Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[LFP] Custom Steampunk-style Guns & Swords Game/Setting

Edited 1498278219
*The Three Player Slots have been Filled, but I will leave this up for now. If anyone else is interested enough in joining this campaign, contact me by Private Message. I want to keep it to 3 players to begin with, but the crew setup allows me to seamlessly bring in additional players as the campaign progresses. Thank you for your time, and have a great day now, folk.* Greetings. I am an experienced GM running a campaign called *Sand & Ruin: Stories of a Dying World*, a Custom Steampunk-style Guns & Swords Campaign w/ Homebrew Game Rules & Setting, created entirely by myself. This is my first time using Roll20 to find players, but I wanted to try playing with some new groups. My apologies for any mistakes with the recruitment process. We will be using Roll20 and Discord. This game runs using a homebrewed system, rule set & mechanics devised by myself and simplified to make it easy to learn and play, with RPG mechanics influenced by D&D* & X-COM: Enemy Unknown. The simplified system is meant to both make starting quicker and easier, and prioritize roleplaying, while still running as a game. Due to the use of small numbers for HP & Damage, battles are fast-paced and very dangerous with an emphasis on cover, tactics and use of enemy weakpoints. The campaign will be extremely choice driven, and will be based around what the players are looking for in such a game (This GM is exceptional at fast, on-the-fly storytelling and worldbuilding). *Note: This is NOT 4E. Just need to make that clear because 4E is like the plague it would seem. Heh.* Any sort of players are welcome, new and experienced alike*, so long as they are into serious roleplaying. I run games with a relatively easygoing air but take roleplaying and stories seriously. I am also very, very good (if I do not so humbly say so myself) at working with any choices made by players. The start of the game is set at this point for Saturday at noon and a once a week meet, but times and schedules are negotiable depending on player needs/wishes. -Campaign Description: Set in the world of Tiberium, a dying planet covered by vast deserts, this campaign follows a team of relic hunters who delve into primeval ruins, facing ancient machines and monstrous beasts. A thousand years past, the oceans of Tiberium mysteriously receded and vanished, leaving behind the endless desert expanses and uncovering ancient, primeval ruins spanning much of the planet's surface. The civilizations of Tiberium, dominated by the superpowers which control the continents, have survived through the use of a Steampunk-esque technology known as Elemental Engines---mass produced designs based on relics discovered in the ruins. A detailed outline of the setting is available on the campaign description for Sand & Ruin: Stories of a Dying World. For more information, feel free to contact me. Or ask in here. Either way. I'm an easygoing fellow. *Fast Typing speed may be preferred. I and the one player type very quickly.
This is a cool concept, but I think using D&D 4e will really turn a lot of people away. 5e is a much more commonly used, well known system, especially for folks who have recently gotten into D&D. I'm interested, but unfortunately, I don't think playing a 4e game is really for me. I wish you good luck finding players though.
I really dug this, but I'm in agreement. 5e is super conducive to strong RP. This setting is a super cool concept but I'll have to pass. Best of luck!
I may be interested and would like to know a bit more in terms of character creation and what not.  Unfortunatley though I would not be able to attend this saturday, but if that's okay I am still interested.

Edited 1498245124
The 4E aspect is mostly just the use of a set of Skills similar to 4E's, though geared for this setting. Apart from that all rules and mechanics were made by myself, with inspiration from the X-COM games related to the combat system. I need to finish writing out the new character sheets, but basically there are no specific requirements for character personality, beyond fitting the basic premise of relic hunters. That can be pretty much anything, really. With the way the setting is set up, everything from Good to Evil is possible. The desert setting means scarce resources, which makes stuff like banditry and the like much more acceptable, even for relatively good characters. Their backgrounds can be fleshed out easily enough once a player is signed up (I have a decent amount of world info already written out on the roll20 game itself, and will be adding more, plus I can always just answer any questions directly). I'm using simple Stats (I like to use the What Character Am I? test on easydamus for trying out character ideas so I just use the same set of stats it does), which influence the set of available skills, which influence rolls for various situations. Rather than classes, it's more about individual style, with character class being custom for each player. Setting is semi-realistic fiction-style, so the characters are 'human'* (though cybernetics are relatively common), with firearms essentially breach-loading single-shot guns (hence the use of swords and melee weapons/fighting in addition to firearms). I kept character creation mechanics simple so that characters could be made faster and more easily. If you have ever played X-COM, you know how easily you can die (I made it harder here with a Bleed Out mechanic, but when your base starting HP (not counting equipment and class buffs or minuses) is 6, and a basic gun does 3-4 damage, you can go down very quickly if you aren't careful. As for character stats, I do personally recommend trying the Easydamus test, but basically, just need to run a set by me before implementing to make sure it is reasonably balanced with the other players. The actual starting time I set for Saturday mostly because roll20 forces you to pick a specific time in order to put a game up on listings. Actual times and how often we play will be decided based on player needs. So you don't need to be able to play tomorrow. *I am an Otaku though so the actual available races are Humans, Anubi (Fox-eared/-tailed People), Fenri (Dog/Wolf-eared/-tailed People), Nephi (Cat-eared/-tailed People) and Seraphi (Snake-eyed/fangs People).
If you still have an empty slot, I'd be pleased to join ! I'd be a crafty/tinkery kitty kat :3
Wait a second... the whole game system is homebrewed?
Kai said: Wait a second... the whole game system is homebrewed? Yes. Obsessively.
tinkilechat said: If you still have an empty slot, I'd be pleased to join ! I'd be a crafty/tinkery kitty kat :3 Yes, there are two open slots, so we would be glad to welcome you in.
What time zone and times will this be played?  Being compared to 4e isn't a bad thing, just means things will be more tactical when in combat which I enjoy.