Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

D&D Newbie Nights

Hello everyone! This isn't your typical LFG Post.  I just wanted to say that I'm planning to host a regular Newbie Night soon. Although interest is scattered around the internet in various places, I've been seeing a large influx of new players - or would-be players - trying to learn (mostly) D&D 5E With that in mind, I thought I might start hosting a regular newbie evening on Roll20 to cover character creation, a little bit of history, and different types of play, with a followup actual game session to get a feel for playing. Let me know if this is something you would be interested in. I haven't chosen a day yet, but it would probably be a weekend. Once in a while or if enough player request, I can teach other systems as well (Shadowrun, Cyberpunk 2020, Old World of Darkness/Exalted/Storyteller in general, most earlier D&D editions, and Pathfinder come to mind). I'm GMT -7/-8 (depending on GST) and would likely be starting in the late afternoon or evenings. I'll have more info as I sort out the scheduling. This is for the newest of the newbies! So if you're one of the many new players being directed to Roll20 as a place to find online games and players but don't know the basics, feel free to reach out!
I would be interested.
Logan S. said: I would be interested. Great! I think I will be figuring out the details sooner rather than later! I had no idea it was Friday already!
I'm not completely a newbie, but I always learn something new when playing. And Im not completely 100% on the rules. Interested in playing!
rootsdub said: I'm not completely a newbie, but I always learn something new when playing. And Im not completely 100% on the rules. Interested in playing! Awesome, you could probably skip straight to an actual play session - More about getting a hang for the game, learning rules, interpretations, etc. 
I would also be interested, depending on schedule. :) 
This is what I was hoping to find. Good thing I decided to check the forum sooner rather than later.
I would like that
I would be very very interested. All of this information is a bit overwhelming for someone like me. I am a complete newb to any game like this but I would love to give it a shot. Disclaimer I have never played any games like this at all. But if anyone is willing to point me in the right direction or take me under their wing I would be very happy. Thanks!
Hi I just recently found my fathers old 1st edition books and started reading them. its very convoluted but i'm interested. I've watched Neal Erickson streams and find D&D very entertaining and i want to try it! But I have NO clue how to play or anything. ive seen many streams but.... so will you take someone who knows NOTHING about D&D an teach me? I also know that 5th edition is very different from 1st. Im also 19 if that helps.
Would the game session be a one-shot? I know the bare basics, but could probably do with some practice. Also, I really need help on the actual role-playing aspect. I tend to panic and say really dumb things, lol.
As a would-be-player that's new to online tabletop role playing and D&D 5E, I'm definitely interested in joining your group.  Sounds like the perfect opportunity to learn the basics of Roll20 and D&D 5E, as well as gain a little experience with both.  I'm currently GMT-5 (-6 after DST rolls around) and would like to try to fit into whatever schedule you come up with.
I would be very interested in this, always wanted to play but have zero clue about how to start
I would be interested in this. I have not played in a long time, and im not sure we played correctly then. As a new player looking to jump in new it seems a bit intimidating. 
I'm interested.  I've played D&D5e once and liked it.  But have never used Roll20 (walking the tutorial now).  Would love some guidance and help. 32y male, improv experience, light on rules! Availability is scattered (like i just realized I'm available right now, haha), but wednesdays are the go-to for me.
Hi everyone, thanks for the replies! I knew people were being sent here from various online communities but wasn't sure if newbies were actually looking at the LFG forums.  After I talk to my room-mate and am able to set up a fairly regular day for this I'll probably make a linked LFG post. I'll also be PM'ing everyone in this thread before those go up for first considerations.  I've been struggling with figuring out the best format for it in some ways - With Roll20, there will also need to be a little bit of guidance in the interface, and I'd like to be able to stream information to the people in the group to make it a little easier to guide along the PHB or SRD, as well as point to specific areas on character sheets & other reference materials.  I'll probably just have to make a bunch of images, and maybe some slides, for the most common FAQ areas and use them as custom assets. It's a bit experimental, so I think I'll try to get that done sometime this week and have an update on the first session!
Awesome thanks Rollbear. This would be great for someone like me, I have no idea where to start there is so much information out there. Look forward to it!
Sounds great, Rollbear. Really looking forward to this.  Thanks for looking out for the new guys.  It's very much appreciated.
Okay, I figured out a lot of the issues (Thanks Roll20 Compendium) - There is a lot to touch on.  I'm going to start getting the pages prepared so I can show a few things visually that aren't in the compendium, and get some maps for situational examples of abilities in action after the creation pages. 
I would be very interested as well! I have been trying to get into D&D but there's so much information out there that it's kind of overwhelming, it would be nice to have some guidance.
I'd be super interested in something like this!
Thanks for the replies. I'm putting assets together now so that I can definitely schedule an upcoming game. I'm not sure how long it will take me but the first session should get scheduled within the next week, and should be taking place either next week or the week after. I'll be posting a linked LFG from the actual game session when its ready. I'll also be making a separate Newbie Nights "game" for the guided play-sessions (since it will need at least one custom macro and it'd be nice to have all my maps & creature tokens handy. Almost everything is ready for the character creation & basic concepts guidance, and I think I've figured out where most of the hiccups would be in showing people over roll20. I just need to create a couple of splash pages & maps that will help in guiding the creation process (almost like a power-point presentation). I'll PM everyone soon!  If you are new and just came across this feel free to post so I can put you on the list of people to contact when they start up!
Good luck figuring the rest of it out lad, and here's hoping we all make it through and end up with the chance to get into roll20 games.
Hey rollbear 😁 I'm def interested.  It's rich from the Facebook group 😁
Would love to get in on this. Let me know when you'll be starting and if you still have room for a newbie like myself :D
I've never played any games like this but would love to give it a try! 
I feel really good about this thank you very much rollbear!
I would definitely be down for this, depending on the time. Totally noob, looking to learn.
Hey, I really would like to join :D Ive been meaning to start playing but its a bit confusing. Ive looked at the Players Handbook and mostly read about character creation (I have quite a start here; but there are still a couple stuff im not sure about), buuut I really dont know how one goes about actually playing a campaign. I really appreciate what you are trying to make here :)

