unit is 70x70, not 140x140, although as long as you make your image using some square unit, it can be sized to match the roll20 grid.

Edited 1492612298
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Yeah, If you want maps that look nice at a higher zoom level, it's pretty common to make them 140x140 per unit, like a token. I wouldn't do it for a huge map, but a small area where the players spend a lot of time? sure.

Edited 1492634478
I re-did the Eye of the All Father map from SKT at a "to scale" version, and set the reso at 140 per inch. The map ended up being a massive 180 by 256. It's gigantic but it loaded up (even for my DSL speed player) and looked good while zoomed in.  Here is the link to my  Deviantart page if anyone would like to use it. Now this being said I wouldn't make EVERY map this big. I personally don't like squishing the tokens down for massive maps :p
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Dustin C. said: I re-did the Eye of the All Father map from SKT at a "to scale" version, and set the reso at 140 per inch. The map ended up being a massive 180 by 256. It's gigantic but it loaded up (even for my DSL speed player) and looked good while zoomed in.  Here is the link to my  Deviantart page if anyone would like to use it. Now this being said I wouldn't make EVERY map this big. I personally don't like squishing the tokens down for massive maps :p Very nice! Thanks for sharing.
I've been using Dungeon Painter Studio for my maps ($15 on steam).  I design the entire map, except for items that need to move and what not, and export it to a png and upload it to roll20.  Loads really fast.  The best part is you can tell DPS which game site you are using, and it sets the pixels per inch to match, so there is no trouble getting them to line up properly.