Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[LFP] The Great Pendragon Campaign 5.1, Sundays CEST (GMT+2) weekly/biweekly

Edited 1495358111
Hello! Let's start with some introduction! My name is Tomasz, you can call me Tom. I'm from Poland (GMT+2 currently, CEST) and I'm a player and GM with about 17 years of experience. That's a lot, yes! But I'm running games in english for... Woah, it's going to be two months now! It's hella fun, honestly. And it's a great way to practice my english, that is actually not as bad as I thought it will be. But don't worry, my spoken english is much better than written one. I studied in english for 2 years and have daily contact with english since I was 5. I'm 25 currently if that matters for anyone. So... What do I want to do? I want to run the Great Pendragon Campaign! Terrible idea, isn't it? :D Such an ambitious project! So let me start with some basic bullet points: I'm going to use Pendragon 5.1 rules. Aside of the core rulebook and - duh - campaign I'm going to use Book of the Manor and Book of Knights and Ladies, but I just want you to be proficient with core rules. If you don't know the rules and don't have the rulebook, don't worry! It's not going to affect your chances of joining. In both cases (you know/don't know the rules) I want one thing - open mind and eagerness to learn the system. It's not a complicated system, but good flow of the game requires players to be responsible for their mechanics. TGPC to be run fully requires... Well, two years of regular play at least. So there are 2 important things - we might not play it in whole, and there may be some player shuffling going on. But that's okay, don't worry about that. If you even want to join for like couple of sessions, that's fine. Just be open about it. I want to run it on saturdays, for 3-4 hours (4-5 in biweekly plan), starting somewhere between let's say 8AM- 8PM. Biweekly in the beginning, and if that date will work for everyone, we can move to weekly plan.  The most important thing I have in mind for this campaign, is that it's going to be focused on your characters legacy. That means, that it's going to be roleplay heavy. Of course, there's going to be ACTION, but the themes of family, romance, friendship, rivalry, destiny, and things like that will be the strongest. This means, that there can be a whole session focused on, for example, your characters going on your children wedding, trying to make new alliances, or half of the session might be your characters just spending some time reflecting on your old adventure. But don't worry, there's going to be plenty of EPICNESS and ACTION and BATTLES and BIG PLOT. TGPC has it's own features that might be important to mention. The technology and society develops throughout the campaign. Also the themes and general feel. First 10 years are a bit railroady to develop your first characters, next 10 years are a full sandbox, etc. First years are very, let's say, barbaric and even if there are some first signs of chivalry growing, there is still some time before you become knights in shining armor. Some of the campaign may be played outside of the main sessions - through letters for example. If you don't know yet, there is going to be a fast flow of time. 2-3 adventures a year, and sometimes even jumping through couple of years between the sessions. This is also why some adventures (plot-wise)  may look like fillers, but that's why I say that roleplay is the most important part of the campaign. Even if you just spend a session on a "friendly" raid on your neighbours, it still gives some opportunities to develop your characters, and their relationships. Application: I deeply hate  this "who's faster" way of recruitment, so I want you to post your application here. I want couple of things from you - first, tell me something about yourself, mostly about what kind of player you are. Second, if you are familiar with Pendragon. Third, what kind - in general - of character you want to play first. Then, what kind of family story you wish you could create. Finally... Just, write anything, tell me if you are excited, ask questions, just be open and friendly :D I choose players, not character. Especially since the campaign may (hopefully) take years :D Then, after I get a satisfying amount, I'm going to choose players from all of you. Woman in setting:  I'm going for this "female knights are very rare" vibe. I'm all for female characters, even some non-binary characters if they are in any way plausible in the setting. I'm not going for this "100% gentlewoman at home" option, because I want everyone to feel included in main plot, and I don't want "female knights are normal" because there is no dynamic. There are definitely some traditionalists that would rather die, than be slain by a woman, for example. But I think that giving my players an option to completely change, through the years of campaign, peoples view on gender roles in this fantasy society is a cool thing. And social conflict is a great dynamic. Diversity:  I can't believe I have to say that, but I notice that it's mentioned a lot of times, so I want to be veeery clear about it. This game is LGBT+ and woman friendly . Everyone can feel safe here :D character in the world might be sexist, homophobic, racist, whatever - but I am not, and tbh I'm kind of used to running games for mixed teams, so running a game just for guys is a bit weird for me :D I'm going to bump the thread couple of times.  If you want, you can PM me with questions :D Oh, right, important thing - I already have one player, I might take 2-3 players more. Maybe 4 if y'all are going to turn out as awesome as my other team :D
AAAAAH IMPORTANT! The game will run on SUNDAYS , I made a mistake, sorry ;_; Is there some friendly Mod that could change the name of the thread?