Edited 1507060199
I would definitely be interested in this! I have very little experience, but a lot of enthusiasm to make up for it :)
I would be interested in a play session.  I've gone through the Player's Handbook and created a few test characters, so I think I have a decent handle on the rules in general.  I've also gone through the Roll20 tutorial, but some actual experience and seeing rules play out would go a long way. BTW, one reason for the influx of interest is possibly the upcoming PAX Unplugged next month.
I wasn't even aware of PAX Unplugged. Thank you Shane!  I posted some rules & stuff over on my blog-thing. I see a mix of people who are probably more or less ready to play a game to see how it goes and others who need help from the basics. I was hoping to already have the first game scheduled but today I'll be working on the assets I'll need to make things go as smoothly as possible. Hopefully I'll also have dates up by the end of that but not sure - I ended up busier with work than normal because one of our clients just launched a crowdfunding campaign!  I'm tentatively looking at next Wednesday for a character gen night if I finish with the assets. I'll keep you posted! 
would love to get involved if the times are right. Only managed to play two Adventure League games so far

Edited 1507420760
Sharpiejas BST London said: would love to get involved if the times are right. Only managed to play two Adventure League games so far This is primarily for complete newbies to learn - more of a class. I'd be more than happy to have you on for an adventuring night though if we have a slot to fill!  PS. Assets are pretty much done. Adding some finishing touches. I'll also have to make a different template for Adventuring Nights (maybe add some macros for convenience) and figure out character storage, so I can have players from the class nights easily import characters to go on a starter adventure! I'll be adding the first date to the schedule soon. I'll PM everyone here that is a complete noob first. I don't think I'll have adventure nights ready until later this week, but I'll PM everyone else then! Thanks for all the interest & support so far!
Rollbear, Total noob here. This class concepts sounds very interesting. No experience with tabletop RPG's, but want to learn so I can DM a small group for my interested friends. Please put me on the list. Thanks!
Bluearcher23 said: Rollbear, Total noob here. This class concepts sounds very interesting. No experience with tabletop RPG's, but want to learn so I can DM a small group for my interested friends. Please put me on the list. Thanks! You got it. I finished up today I'm just figuring out the logistics of sign-ups, picking dates, etc. etc. etc. - I should have the first one scheduled within an hour or two.
Alright, all finished up! I've PM'd everybody but if you check this out first (and for any other newbs finding this thread) you can review the specs/current dates/rules over at my  Newbie Nights page ! Future games after this month will be listed there and will also probably get proper LFG postings. I'm expecting these first two classes to fill up with the interest here and elsewhere very fast so they probably won't get posted. Happy Gaming!