Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Older player? Coming back to D&D? Old folks wanting to relive the glory days of youth? Grognard?

Hello. Are you experienced?  Rolled a d20 in the 80's? Know what a THAC0 is? Do you pour over your D&D Basic Red Box, smelling the dice? Still got the crayon? I'm looking for a casual group of older players (you decide what that means :-) who want to roll some dice and not get too stressed out and role play some.  Well, if that sounds like you, give me a shout, you never know, we might get to play.  D&D 5e, CoC, Any indies you've found... GMT +1 MG
You rang?
Ah, there you are. 
If you ran 1E I would play in a heart beat. I would not have to deal with murky perception checks, fighters doing 70 dmg on average, rogues just bouncing back and forth between combats. I am available on wed nights.
Not a fan of 5e, huh? I'd have to go digging around in the attic, but I'm sure we might be able dig something up for a 1e session. Basic or Advanced for preference? 

Edited 1504143508
Hello MG, You have my attention bud. I'm in the CST but am still interested in playing with a group of old schoolers anytime.  Peace --Mike

Edited 1504030837
I was going to run a Dark Sun ADND game but didn't get a lot of interest. So I'm running a CoC 7th modern and then Masks game. I'd play the hell out of ADND if someone ran something. I'm available Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays in the evenings on Pacific time. I did like 5E at first but greatly disliked it after running a few campaigns. I threw very deadly encounters at my players and most of the time only one person got close to dying. It broke my Gygaxian heart.  Edit:  If anyone wants, i could spin up a group for oDND and ADND (or even DCC which is awesome) and we can reminicse about the old days and get a game in once in a while. 
Heck, if nothing else, we can get a Discord Channel so we can shoot the breeze. It would be nice to chat with people that watched the original cartoons when they aired. Peace --Mike 
Oh man, I never got to play Dark Sun back in the day and was always slightly heartbroken. Dungeon Crawl Classics is something that's been on my radar for a while. Let's see what kind of response we get and timings and make a call. Happy to DM COC, Trail of Cthulhu,  Cold City,  AD&D 1st Ed, Paranoia, Savage Worlds, Fate whatever...
I am CST (chicago) and would be happy as a pig in shit to play AD&D 1e set in greyhawk on a wed night. That would seriously bring back some nice memories. I do agree, 5E is super tough on DM's due to the players killing power, the wonkyness of surprise and perception. I am DM'ing three 5E games and am slowly introducing 1E concepts like surprise on a d6, negative hit points equal death, no stupid monster races or classes in my campaign IE no dragonborne or tieflings, no Warlocks, Paladins must be LG and human. I did get blow back from that from some of the murder hobo type players but generally people want to play. scott

Edited 1504033550
If you are looking to Play Paranoia my buddy&nbsp; Nanobytes is running a game.&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/87010/straight-" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/87010/straight-</a>... here is the game listing if you are interested. And it has been so long since I played CoC that my Elder Sign looks like a tree. ;)
scott h. said: I am CST (chicago) and would be happy as a pig in shit to play AD&D 1e set in greyhawk on a wed night. That would seriously bring back some nice memories. I do agree, 5E is super tough on DM's due to the players killing power, the wonkyness of surprise and perception. I am DM'ing three 5E games and am slowly introducing 1E concepts like surprise on a d6, negative hit points equal death, no stupid monster races or classes in my campaign IE no dragonborne or tieflings, no Warlocks, Paladins must be LG and human. I did get blow back from that from some of the murder hobo type players but generally people want to play. scott Are we the same person?! I did the same thing but got a lot of complaints which was one of the annoyances that led me to abandon 5E.&nbsp;
Hi ya- There are so many players out there that want to play D&D and so few DM's (well good ones) that I can afford to be picky about who plays in my games. If they dont like the rules, they can rage quit. I dont care.

