Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Ability to check token status indicator overlays with macros

I know that parts of this at least are possible through API scripts, but something I think could be very helpful just for general use would be the ability to check whether a particular status indicator overlay marker is "set" on a token (and possibly what the value is in case of those that can be marked with a numeric value as well) in the basic macro engine. I assume this information is actually being stored by Roll20 somewhere, like the information for the bars and token names and such, so it seems theoretically possible that just like we can do @{selected|bar1} to get the current value of bar 1, or @{selected|token_name} to get the token's assigned name, we could perhaps do something like @{selected|black-flag} to see whether the black flag icon is set on that token. What we could do with this would somewhat depend on what information is returned, and this is where this idea gets a bit sketchy, but let's suppose for a moment that the information stored by the supposed "black-flag" trait is a 0 (for off) or a 1 (for on). Not certain that's the case, but if it is, then you actually have some really interesting options for using these to represent all sorts of things in macros. Say, for instance, that you're using the "black-flag" icon to represent a condition like "afraid" which causes the character to take a -4 to his attack rolls. You could then automate that status in your macros simply by putting something like: 1d20-(4*@{selected|black-flag}) in the macro. The (4*@{selected|black-flag}) would evaluate to 4*0=0 if black-flag was off, and 4*1=4 if black-flag was on. Thus, if black-flag was off, the "afraid" effect would not modify the roll, and if black-flag was on, the "afraid" effect would have its intended -4 penalty to the roll. This could then, especially if combined with a script like TokenMod that allowed for easy setup of macros that set these statuses in the first place, make it easy to manage statuses for characters without having to build them into character sheets. (It also makes it easier if you have multiple characters that you'd like to use the same character sheet, of course, since you can link the tokens to the character sheets but still easily have independent "status effects" since those are tied to the token, not the character sheet). ...and please tell me if I can already get this info from something like TokenMod...last I checked I thought you couldn't, but if there's something that can already provide this, I've missed it. O_O In any case...this feels like something that could be very handy in the macro engine and notably expand its usability while also perhaps helping to keep character sheets a little simpler for those who try to automate status effects and the like in their macros. Even if it is possible somehow through current API scripts, I'd still like to suggest it as a feature for the basic macro builder just for general usefulness.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .