WOTC Module NPC Sheet Updates

Edited 1508269554
Mel
Roll20 Development Team
Hi folks, I wanted to make an official post tracking the NPC spellcasting updates in paid WOTC modules.  I'll be updating this thread as we move forward. Thank you for your patience as we get this sorted! To report specific 2.0 sheet bugs, please post them in the appropriate forum Current Status: NPC sheets should still retain original functionality. The message has been updated to reflect that users do not have to take action to update their NPC's. Clicking on spells functions exactly the same way as before.  10/17 Update: The modules are currently being updated, nothing is in the way of the procedure and I will do my best to see what can happen before next week's code push.
The topic isn't locked but I not sure if you are welcoming reports here but my issue is dragging spells into LMoP character sheets from the compendium results in a Save of 0 when the spell is cast.  The spells already in the sheet work as advertised though.
Alex S. said: The topic isn't locked but I not sure if you are welcoming reports here but my issue is dragging spells into LMoP character sheets from the compendium results in a Save of 0 when the spell is cast.  The spells already in the sheet work as advertised though. This is a known bug in the  5e OGL thread . The fix is to reset the spellcasting ability for the npc.
Kyle G. said: Alex S. said: The topic isn't locked but I not sure if you are welcoming reports here but my issue is dragging spells into LMoP character sheets from the compendium results in a Save of 0 when the spell is cast.  The spells already in the sheet work as advertised though. This is a known bug in the  5e OGL thread . The fix is to reset the spellcasting ability for the npc. Thanks v much... missed that one.

Edited 1506704174
Mel
Roll20 Development Team
Thanks Kyle! :) ETA: For specific 2.0 sheet bugs, please  post them in the appropriate forum I chose to not close this thread as it's a form of communication specifically for WOTC Modules affected by the sheet update. If folks misuse it as a place to break CoC however, I'll be closing further comments. So far so good! :)
I am very happy to hear you guys will be doing this!  Just to verify, there are some NPCs such as the Warlock of the Archfey where the old version of the spell sheet is not showing up. Also older MM NPCs such as the Lich or a Cloud Giant show an innate spellcasting section with spells listed but cannot be cast from the sheet.  Are we getting all NPCs set up with spells or is there a line in the sand that certain NPCs will get the spell treatment and others will not?
Mel
Roll20 Development Team
Matt - The monsters in the Monster Manual will not have spellcasting sections updated, as they never had them set up in the first place :)  So all modules (Tales from the Yawning Portal, Storm King's Thunder, etc) - yes, but Compendiums - not currently. Avoiding issues like the ones that came up in this character sheet update are why those sections are not used in the Compendium entries; it keeps them very stable!
Would this crisp $20 bill change your mind? No but it would really really really help me as a DM to be able to pull up a NPC character sheet and just cast a spell without having to go into the compendium and look it up.  Just a suggestion!
Mel said: Matt - The monsters in the Monster Manual will not have spellcasting sections updated, as they never had them set up in the first place :)  So all modules (Tales from the Yawning Portal, Storm King's Thunder, etc) - yes, but Compendiums - not currently. Avoiding issues like the ones that came up in this character sheet update are why those sections are not used in the Compendium entries; it keeps them very stable! Just my opinion, but you should be able to pull a monster from the compendium and begin using it.  The more upfront prep work you need to do on them the less valuable they are.  So personally having spells ready and possibly even token actions ready would be a huge benefit.

Edited 1507142626
Mel
Roll20 Development Team
It's absolutely on my to-do list! There's a few more things on the priority list that must be done first, but it's absolutely in our plans. The recent sheet update was part of that process :)   Edit for clarification: They will not be updated in the Module Update (the purpose of this thread) due to the difference between Compendium NPC structure and Module NPC structure, but we have it on the short list for updates one some more development is complete.
Awesome to hear it is in the pipleine!  Are you able to include all of the WOTC licensed spells/actions for the NPCs in the MM?  For example, Blade Ward is a cantrip some NPCs know but not something available in the Roll20 compendium (I assume because of licensing issues).
Mel
Roll20 Development Team
When the Monster Manual update is complete, all creatures dragged from the MM Compendium will be just as easy to use as those in modules, yep!
Will the updates to this content have a way to clearly understand how Monsters cast spell slots differently? As an example, the Cloud Giant below can cast 2 1st level spells at Will, and can cast several other spells x times a day. The format that was there initially made this really clear without me needing to refresh myself with the Innate Spellcasting trait above it. I get that I may have to better familiarize myself, but I always found this a lot easier, oh look, I can cast these spells as I please, and these others I can cast 3 times, etc.
Mel
Roll20 Development Team
Yes, we're going to add an indicator if a spell is "innate" and will mark that it's either "At Will" or "X/day", we're still working out exactly how that will be displayed, but it is being considered :)
Mel
Roll20 Development Team
Reminder: This thread is for the 5E OGL 2.0 sheet updates to WOTC modules only.  And an update: We finished up our production project last night, and I'm checking in on one task development side so we can begin work next week
Mel
Roll20 Development Team
Updates have begun. There is still the one task dev side we need, but quality-of-life improvements are being made and maps are being updated for Advanced Fog of War Dynamic Lighting optimization.
Jase
Pro
Any ETA or news on how the NPC spellcasting updates are going? Thanks.
Mel
Roll20 Development Team
I got word today that the last dev task has been completed. Many quality of life improvements have been implemented, and I am going to do my best to see if any modules will be completely ready by next week's code push.