Edited 1504055261
This thread looks fun. I definitely fall into the age group. My personal situation is "Always a DM, never a player". I currently run B/X D&D campaigns on Roll20, and have never played any&nbsp;version past 2ed. Only concern I see is MonkeyGland is GMT +1, and I assume a lot of us posting here are in the US. Which would mean that some people are going to have to be very flexible with their schedules.
Well - 5 is an excellent number for a start. Where are we all?&nbsp; MG - GMT+1 (British Summer Time) - Pretty flexible Scott - GMT -5 (Central Daylight Time) - Can play on a Wednesday night.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I guess I fall into this group. I even have a DVD of the original Dungeons and Dragons cartoon packed away somewhere in the house but I watched it when it aired on TV back then. I haven't played 1e or 2e in a few decades (no longer have my books either) but I use a retroclone called&nbsp; Basic Fantasy RPG which is very similar to the old systems but uses ascending combat rolls instead of thaco.
Ha! "Glory days of youth". Not sure I'm in your genre (D&D fantasy) but the topic title caught my eye and I certainly fit into the age demographic. I was playing 2nd edition RuneQuest and original Call of Cthulhu back in the day. And they were quite glorious days too. :-) Best of luck getting something sorted, guys.
Robbie - I wasn't wedded to particular genre, though playing early D&D was the impetus. &nbsp;It was the make up of the group that was more important.
Ah, MonkeyGland, I thought you guys had the foundations of something fantasy going. I shall linger awhile and see what transpires!&nbsp; I'll put my cards on the table then: I assume that some on here will have heard of Fudge? Fate uses Fudge Dice. Fate has deservedly overshadowed its originator, but there is a Fudge-based game called The Unexplained by Bradford Younie, where folks play the part of paranormal investigators (imagine a cross between The X-Files and Ghost Hunters). I've got some ideas for that if folks were interested and a group got off the ground. So not exactly an old school game, but a system with fairly light game mechanics designed to support roleplaying without too much emphasis on rules. I'm GMT+1 (UK) based.
Going to unfollow this topic since my inbox is blowing up but&nbsp;if anyone is looking for a player hit me up in IM. I'm usually available Monday, Tuesday, Thursday. 7-11pm PST.
Hey guys, This is definitely the kind of guys I have been looking for. I really haven't done a lot of roleplaying the last 20 years as I could not get into the WotC D&D or any of the d20 systems. I always loved playing AD&D 1st and 2nd ed. I love all the old RPGs from the 80s and 90s and would love to get back into playing. If you guys are starting up a group I would love to join. I am on GMT -5 (Central Daylight Time).
To follow up, I am in the Central US Time Zone. I currently DM Roll20 games on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday evenings each week, so those times would be out for me.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I forgot to post my time and such. I live in the Central Us timezone also and I'm not in any games at this moment. Evenings (after 7pm) for a few hours is fine but Friday evenings and saturdays are the best for me due to working 1st shift.
Hi any of you guys in GMT?
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
MonkeyGland said: MG - GMT+1 (British Summer Time) - Pretty flexible Scott - GMT -5 (Central Daylight Time) - Can play on a Wednesday night. Brett E. said: To follow up, I am in the Central US Time Zone. Pat S. said: I live in the Central Us timezone also and I'm not in any games at this moment. Evenings (after 7pm) for a few hours is fine but Friday evenings and saturdays are the best for me due to working 1st shift. Ryan B. said: . I am on GMT -5 (Central Daylight Time). Robbie said: I'm GMT+1 (UK) based.
Right. Looks like we can get a couple of groups out of this. A Central US and Western European chapter as it were.&nbsp; Scott, Brett, Pat and Ryan can hit up Gygaxian and get something running - that's a cracking little group I think - you lot feel free to organise. I think the time difference will make that tricky for myself and anyone close to GMT. I'll grab Robbie, Dom and any others that stray into our web...
MonkeyGland said: Right. Looks like we can get a couple of groups out of this. A Central US and Western European chapter as it were.&nbsp; Scott, Brett, Pat and Ryan can hit up Gygaxian and get something running - that's a cracking little group I think - you lot feel free to organise. I think the time difference will make that tricky for myself and anyone close to GMT. I'll grab Robbie, Dom and any others that stray into our web... It'd be fun to have 2 chapters.

Edited 1504227650
I did briefly run a campaign for some UK / Western European players,&nbsp;when I first started using Roll20 back in 2013. As I recall, it took place on Sunday afternoons for me, which of course was Sunday evening there. It had the usual new Roll20 campaign growing pains... settling in with a stable group of players who reliably showed up each week, etc. Plus, I myself was still new at using Roll20, and was not nearly as confident in working with it as I am now. I might could try something like that again, if there is sufficient interest.
Hello! I am just past 30 and although I was interested in 2nd edition when it was out, I never got to actually play. I am looking for a group of older gamers to have a consistent group with and my schedule is fairly flexible (Central time, self-employed). I've only gotten to play 5e so far, but am very interested in AD&D 2e since that's what I saw in my pre teens, but never got to play. Hoping someone will hit me up for either game! ~Hannah
Hey Hanna! Looks like we've got a couple of potential groups here. There's a strong showing in CST and a few of us in UK/Western Europe.&nbsp; MG
Wow just what the doctor ordered...! I'm middle aged gamer who played D&D red/ blue edition in the early 80's. Moved onto AD&D 1Edition and it's still the one I love! &nbsp; In the UK in the early 80's it was difficult to get hold of the TSR modules. I'd love to actually get to play them some day... I've played 1st and 2nd edition AD&D, 5E D&D, CoC, Traveller and various other games over the years. I now live in Australia (GMT +10). I know this makes it tricky but I'd love to play with you guys. G.
I'm in Eastern Europe (GMT +3), and played AD&D back in the late '80s.&nbsp; I don't have the original books anymore, but I do have the PDF.&nbsp; I've run an AD&D campaign on here for about a year, and I've gotten into 5e for the past 9 months or so, and I think a lot depends on the DM - for either system.&nbsp; No beef against 5e, but I do still have a soft spot in my heart for 1e.&nbsp; If the time and day was right, I could be interested in playing.

