Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Frozen Chat Issue - previous "solution" not working for me!

Edited 1501223369
Hello, the chat log in my game I am GMing is locked up on me. I read in this thread on how to resolve it: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/5337435/frozen-t" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/5337435/frozen-t</a>... but none of the suggestions work. • The issue began 2 days ago. Before this everything was working just fine. • I use Mozilla Firefox on a Mac. I cleared my browser cashe several times, and I have no plugins or add-ons running at all. • I did a hard Refresh of Firefox to purge all cookies and lingering settings. • I even tried a different browser with Google Chrome and the problem occurs there as well!&nbsp; • In the game, I used "Clear Current Chat Log" a million times already, the chat does go away but if I type something the old chat comes right back. • Under "Game Settings" I used the "Clear Chat Archive" but the broken chat still comes back if I try and type something or make a die roll. I was planning to run the Emerald Spire game. Here is a screen shot of the chat where one of my players, "Ron v." did something... it just says "selected" After trying to type something in the chat or make a die roll macro the chat box fields collapse into black lines like so... I took a look at the chat archive before I deleted it. You can see where my player used a repeating_weapon macro. I think this is what broke my game. He apaprently was able to still use the chat after that on his end. If I scrolled down the list there were entries I made but couldn't see where I was trying to test die rolls and get the chat to appear again. This all was logged but I couldn't see any of it. Another post suggested making a copy of the game and that resolved the frozen chat - I tried this but in the copies, since I assume because I'm not a Pro member, none of my character sheets imported over? Very lame BTW. Anyone know what's going or admin please reset my Emerald Spire game. Tell me what's causing this. I just hope nothing gets deleted because I spent many hours on this already. It will majorly tick me off if anything gets lost. Jay Tee

Edited 1501228556
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with the site, since the standard 'clear the chat archive' didn't work in this instance please follow the below steps, specifically step 4. Could you please carefully work through the first three steps of our guide to Solving Technical Issues ? Step 1: Make sure to use the right browser Please check if these issues persist when using both Chrome and Firefox. Step 2: Ensure that there are no extensions/addons interfering with Roll20 Please disable all add-ons/extensions and anti-virus programs. Step 3: Clear your cache If none of the above succeeds, please thoroughly work through Step 4 . (Don't forget the complete Console Log!) Thank you! Also, when copying a game you can certainly carry the character sheets across with any level of account, just make sure to have the appropriate box checked:

Edited 1501262182
Ziechael , thanks for the response. I mentioned I already did all those steps, like I said I had no add-ons, yes I have an anti-virus program running but it's been on all along even before the issue started, and nothing with it changed, I used TWO different browsers, Firefox and then Chrome )I didn't test Safari) and just short of dusting off and firing up my old PC laptop and seeing if it worked with a second computer I'm pretty sure the issue is on Roll20's side. My only other option was to copy the game without the chat log - someone said that solved their issue. BUT, I was having the problem of trying to copy my game as the character sheets were not showing up for the PCs and monsters in the game. I thought it had something to do with the "Transmorgifier" feature of being able to export you characters between different games (which is Pro feature not a Plus) - I discovered however that I had to re-select the character sheet I want to use in the drop down menu - in my case Pathfinder - and once I did that, the character sheets showed up in my copied game. I think somebody might want to clarify that in the instructions, or make it so you don't have to do that when you copy over. I think it should automatically do that maybe, out of convenience and avoiding panic. And a couple of my images seemed to still have not made the journey either, another annoyance, but one I can easily fix - far easier than having to retype up a dozen character sheets again. SO, issue resolved, sort of. Jay Tee Oh, and someone might want to fix the CLEAR CHAT ARCHIVE option under Game Settings, because it doesn't work either. I hit that three times and I could still bring up my chat archive (which is how I made the third image in my original post). Since whatever was hanging up my game may have been in there clearing it out may have worked the first time.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Hi Jay, After making a game copy without carrying over the chat log, did that clear things up for you or are you still dealing with issues with it? The character sheet not being carried over when you copy game is a known issue and something we want to fix when we're able to get to it. The in-app "Clear Current Chat Log" button only temporary clears the chat log. If you reload the browser tab or log in and out of the game, the chat will return. It also only works for your client only. The only way to delete the game's chat log permanently is to do so from the Game Details page outside the app. You have several Emerald Spire games listed on your account. Could you provide a link to your game details page for the game that currently has the chat log that can't be deleted? I'd like to take a look at it.
I deleted my original Emerald Spire game with the frozen chat log once I made a copy that worked again. I made a couple copies because at first the chat log was still frozen (I just copied the game again w/o the log and it seemed to fix the issue). I then had an issue with missing characters sheets which I resolved by making sure the pathfinder sheet was selected when I made a copy and the sheets appeared. If you guys can still see my deleted games then whatever log is the oldest I'd assume was my original chat log.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Jay Tee said: I deleted my original Emerald Spire game with the frozen chat log once I made a copy that worked again. I made a couple copies because at first the chat log was still frozen (I just copied the game again w/o the log and it seemed to fix the issue). I then had an issue with missing characters sheets which I resolved by making sure the pathfinder sheet was selected when I made a copy and the sheets appeared. If you guys can still see my deleted games then whatever log is the oldest I'd assume was my original chat log. Thanks, Jay. I'll take a look into your oldest version of that game and see if I can figure out what went wrong.
Sounds good, thanks.