Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

What is with the lack of GURPS?

As I said before, really don't want to GM but I will if there's no one else. I can play Friday or Saturday evenings starting at 7pm central time.

Edited 1388805209
rpgman2013 said: Okay I have been waiting to respond for a few days to see if things would "gel" for a game. I am still confused. There appears to be interest, but no GM has appeared? No GM, no time, no day, no game. So is that where we are at? Whisper said: I learned about GURPS a while back and became excited about the possibility of GMing a sci-fi game. However once I actually took a moment to see what I'd need, the sheer number of books overwhelmed me. I'm not that great of a GM and honestly I'd probably need to play first before jumping into the GM seat. If Cortex isn't too complicated, I'll have to check it out. Mike H. said: I'm interested in playing a GURPS game. I'm up for just about any genre or setting. PM me if anyone wants to get a game going Fri or Sat night around 8pm central time. Alfred P. said: No GURPS in LFG. No GURPS in this forum. Whats with that? Gentle people, fear not. I'm here to GM you* into the land of milk and honey (movement speed is reduced in milk and honey, it's not as good as it sounds). My story: Recently I started playing tabletop rpgs for the first time, as a fully grown adult. I was immediately taken in by the whole thing, fell in love, and have now filled my entire week with a wide range of games. I don't see myself tiring of it any time soon. Because of this, a few weeks ago when I got badgered about running one myself, I agreed. Setting out to find the exact game I'd like to run, I was looking for something open ended, something I could slot any kind of wild idea into and still have it work. A reliable system. GURPS fit the bill. As daunting as it seemed/seems in its complexity, that kind of chaotic potential was right on the money. I've now spent the last few weeks on a crash course in GMing GURPS, all in service of running a game for the guy who bugged me about it and his friends. I've gotten a good handle on the details of the scenario, have become more or less comfortable with how the system works (though there will obviously be slowdowns as I start getting further into it) and have been getting really excited about putting it all together in the game, which should have been earlier this evening. Tonight, as I show up to start the very first game, half the group is missing and half of the other half hasn't even cracked the book to look at character creation (which we went through last week, lest you think I threw them to the sharks). I'd had my apprehensions going in with an unknown group, but this pretty much seals the deal, I'm not going to spend time breaking my head open with learning, only to waste that effort on people who barely even want to be there. At the very least I need a group that will pay attention and remember to show up when they are able, no matter what else they decide to do. Which brings me to you guys, and this thread. I obviously should have come here first, but you live and you learn! I'm now looking to run the same game I started creating for those other guys, with a new 4 person (5 if i absolutely have to) group. I have one reliable guy who has committed already, looking for 3 (4 if you make me) more of the same caliber of player. What game you ask? It's called The Journey of Adventures. Let me tell you more. I ultimately want to run an exciting game where extreme, strange and mind bending events are the name of the game. Investigation will play a big part as will good solid action, with a side of comedy. I am reluctant to tell you the setting you will be starting out in, as it is admittedly cyberpunk/sci-fi in nature and I don't want to give the impression that this is going to strictly be any one genre of campaign. This is GURPS, and I feel that kind of limitation would be a waste of its capabilities! I'll be pulling from all over the map of possibilities within the system and it's many volumes, with creative influences ranging from other games to films to the backs of cereal boxes. We will be starting small at first. You will start with no magic but ultra-tech (TL9 cusping on TL10). Rest assured, all of that may change as we go on! I tried to quote everyone I could see that expressed interest, so hopefully you all see this. If not, I'll give it some time and send some PM's! Let's get this game started! *as long as you will accept me as the new GM that I am, are here to play a good solid game, and are reliable to show up weekly (barring real life events obviously).
Joe Lunchpail said: Tonight, as I show up to start the very first game, half the group is missing and half of the other half hasn't even cracked the book to look at character creation (which we went through last week, lest you think I threw them to the sharks). I'd recommend getting a copy of GCA if you don't have one already. It takes a ton of work out of chargen, to the point where it becomes fun. I do characters for players that are unfamiliar with GURPS in my game, or players who just want to use a description.
Just now looked into it, seems like a great resource! This will save time. Unfortunately, it sounds like most of you have already formed a game that I won't be able to make, I missed it by that much. If I'm wrong and there are still any looking for a group, feel free to hit me up!
I don't know if there's a game set up yet. I certainly wouldn't suggest you retract your offer. I've also been thinking of running a drop-in GURPS game if time allows, but I would also be interested in being a player (assuming I haven't forgotten how after decades of forever GMing).
Definitely not retracted, just talked to Mike H, hes already running a game. If there is room and players enough for another one, lets do it.
If a GURPS game was started I would be most interested in playing.