Edited 1507925152
Wow, sounds like my kind of game. I do know what THAC0 is and I watched the original DnD cartoons when they were on (even though I was already an adult) I started playing in the 80's and DM'd&nbsp; for about 20 years. Got out of it after everyone (including me) moved out of state. Sold all my 1st and 2nd edition stuff (including a ton of miniatures)&nbsp; in a garage sale a number of years back. Due to the show Critical Role (which plays 5e rules) I've got the bug again. I will admit I just bought all the 5e books last week, while I like some things from it, what I know is 2nd edition.&nbsp; I'm in Texas, so Central Time zone and available mainly Friday evenings.
Suddenly the squatter, that old worn down drunk who always muttered something about young adventurers when they passed him, stould up in a startled manner. Straight as to defy his natural broken posture. For a moment vitality and luster returned to his face and old glories shone through once more. It was as if a memory had come awake without warning and in that moment he remembered who he really was. I've actually just played the red box once or twice.(My introduction to FRPG's was MERP in the 80's, guess we were Tolkien fans or something). I always liked things simple though. wait for it... classic stuff.
&nbsp; I am more of a Thundarr fan&nbsp; ;) &nbsp;&nbsp; <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I9blXQEHyw" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I9blXQEHyw</a> &nbsp;
I've always wanted to play a sarcastic human that thinks and dresses like a leonine post-apocalyptic species. He dwells in a local swamp and uses weasel fur to enhance his appearance. I want to be the mock-Mok that mocks while mired in muck, but insists on wearing Mink.
I'm a 40-something gamer that grew up with AD&D 2E, but actually prefer 3.5 or 5E. Almost always been a DM, but really want to be a player. Planescape is my preferred gameworld, but Dark Sun or regular Forgotten Realms are fun, too. I'm new to online D&D, and probably need some getting used to Roll20 and Discord, but keen on trying out. I'm in GMT+1 and available all Wednesdays and bi-weekly Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays. Rarely weekends, but the occasional Sunday now and again.
Ahah! It looks like good men and women of a certain age cannot be put down! I'm actually running 5e at the moment :-) but happy to GM any edition you like (unlikely 4th though). I'll throw some invites out soon :-)

Edited 1508184684
Sandy S.
Marketplace Creator
THAC0 hehe, nice! I'm interested... PST here, southern California, still play the old edition/homebrew almost monthly along with the Modiphius Conan 2d20!

Edited 1508200381
Pat S. said: I forgot to post my time and such. I live in the Central Us timezone also and I'm not in any games at this moment. Evenings (after 7pm) for a few hours is fine but Friday evenings and saturdays are the best for me due to working 1st shift. How many hours would you be able to commit to? Or rather, how many hours do you (by "you", I mean not necessarily Pat S.) play in a typical session on Roll20?&nbsp; I can do either Friday or Saturday evenings. I live in California (Pacific time zone (GMT -7)) and prefer to DM. Can do any edition but would really rather run 1E or 2E. Anyway, let me know.

Edited 1508200413
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Right now I'm in the process of getting a second job so I'm not gaming right now due to that and burnout. When I posted earlier, I thought I could enjoy a game but it just didn't work for me.
Pat S. said: Right now I'm in the process of getting a second job so I'm not gaming right now due to that and burnout. When I posted earlier, I thought I could enjoy a game but it just didn't work for me. I see.&nbsp; If I did start a new game, building a group - as you may know - takes time. So if one began, it wouldn't be soon, not unless there was a huge outpouring of interest and the stars aligned, and so forth. I mean, hopefully, folks would be able to make the listed times and they'd be able to commit to a weekly thing. So before I go further, it sort of helps knowing how much time someone can commit. For instance, in my weekly Sunday game, we meet for 5 1/2 to 6 hours. I don't know if 5 1/2 hours is standard on Roll20 - how many hours do people usually play? Is it 3 hours? 4 hours? 7 hours? Having that kind of information on hand is useful because I can then adjust expectations.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I usually do 3 or 4 hour games as I have to take care of family and such but then again I usually run text based games not voice so the games I ran usually ran 24/7 through the use of asynchronous text play.
Pat S. said: I usually do 3 or 4 hour games as I have to take care of family and such but then again I usually run text based games not voice so the games I ran usually ran 24/7 through the use of asynchronous text play. My games are also text-based and not voice. Ok, thanks. Hopefully other folks will chime in. I'll be watching this thread with interest.

