Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

About dice roll and map layer

Hi ! i would like to know if there is a way for a player to make a die roll and only the GM sees the result (and that the player who did the jet does not even see his own result) 2nd question: is it possible on the map to put indicators that could show info to gm? (ex this door is trapped DC13) the currently I create character token with notes in the bio (on MJ layer) to do this
1. No a player can't make a blind roll unless you upgrade to Pro and use an api script written to do so. 2. Yes. I suggest using the Text tool, Candal font, size 40 or so. It will show up readable on the GM Layer and will not be visible to players.
if I switch to pro mode, it's hard to use this kind of script? I already use text on the GM layer. but sometimes there is a lot of text so I use a token to store all the text.
Not too hard. Just tedious depending on how you want to use them.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I tend to put info tokens on my token layer but out of sight (behind dynamic lighting) and store pasted information as bar values. By standardising what I store and where I can use my macro bar launched macro to query them and output the information to chat for my eyes only: /w gm @{target|bar1} Etc If you go beyond that and have specific values mean different things like I do then you can open it out a bit: /w gm ?{What Info|Description,@{target|bar1}|Lock/Trap Info,@{target|bar2}|Shop Stock,@{target|bar3}} For the truly insane you can even use the max value to store more information but that requires going into the token settings to paste it in rather than being able to do it all from the VTT alone using the bubbles.
Thanks for this informations ^^

Edited 1506009878
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Hi Cetra, I do have a workaround for you if you don't want to upgrade to pro. You can take advantage of some tricks with API command buttons (no subscription necessary) to do this with an extra click. There are two ways to do this method depending on if you trust your players not to use 3d dice and/or don't need to be able to see the hover text: /w gm [Descriptive text for button](![[
/w gm  INLINE ROLL HERE ) - Note this will still roll the 3d dice, and you won't be able to utilize the hover text giving the details of the roll. [Whisper secret roll](![[
/w gm [[1d20+5]]) You can replace the inline roll with a query if what your players will be rolling will change. /w gm [Descriptive text for button](!
/w gm INLINE ROLL HERE WITH HTML ENCODED ROLL BRACKETS ) - this will allow you to use the hover text over the roll, but you will technically be doing the roll (with whatever modifiers the player put in) [Whisper secret roll(!
/w gm [[1d20+5]] ) As above, you can replace the inline roll with a query, but in this case, you'll want to only have the query be between the encoded brackets and make sure you players know not to put any brackets in the roll they enter in the query. Once your player whispers you the roll, you just click on the button to see the results (or actually roll them if using method 2). Note that you could also do this using the /gmroll command in place of the inline roll.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Here's a quick and dirty way to do notes without API. 1) Upload a transparent png to your library. This will serve as an invisible token. 2) Create a dummy character called “notes” 3) Assign the invisible token to the character. Give it an aura that only the GM can see and set the name to be visible only to the GM. This will allow you to see the token and to give it a name like “trap”. Don’t bother to link any values. Make this the default token for the character. (You could skip this step and just drop any old token onto the board, but this gives you a quick and easy invisible default.) Place all of the info you need in Bar 1 (for example). It won’t be visible, but here’s the tricky part. 4) Create the following global token macro, usable only by the GM, and name it something like “Info”: /w gm @{target|bar1} 5) whenever you need to have the info whispered to chat, click the button for the macro and target the note you want displayed. If you get ambitious, you can even place it into a roll template for better formatting. Here’s an example with the shaped sheet: /w gm &{template:5e-shaped} {{title=@{target|token_name}}}{{text=@{target|bar1}}} It will only ask you to target once, but the results will be much more readable, depending on your roll template. Here is the same example with the default template, which doesn’t have as many formatting options: /w gm &{template:default} {{name=@{target|token_name}}}{{note:@{target|bar1}}}