Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Ridiculously New

Hi everyone I'm new to the Roll20 world but a well versed DM. I've DMed Pathfinder, Star Wars RPG, D&D 3E, 3.5E and 4E. So I'm starting up a game that involves a little bit of naval settings mixed with some temples and some Underdark related settings as well. I was hoping to find some premium artwork on the marketplace to purchase to enhance the realism of the story. I was hoping that asking the community for some assistance or recommendations for artwork might help me find some art worth the purchase. My budget is $50 but I'm trying to see if I can get some of my players to pitch in a bit more so that we can have a decent array of available artwork and player tokens. Any assistance would be appreciated.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
All the MarketPlace art is worthy of purchase, it's really just a matter of taste! Some of my immediate go-to's for you description would be: Gabriel Picard's work for ships and underdark, temples (ruined and otherwise), etc. Russ Hapke has an extensive collection of sets (Old World) that are great for building really cool overland maps (like you might expect in the the front cover of a novel or on a print you would hang in your den).
Munky
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
There's a lot of talented artists on Roll20, some of my favorites (besides myself) are Gabriel Picked, David Hemmenway,  Russ Hapke,  Chibben Groove, Brass Badger,  and Mythic Portals for maps and tiles. There's a ton of other great artists too,  that's just a few to start the list.  Tokens,  depending on your style and preference, I'd check out Devin Night,  Graemation, and Dark Wolf for top down tokens,  Mythic Portal, and Brass Badger make excellent disc tokens or "pogs", which are great if you plan to ever grab any WotC modules, and want consistency with the disc token. If you like old school retro style stuff,  check out Dsurion and Zeshio,  they have a vast selection of Pixel Art tokens between the two of them. I wish I could list all of the amazing artists on here,  but there's so many! If there's anything specific you are looking for feel free to ask, I'm sure someone can help, and if what your looking for isn't out there, feel free to tell us what you are wanting,  someone might just make it happen! Welcome to the adventures, and happy rolling!
Thank you guys so much for the responses I really appreciate it. My group surprised the hell out of me by stashing 150 bucks in my account so I'm going buck wild.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
SWEET! =D
New problem...I'm realizing how much time I'm going to have to put into drafting my campaign vs how much free time I actually have. I've been having difficulties finding a module thats not 5E and I know very little of 5E. Can I use a 5E module for Pathfinder without having to do much conversion? My group and I would like to start up here soon...
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
You'd need to redo all the creatures, but that's pretty much it.  You'd only have to go through the characters, their themselves, their tokens would all reflect back to the character.  If you want to look at the contents of one of the modules, just PM me.
Gold
Forum Champion
Check out  Lands Of Belfum, a module for Pathfinder in the marketplace. It has a particular art-style, sort of video-game Zelda-ish. If you like the art style then I would recommend this purchase for a few reasons. It has a module (adventure path) that is short and easy to DM, but long enough for several sessions of gameplay. It has a full Page collecting all the Monster Tokens and extra monsters, so you can make your own encounters after the main story line. Last, it has many extra Pages of maps in the Belfum art style. In the extra maps there are caves; towns with temples; and there is a large boat on the ocean. These maps could fit your desired scenes.