I am super interested then. I am Diego,17 years old,from Switzerland but I currently live in Spain.I am giant history and mythology geek,in my free time I play roleplaying games,I fence,I cosplay ect.I have 3-4 years of expierence on diverse roleplaying games from DnD to Warhammer over to the Legend of the 5 rings. I have no experience with Pendragon at all,I just looked over the corerule book once. I tought of maybe playing like a very firmly believeing pagan knight,the one who whould rather die then give up his faith and seek glory in everything he does,which sometimes doesn't work out. In famly history I think my char would descend from a line of pagan(choose one of the tribes and invaders)warriors.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
SillyWyrm said: AAAAAH IMPORTANT! The game will run on SUNDAYS , I made a mistake, sorry ;_; Is there some friendly Mod that could change the name of the thread? Ask and you shall receive. 
Pat S. said: SillyWyrm said: AAAAAH IMPORTANT! The game will run on SUNDAYS , I made a mistake, sorry ;_; Is there some friendly Mod that could change the name of the thread? Ask and you shall receive.  Thank you very much! Diego, I think that we'll create characters together :D
I see your timezone but do you have a specific time in mind for Sunday yet?
Then I am ready to go,msg me here and then we can do details good sir!
KK, it will probably depend on the specific team :)
Ok ,Ill await your msg ^^

Edited 1495400870
I'm interested. 35 year old Swede who currently work Fridays and Saturdays something that has complicated things now that I'm trying to get back in to roleplaying. Sundays however are great for me. I used to play quite a bit when I was younger but as time went on other things tended to take up more and more time. Lately however the itch has returned and here I am. Historically I've leaned more towards the game side than the roleplay side of the RPG spectrum, but that's mostly because of how my group used to do things. I'm certainly not against attending my childrens wedding! As for my experience with Pendragon it's rather minor. I have read the book and did dabble in a one-shot quite some time ago but my memory of how things actually work are muddy. I do however have access to the books and will read through them again to freshen up my memory. As for character... now there's a trickier one. I'm the kind of player that likes to see my character take shape during character creation and during talks with the rest of the group rather than show up with a pre-made concept. My first thought would be something a bit more exotic and perhaps from the continent, but that depends on what you allow from the Book of Knights and Ladies and how that would fit with the Great Campaign. It would probably lean towards the Glory in battle kind of character and the idea of coming from humble binginning and building up a legacy "from scratch" appeals me quite a bit. But as mentioned, I prefer to talk things like this over with the DM/Group before settling on a concept. And for the last point... Well needless to say the idea of actually playing the Great Campaign is bloody exciting. I've eyeing it over the years with curiosity and having a chance to be part would be quite great. And... that's about all I can think of at the moment. If you need anything else just let me know.
Hm, I think it might worry you a bit, that I wanted to start by the book, so all of you are going to start as squires from Salisbury, but we'll manage I think :D as I said, I prefer to wait for a bit to see if there may be some other people interested in playing. Stay tuned.
Right, couldn't quite remember what the background for the campaign "demanded". But it's hardly a big issue, as mentioned it was just the first idea that popped up for me. I shouldn't be much of an issue to figure out something else if needed. And for sure, one of the reasons I decided to apply for this is that you didn't follow the first to post is in formula, so I'm happy waiting for your decision!

Edited 1495404993
Axel
Pro
Sheet Author
Greetings fellow knights! I'm really interested in Pendragon. What time are you playing? For me, it would have to be early morning GMT +2. My RL tabletop group always plays on Sunday, but if your timeslot doesn't collide too much with that, I'll certainly try to make time for this! I'll get more into who I am and answer your application questions from above later, but I thought I'd ask about the time first.
As I mentioned before, somewhere around, let's say, 8-9 AM do 8 PM (to start of course, I don't see how playing 12 hours straight would work :D).
