Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[LFP] D&D 5E: Tyranny of Dragons (Saturday, 7pm EST, Weekly, Video and Voice)

Edited 1508720697
Tyranny of Dragons This is my campaign loosely following the Tyranny of Dragons adventure from Wizards of the Coast. I say loosely because the group has deviated from the written adventure. Likely we'll end up back on it at some point, and we're still pursuing the Cult of the Dragon, but we're well into homebrew territory at this point. We're currently on Game 21, the group is in Baldur's Gate following one of their member being captured by the Cult and given a assassination mission in exchange for her life. She agreed, but actually intended to find the Cult's contact in the city and use him to learn the rest of their plans. Once in the city the group learned of a 10,000 gold bounty for a "Gruesome Murderer" and is now actively pursuing that in the hopes of using the money to hire the Flaming Fist against the Cult. On top of that they've become embroiled in infighting between The Guild and Ragnar Jensen - a pirate lord who has Cult ties. Actions against Ragnar saw two of the party captured, presumed dead, and last session the players rounded up allies for a assault on the pirates ship. We're in the middle of that battle now, having ended on a cliffhanger after the Gruesome Murderer itself appeared as a horrible shadow monster. I'm recruiting two additional player to get the group back up to five. One player had to drop out due to work schedule for the next months and the other didn't provide a reason. The party is currently two level 4's and one level 2, but new characters will come in at level 1. I use milestone leveling so the understanding is the new characters will eventually catch up. I do this so that the character can develop naturally like the others had to. Growing into the group as they grow in power. New players will need to be prepared to hit the ground running. I can ok a character concept but it is ultimately up to you to insert it into the story and integrate into the team. You'll be joining the campaign at the climax of 11 games worth of developments in Baldur's Gate. I'm looking for players that can play active characters that will want to get involved and help out. The current plan is for the two new characters to be buddy adventurers who see a ship under attack by a shadow monster and rush to it's aid. Information on character creation (available races, books, etc) is linked below. Tyranny of Dragons: Character Creation Information Game Info Here is the important information about this campaign. Time: Weekly, Saturday nights, 7pm-11pm EST. We may stop anywhere after 10pm depending on when a good stopping point is reached. Assume we'll be running to 11pm. Audio: Discord. Working microphone's are **required**. Discord is free and runs in a browser, although I've found the desktop app works better. We're not allowed to link to other companies but google 'Discord free voice' and it will come up. This way if Roll20 lags out or crashes (or more common, someone closes their browser) the game goes on. Video: Roll20. Webcam's are **required**. Since I switched to video I've found it provides a better experience. RPGs are a social hobby and I prefer seeing a person over a avatar image. System: Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition. See the character creation link above for which books are being utilized. Attendance: Take a moment to consider whether you can commit 4 hours every Saturday night. If you can't make a game I ask that I be notified in advance so I'm in the loop - things come up, that's ok. Missing multiple games every month due to other obligations won't fly. Fair warning: I start right at 7pm, no waiting. I'm also ok running a game with players missing. Rescheduling is an option but I'll only do it if the new time works for everyone and if very advanced notice was given. New Player's Welcome? I am prepared to help players learn the system. I am prepared to explain the Roll20 interface / macros. I am **not** prepared to run a demo to Roll20. This is intended to be a campaign, not a one-shot. For a Roll20 demo or intro to RPGs as a hobby I'd recommend trying a few one-shots first. Mature Content? Unticked. I tend to run a clean game but have been known to drop into foul language when appropriate for an NPC I'm roleplaying. Requirements Player requirements Age: ~25+. I like players closer to my own age (29). Timezone: US Eastern or Central. I've tried in the past but player's in timezones farther out lead to scheduling headaches. The game is either closer to the afternoon (and competing with other Saturday events) or the middle of the night (and competing with the need to sleep). Book: Player's should have access to the Player's Handbook. You'll need it for creating a character, looking up spells, and knowing the rules. How to Join? If you've read all of the above and are interested in joining the game then please post in the ' Listing Discussion ' section of the LFG or send me a PM. Please include more substantial content than "I want to join" as I need enough to form an opinion of you. Timezone, why you're interested in this game, DnD experience - these are good topics to go into. While the listing is active I will make an effort to respond to any interest.
I'm again seeking 1 player to replace one who dropped out. I've updated the LFG listing and the original post to match the current game. We're now on Game 20 instead of 16, and have continued to fall farther and farther off the original Tyranny of Dragons written adventure. The group is dealing with a pirate lord and hunting a murderer with a large bounty, both of which tie into ways to locate the Cult of the Dragon afterwards. 

Edited 1508720994
I'm now seeking two players to fill vacancies. I've updated the LFG listing and the original post. We're currently in the middle of what could prove to be the climax of the Baldur's Gate section of the campaign - the party is battling on Ragnar Jensen's pirate ship. After this they will be trying to get back on the Cult of the Dragons trail. We veered off the Hoard of the Dragon Queen path 10-12 games ago and depending on what the group does we could remain off course for several more games. Those worried about coming in during the middle of the punished adventure should rest assured that 21 games in we're still not done with Chapter 4. There are many chapters left to go as the party continues the fight against the Cult.