Edited 1508203469
Current Schedule (All times are given in Central Time Zone or -6GMT) Sunday Free 10am til 12am Monday Free 10am til 12am Tuesday Free from 10am til 6pm Wednesday Free 10am til 12am Thursday Free from 10am til 6pm Friday & Saturday Free all day but I have an intermittent game that takes places somewhere in this time also I go to the gorcery and do various house duties so I'll need some advanced warning to make it to a game. However if the time is consistent, I can plan my other things around it. Oh, and just in case you were wondering, I'm interested in playing; and would really love to get into a BECMI game if there is one in the works.&nbsp;
OK when is this going down, Im a older gamer looking for like minded nerds and have the same adult humor in campaign, I can Play I can DM , I can just shut up or I can make cookie, or at least buy some really good tasting ones

Edited 1508248272
Are you experienced?&nbsp; <a href="https://vimeo.com/109988488" rel="nofollow">https://vimeo.com/109988488</a>
I run 3.5 homebrew but if you are interested, I'd be happy to add you in. Check out my post and let know. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/5661321/lfp-3-dot-5-homebrew-sundays" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/5661321/lfp-3-dot-5-homebrew-sundays</a>

Edited 1508356668
SWADE said: OK when is this going down, Im a older gamer looking for like minded nerds and have the same adult humor in campaign, I can Play I can DM , I can just shut up or I can make cookie, or at least buy some really good tasting ones What time zone are you in, and when are you usually available? J. Mike Blanche said: Current Schedule (All times are given in Central Time Zone or -6GMT) Friday & Saturday Free all day but I have an intermittent game that takes places somewhere in this time also I go to the gorcery and do various house duties so I'll need some advanced warning to make it to a game. However if the time is consistent, I can plan my other things around it. Oh, and just in case you were wondering, I'm interested in playing; and would really love to get into a BECMI game if there is one in the works.&nbsp; I might be able to do a Friday night game. It would very likely be either 1E or 2E depending on who expresses interest. I'm in Pacific time (GMT -7). BTW Central time is&nbsp; GMT -5 until the first Sunday in November when it becomes GMT -6. If anyone is interested, please send me a PM. In your PM, assuming that you're available on Fridays, please let me know (1) what time you're available, (2) what time zone you're in, and (3) what game system you would prefer. I'm usually available after 9 pm Pacific time. Edit: In the interim, I'll create another post in this forum although that probably won't be until later tonight. Thanks!

Edited 1509687446
I have made about a half dozen or more interest requests but I suppose I can compile most of them here. By their nature most of these would be one-shots.&nbsp; Maybe 2 sessions if we count a session 0 for chargen.&nbsp; Some systems are fairly recent. Games I have run:&nbsp; AD&D Call of Cthulhu (1st & 2nd edition, incl. Delta Green). Champions (the BBB or 4th edition) Cthulhutech Cyberpunk 2020 Deadlands Dungeon World GURPs Lords of Creation PSI-World Rogue Trader RuneQuest Shadowrun 2E Space 1889 Space Opera Star Wars (West End d6 through FFG) Stormbringer Tales from the Floating Vagabond Traveller (little books or 1st edition with some content from 5E) Tunnels and Trolls Villains and Vigilantes There's several others but that's off the top of my head. Open to others...but if you want me to run and I don't have the rules (if not open source)I will have to wait for a paycheck or two.. EDIT: wouldn't mind playing/shooting the breeze either.&nbsp; EDIT2: PST/PDT GMT -7/8. M-Th after 4 PM. Sat almost all day. Every other Sunday...that said I am trying out a few games so my availability is iffy for a while. Fridays may open up cause current GM is having a baby.
Holy crap!!! I didn't know anything like this was around. Just went through an old box a couple days ago and found my old Runequest and D&D stuff from the early 80's. My old character sheets are yellowed now. Thought I would get online and see if D&D still existed. Can't figure out this site other than the forum. Maybe too old. lol I wouldn't mind playin but the best times would be weekends in the evening and PST. Central Oregon for me. Been soooo long that I don't hardly remember much about playin but sure liked it. Lots of hours rollin with my old school chums.