Bumping thread for early birds in Europe and night owls far away :D

Edited 1495439209
Axel
Pro
Sheet Author
Right, so if the time is still fluid, I can still apply! Huzzah! I can join this game if the starting time is set between 7-9 AM GMT+2, with 4-hour sessions, sometimes 5. I have a prior engagement every Sunday from 13:00 (01:00 PM) which would unfortunately interfere if this game started later. I'm a 37-year-old roleplaying veteran from Sweden (GMT +2). I've been playing RPGs for 17 years, and I've been a GM for 16 years. I've played several different RPGs, but not as many as I'd like, and currently I'm trying to get some experience with more story-telling-focused games. I'd love a chance to try out King Arthur Pendragon and I'm a big fan of medieval fantasy. I've seen the game played on a few Twitch streams and YouTube-series, and it looked really cool. I'm a fairly laid back player with mostly tactical RPG experience, but I enjoy creating interesting and exciting characters and have played plenty of story-focused campaigns as well. As a player, I always play as part of the team because RPGs in my mind are a collaborative experience. I also think that RPGs are meant to be fun and so I play with that in mind. For characters, I like to create characters that have a fairly high chance of survival so that I can play the character for an extended period. I prefer long campaigns with long-lived characters. This means that I usually try to make fairly mechanically strong characters that can live through a combat. That said, I never try to shy away from roleplaying or weaving interesting stories. I always try to give my characters in-world goals and connections that can help me make the character come alive, for myself at least. I've never played a generational game before, although I have played characters that had children, so I'm not certain what kind of family story I'd like to tell, but I'm looking forward to giving it a try. I'm a big fan of PC grand strategy games like those by Paradox Interactive , and Crusader Kings 2 is my favorite so far. That game is generational because you play a dynasty rather than a single character, so I'm familiar with the concept. Hopefully I can create a family that survives in an unbroken line through the whole campaign and build strong family bonds. I've never played Pendragon before but I've read through most the rules, and since I've also seen it played, I think I know the basics at least. I got so interested in it that I started fiddling with creating my own character sheet for Roll20 because I wanted one that looked more like the official sheets. I was on the verge of joining two different groups, but the time was never quite right. So, I'm really interested in trying your game and finding out if it's a good fit for me. I hope you'll consider my application. Cheers!
Hahaha, I played CC2 all day yesterday :D
Axel
Pro
Sheet Author
Cool!I have a couple of hundred hours in that game and I still love it! I've been thinking of getting back to my Viking conquest of Scandinavia now that I've mostly finished other games I've been playing. But exploring the new cults from the Mystics expansion also seems interesting. Perhaps I'll play an English count instead to get some inspiration for a possible Pendragon campaign.

Edited 1495441813
kundvagn said: My first thought would be something a bit more exotic and perhaps from the continent, but that depends on what you allow from the Book of Knights and Ladies and how that would fit with the Great Campaign. It would probably lean towards the Glory in battle kind of character and the idea of coming from humble binginning and building up a legacy "from scratch" appeals me quite a bit. But as mentioned, I prefer to talk things like this over with the DM/Group before settling on a concept. I think to make things a bit easier for our GM, who is running the system for the first time, we might want to stick to the Mainstream cultures presented in the Book of Knights and Ladies for the beginning. There are still some really interesting, foreign cultures (at least from the view of the mostly Cymric knights of Salisbury), that would work well with the family history generation system as well. Also keep in mind, that it is enough that one of the parents is of a different culture to have a chance of their children being of a foreign culture. It might even be a nice story hook for the character. Just imagine the scandal when a descendant from a long line of renowned Salisbury knights all of sudden takes a foreign wife. So besides the basic Cymrics we got the Irish, who are described as being welcome at any court and being numerous, so quite easy to explain. What the text fails to mention is that they are often also offering their services as mercenaries, so maybe an explanation like with the Picts would work for the Irish as well. Next we have the Picts from the far north of the British Isles. The easiest way to explain these rugged, practical survivors is that they come from Jagent - a homeland at the border to Cornwall loyal to the king of Logres, so Uther Pendragon at the beginning of TGPC, settled by Pictish mercenaries, brought there to keep an eye on the Cornish. The (West) Roman Empire is disintegrating, but there are still Roman settlements within Britain in general and Logres in particular. Thus explaining these cultured, learned men isn't that difficult. The Saxons are usually the enemy of the early years - they are invaders, coming to plunder and take the Britons' lands. However not all of them are hostile. Surrey is a homeland loyal to the king of Logres, which is inhabited mostly by Saxons. Last but not least we've got the Aquitainians - the Visigoth people from a region of Gaul, or later on France. Sophisticated and cultured, this culture brought forth the King Lancelot - grandfather of the famed Sir Lancelot. Unfortunately the book does not give a good explanation for how to incorporate them, but I'm sure we'll be able to come up with something - raiding part of Aquitaine, being exile from Aquitaine, seeking shelter from political enemies or the Franks after they destroyed their home are some things I could think of in instant. Personally I'm planning to play a Saxon from Surrey, who adheres to the religion of his ancestors, praying to Wotan and the other gods of the Germanic pantheon. He will be trying to be both a Wotanic Saxon and a knight of Salisbury - adhering to his religious as well as the beginning chivalric tenets. Edit: Sorry, quoting screwed up my whole post...there was a larger part above that, where I introduced myself. So now a lot shorter introduction at the end of the post instead. I'm the player that SillyWyrm mentioned. My name is Rasmus, I'm 30 years old and I'm from Germany. I've been playing P&Ps for over 16 years, mostly as a GM. About 2 years ago I started taking part just as a player instead in various Roll20 groups and just a couple of weeks ago joined one of SillyWyrm's games. My English isn't perfect, being a non-native speaker and never having lived in an English speaking country, but it's pretty advanced and mostly accent free I'd say, after learning the language for about 24 years and having had several summer vacations spent in Canada as well as studying it at university for a while. It will be my first time playing KAP, my whole experience with the system consists of watching some streams on Twitch and videos on YouTube and reading the various rulebooks. It's great to see so much interest in the game, have been looking to join a game for a while before I talked with SillyWyrm about it. Looking forward to play with you people and writing our own little story in the Arthurian legend of TGPC.
