Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Yawning Portal - Opinion After Purchase (spoilers, potentially)

So I had already bought the physical copy of TftYP, and decided to also pick up the marketplace pack, as well as activating pro, (my first purchases on roll20 after roughly 2,000 hours of play. )  I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed.  I will say that among the positive is that if you do not have the physical book, this one can be used as a suitable replacement as all the information is there, but the negatives include: 1.  The NPCs don't actually have their attacks or spells entered into their sheets.  You still have to enter them or execute them all manually, adding a considerable amount of prep time to what should be a huge timesaver which MSRPs at the same cost of the physical book. 2.  Most of the NPCs that are not intended for combat don't have sheets at all, or tokens that can be dropped on the map.  As any DM can tell you, the odds that any group of players will go through a campaign and never fight anyone they're not supposed to is rather unlikely, leading to more prep work.  Even characters like Felosial in the first town, who are given monster stat blocks to reference aren't keyed in.  3.  The maps are in there, but in some places they are done in such a way that you have to go ahead of your players and delete assets or cover them up as they too easily give away things to players.  Secret doors and the like for instance are particularly frustrating.  I haven't had much time to look through the entire thing, but as I was potentially considering buying more books, like the monster manual and Volo's I begin to wonder if it even has attacks already written in or if it is completely undeserving of it's pricetag as well.  Or worse, if you have to buy those books to gain attacks and spells for creatures in the campaign you've already purchased.  Seeing as how the physical books can be purchased on Amazon for ~$25, and I own them, and the pdfs, it's pretty outrageous that the one of the two things I really bought the adventure for, premade maps and sheets, isn't there.  Buyer beware, I guess.
Additionally, yes, I probably should have bought one pack first and saw how I liked it, but the fact that those don't subtract from the total cost if you go on to buy the bundle, even at a percentage, is pretty nuts.  And I do still need the maps, even if the price is too high for the value you get. 

Edited 1495335742
If you find certain things that need improving don't be afraid to post a comment on the bug report forum in the Tales of the Yawning Portal Official Bug Report Thread . They have already made changes to White Plume Mountain for the better.   As for the NPC tokens, I feel that adding in ready to go Token Actions would make a big leap in the functionality and value of the purchased content. If you feel the same add a vote on my suggestion  Token Actions for Monster Manual and paid content .
Ed S. said: If you find certain things that need improving don't be afraid to post a comment on the bug report forum in the Tales of the Yawning Portal Official Bug Report Thread . They have already made changes to White Plume Mountain for the better.   As for the NPC tokens, I feel that adding in ready to go Token Actions would make a big leap in the functionality and value of the purchased content. If you feel the same add a vote on my suggestion  Token Actions for Monster Manual and paid content . I mean, the sad part is that everything about the setup they have going already supports this.  They could literally pay anyone minimum wage to just fill in the attacks, how long could it take.  We as DMs are being asked to do it, obviously, so just take literally one of those people ( I'll do it, for that matter. ) and have them fill in the attacks and spells. 
If you use the shaped sheet and it's companion script you will be able to have all tokens ready with actions, saving throws, skills, and if the spell is in the SRD have it filled out for you. I would suggest you try delving into that combination, using that and the maps that Roll20 has done cuts my prep time down to nothing (except for running a script that does everything for you).
If I am paying a premium price then I think the work should already be done. Also Roll20 is letting people miss out one of the best features of their own system. 
Ed S. said: If I am paying a premium price then I think the work should already be done. Also Roll20 is letting people miss out one of the best features of their own system.  I was able to get it done thanks to a player of mine and Brother Sharp above.  But it does not work with the Community sheet which is the default, which makes no sense as it's imo the best one.  Again, I played for 2,000 hours and got used to this one sheet and once you buy Portal you basically have to know how to code to change sheet and download third party scripts to get everything working.  Not really what I was paying for, but at least it works now.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I don't think the Community sheet has been updated in years. The OGL sheet is the closest thing to a "default" in this case, since it is the one developed and maintained by Roll20. IMO, the Shaped sheet is far more flexible and powerful, but the OGL sheet probably has less of a learning curve.
Ah yes, the old community sheet doesn't support the new features like drag and drop from the compendium and sheet creation when you pull a token from the compendium. The purchased content is a good reason to switch to the OGL or Shaped sheet.  You know, I just tested it and a character sheet is created for the community sheet when you drag from the compendium, it just isn't filled in. Anyway Roll20 only officially supports the OGL sheet with the purchased content as they are both maintained by the Roll20 team. 
keithcurtis said: I don't think the Community sheet has been updated in years. The OGL sheet is the closest thing to a "default" in this case, since it is the one developed and maintained by Roll20. IMO, the Shaped sheet is far more flexible and powerful, but the OGL sheet probably has less of a learning curve. The community sheet is the sheet the game gave us whenever we didn't pick a sheet.  That is the definition of default.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
There is no 'default' sheet, Roll20 is system agnostic and caters to a wide range of gaming systems. When starting a new game the sheet will be 'none' as they are not essential to using the VTT. A game can run just as well using basic attributes and abilities section, character sheets simply organise and provide aesthetics to the data. When adding TotYP to a game with no sheet selected it will apply the data to the attributes tab as normal but with no sheet to display the data you will only see this in the attributes tab. Simply put, the DM must  have selected a sheet at some point... or added the add-on into a game with a sheet already selected. However, as mentioned please report any issues you have in the  Tales of the Yawning Portal Official Bug Report Thread if you feel the current implementation lacks something that the hardcopy provides.