Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Suggestion for dynamic lighting in future addons.

I would like to suggest that in the future for roll20 add ons when doing dynamic lighting that the lighting be broken up into smaller chunks. I wanted to make the wyrmling room in Sunless Citadel slightly larger but the dynamic lighting is one continuous block rather than several smaller chunks stitched together. Separating it out in chunks would make it easier to alter portions of the maps. 
Since you're a Pro user, look up the Path Splitter script.  It will let you do that. However, yes.  For Plus users, this would be a good thing.  That being said, they prob use Aaron's script to do the lighting walls.  So not sure if that's feasible (I don't use his script, so not sure if it has to be continuous or not).
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Walls builds continuous, but I'd always intended to break it up a bit...

Edited 1495531676
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Long continuous walls are supposedly better for performance when DL is in effect... but I feel your pain, sometimes you just gotta mess with things ;) which makes this a very valid suggestion for add-on creators. Path Splitter is certainly your best friend here.
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
From someone who uses the Walls script when creating stuff... Creating Paths in Raster systems for the walls of your dungeon, can be a pain in the ass; and The Aaron's wonderful Walls script grabs an output from the Raster File and auto-creates the DL for you. So I get your pain, but on the other end... path splitting in Raster art programs can also be a colossal pain.
Munky
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
I have used the square tool to create lines in my maps, that works well enough and keeps each wall editable. All though on larger maps, the Multiple Dynamic Lighting objects can cause lag. It's not really noticeable on smaller maps but once you get above 80x80 it starts to take effect. But I do understand this request, 100%. Speaking of Aaron's wall script, me and Gypsy were JUST talking yesterday about how to get that script to work in Photoshop to create your vectors and SVG files. Aaaarooooon... this isn't it's own forum topic but feel free to answer it here or in a PM if you like. 
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
I've looked into Photoshop support.  The major issue is that the SVGs from The GIMP are nice, simple, and regular.  The ones from Photoshop are much more complicated...  still possible, but very low on my priority for the moment...
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ziechael said: Long continuous walls are supposedly better for performance when DL is in effect... I was about to say "I don't think that's true, they still have to do the same amount of DL processing," but then I thought "Hey, the path info is stored as a string, and JSON.parse is probably slow." I threw together a test case on jsperf.com, and parsing a single 5-element array (a rectangle) was almost twice as fast (916.6k ops/s vs. 471.8k ops/s) as parsing four 2-element arrays (straight lines). The difference goes down significantly when you add some slow processing (in my test case, a 10ms timeout for each of the four line segments), but the huge difference on the JSON.parse side still caused the rectangle parse+process to come out ahead (57.5k ops/s vs. 50.0k ops/s). When I tried a test case with only  the processing and no JSON.parse, the rectangle still won out, but by a statistically insignificant margin (61.2k ops/s vs. 58.7k ops/s). I realize my "processing" is essentially the same for both test cases (four 10ms timeouts), but the same is true of the required calculations to figure out the DL for a single rectangle vs. four line segments forming a rectangle. The question then arises: does Roll20 store the path data in-memory as an array, or is it parsing the string each time the DL is calculated? If the former, then my initial gut instinct should be correct, there ought to be an insignificant difference (if any) between a single path forming some shape and a set of multiple paths forming the exact same shape. If the latter, then reducing the number of paths being used to form the walls on your map should significantly  improve DL performance... and Roll20's DL processing should probably be changed to the former supposition to improve performance across the platform.
Interesting test, Brian.  I tend to break my DL lines up quite often and make 'arrows' with them so it's easy to find the break.  Now I'll have to experiment with longer sections and no arrows. By 'arrow' I mean two lines coming together kind of like this:  __________\/____________ rather than two lines just meeting like this:  ______________________