Hello there! Koractu is my one player already playing :D Hm, I just want to make it clear, because you are all giving me ideas, and they are awesome ideas. But I really want to start by the book. Not because I want to smother your ideas or smth :D  By the book means, that you are all going to be squires from Salisbury. At first session we're going to create your families by lifepath system, and we're going to talk about your characters, because you probably knew each other for a long time. But this still gives some cool options - you might be for example child of some old prisoners that became friends with local knight (maybe a father or grandfather of other player?) who allowed their children (you) to become squires. I want to start with Salisbury's squires because it works really well with Great Campaign, so I can assure you that payoff will be great :D If your character dies childless then I see no reason not to play a character made with Book of Knights & Ladies. But it's a story about growing up, growing old and/or dying, so sticking with your dynasty will be probably a good idea :D But hey, your children my grow up Saxon if they have Saxon mother for example :D

Edited 1495443327
Completely understandable and I have no issues with that. I'm have no doubts an interesting character will be able to take shape with that. EDIT: Should probably also mention that the timeslot that Axel mentioned (07-09 start time) is probably a bit too early for me. I usually work until midnight on Saturdays so getting up that early might be a bit of an issue. At least if I want to bring my brain with me to the session...
Axel
Pro
Sheet Author
That's a bummer kundvagn, because I probably can't go later on Sunday. Another day maybe, but not Sunday.
Shame to hear that Kundvagn, but I understand the importance of sleep.  It is nice to hear we are aiming for a session 0 though.  Incidentally, Hello people. I am another interested party that talked with our GM over PM before that thought I'd introduce myself proper here. So, Hello.  For reference, I'm an Australian and it seems I am the youngest member of this entourage at 23 (Turning 24) this year. I have been playing tabletop rpgs for over five years now with my home systems being: Dark Heresy, Only War, Iron Kingdoms and the Fantasy Flight Star Wars games. That said, I've played my share of roleplaying games from all sorts of systems, from D&D to the original Deadlands. I still need to pick up the 5.1 edition sourcebook, but I will purchase that if I manage to get into this game.  Despite never having played Pendragon myself, I am interested in learning it. The closest I've played to it is the song of Ice and Fire tabletop roleplaying game by Green Ronin.  I am all for a character creation session too so we can work out our characters together. 
I think I'll wait till, let's say, wednesday morning and contact people that I'll choose for the game :)
Hi, I'm very interested! I'm an English GM and player of about 2 years or so (I was the first GM for my group, so I only played a PC for the first time about 4 months after I started GMing). I'm 18, but I hope my age isn't a problem, as I like to consider myself capable of being appropriately mature. If you need a reference, Axel plays in a D&D game I GM, so I'm sure he could vouch for me being a cool guy :P I have some experience with Pendragon - after watching the RollPlay R&D Pendragon series, I later GM'd Pendragon for my group which lasted 2 sessions or so, and since then I've run two more one-shots of it for other groups and friends. I'm a big fan of character/narrative focused games like Burning Wheel, Blades in the Dark, Apocalypse World, and I recently took an interest in World of Darkness, although I haven't had the chance to try it out yet. Although I haven't been playing RPGs for that long, I've played a lot of them - I'm the kind of person who has a large library of rulebooks, but I've only played maybe 2/3 of them, and there's probably quite a few I've never even read all the way through. I could go for a variety of character concepts, although my favoured characters concepts tend towards martial characters with bad social skills, whether that's being introverted or having an oversized ego - I'm generally flexible with my character concepts, although I usually don't enjoy playing the "Face" archetype of the party as much as other stuff.  I can play on Sundays (BST), and I'd highly prefer the evening over other times of day. If I missed anything, ask away and I'll usually reply fairly quickly!
