Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[5e OGL] AC Adding Items Mess up Barbarian's Unarmored Defense

In the settings for my character sheet, I've ticked the checkbox for custom AC and set it to 10 + Dex + Con. And my AC displays correctly. If I grab a Cloak of Protection, my AC drops. Seemingly, it becomes 10 + Dex + 1 (from Cloak), although the custom AC box remains the same. The same thing happens if I add a shield. If I unequip either item, the AC gets corrected. But subsequently re-equipping has no effect to AC.
There is an issue with using the custom AC setting that means that any items with an AC modifier (ac +x) no longer get added. The way that you can get around this is to give the barbarian a new item called Unarmored Defense and set the MODS value to increase the AC by the barbarians constitution modifier. Unfortunately this workaround requires you to update the value any time the barbarian's constitution increases because the MODS property can only hold a flat value. For example
Workarounds are better than nothing. Thanks Kyle!
You can also change the unarmored AC setting to use a different modifier for a moment, then go back to constitution to force it to recalculate AC correctly.