Bumping the thread, hopefully someone really interested won't miss it that way :) right now everyone has a chance!
I am really interested in joining your Great Pendragon campaign, I have sent you my appication and hope it painted a good picture of my want to join!
B-B-B-BUMPING THE THREAD! Just for couple of hours.

Edited 1495650294
SillyWyrm, you know me from my play by post game, the Lost Empire 5e on discord. You were too busy with classes, as I recall.  you are interested in joining my Twilight:2000 game set in Poland. Before anything else, let me say that I live as I think you recall in Thailand at GMT+7, and I have an offline 5e D&D game here (as a player) at 6PM to 10 PM my time so that is going to be 11 AM Sunday to 3-4 PM Sunday GMT. If that does not conflict, I can join. If it does, well and good and good luck. So, I am a narrative style player and GM. I like epic stories such as this, and have run 3 separate campaign instances of One Ring, in which each adventure is a year, then downtime, then the next year with the full saga taking 50 or so years, so 50 sessions.. about a year to run. I am familiar with Pendragon, a very talented GM ran it for me and 5 others two years ago here on roll20.  At that time, I had not Game-mastered Pendragon, I more or less followed his lead with the rules and everything that happened, because it was not a main game for me, since I run science fiction and military games, for the most part. I do not know what kind of character i would like to play.  In the last time I played, I had a Knight who was valorous, and pious, but who had lost his wife and child when the birth happened.  Eventually, he had a cleaning maid who became pregnant with his child, whom he promised to take care of, and going against courtly rules, they married.   In one of the first battles, he took a ransom from a saxon lord who lived on his manor, who taught him to read, and he was released to his saxon home a year later. I do not recall much else as it was two years ago, but I recall we invaded northern France, and I felt like my lord was an upstart, and my character took sides with the faction that was for Arthur, which was to stay on campaign in France,  and then go forth to the Holy Lands on Crusade?  Thus I was written out of the script, which focused on England and the adventures of Knights there. I was cool with it and the DM was cool with it, and so was written out with full agreement, and within two weeks his schedule had changed. hard to remember, but I recall the game was lethal field battles, we lost many knights, and much wounding. Family story? Do not know, whatever is rolled, I will work with. I am 51 years old, and have played so many many characters.  If we go into this we get a chance to play together, and it will give me even more time to work out the Twilight:2000 Poland campaign, and you will get to know me as a player. If I have to skip for an emergency, I will let you know, you will never be in doubt with me. I can also help to facilitate whatever story you are trying to tell as a GM, since I have done this as my primary hobby for over 40 years. If i knew the game system better, I would run this, as i love epic stories like this. I also ran AD&D 2nd edition Birthright, which allows for 4 adventures per year, and over time, characters age out and die off. If nothing else, it is good to see a game like this, that run well can be completely epic. Good luck with it in any case, and welcome to DMing in English. I have Pendragon 5.1 and Book of the Manor, but not Lords and Ladies. Also, I am a big fan of games like Game of Thrones, battles, politics, Etc, as a GM and player. Respectfully, Pardalis66
Okay. I'll be completely, fully, 100% honest. That was extremely tough. I mean, I honestly hope, that some people that won't get into this game won't hate me, because I will to everything to play with you some day. You're awesome and thank you for contributing. But I had to think about three things: 1. Finding a group that will be compatible time-wise. 2. Choosing people that I think will be good at communicating. 3. Reality of my stamina, considering the time we would play. So, obvious thing is, I couldn't take everyone, so I'm sorry for that. And I want to point out a veeery important thing - I will still think about each and every one of you, if something won't work out with the players I'll choose right now. So my choices are Axel, Joss M., and Alex. But I know how internet works. I know, that even after session 0 there might be some problems and I hope that if they happen, we can work around it, and there won't be any hard feelings if we part our ways :) if someone will fall out of the team, I will contact next person on my nonexistant mental list. So, sorry and gratulations at the same time! I'm gonna create a game soon and send you invites.
:) Good luck with this. Pendragon is a great game!
Good luck sir! May the gods be with the knights ;) 
Axel
Pro
Sheet Author
I appreciate this chance to play and really hope I'll work out for us.
SillyWyrm thank you giving me the chance to join Pendragon once more.