Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Invisible tokens

What happens if a character turns invisible? The character can see everything, but cannot be seen by anybody. I have not found a way to do that properly. Does it exist? If not, I believe it would be helpful and easy to implement. If there is darkness, then no one can see; easy to accomplish (fog of war, unchecking the "has sight" box for those tokens). If a monster/NPC is invisible, then the GM can put its token in the GM layer. The issue is when a PC is invisible: Its token must remain in the token layer (so the player can move it), and must be able to see normally, but must not be noticeable through other players' sight. Again, if there is no such option currently, it could be easily implemented, I believe. Just an "is invisible" box below the "has sight" one... Thanks in advance for any reply.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
You can use a clear image for that token.  It will only be selectable by GMs and the controlling player(s), but can still represent the character and provide sight, etc.  I use this technique with my Bump script.  You can give it an aura that only the controlling player can see, then they will know where the token is, but no one else will be able to locate it.   One caveat is that you can't put any status markers on it, or they will show up.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Also, for monsters and NPCs, bump works great for turning invisible. If it's a player that becomes invisible often, you can create a Rollable Table Token with their normal token image and a transparent one, then use that to represent them.  Be sure to turn off is drawing so that you get the bars you want and it snaps to the grid.
Thanks, The Aaron, for your helpful and quick reply.  A clear image with a "private" aura does save the day! Anyway, I believe an "Is invisible?" check-box for tokens could be great, and not difficult to implement.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
I agree, I think there's a suggestion for it already in the Suggestions and Ideas forum you could lend a vote to.  
I'll take a look at Bump. However, for monsters/NPCs it is easy to move the token to the GM layer. Of course, avoiding the constant change of layers would be good, but the main issue is with PCs. A rollable table is a good idea, although again, just moving one of the character's tokens to the GM layer and the other back to the token layer is not too cumbersome (unless the character is blinking or something). Thanks again. 
Great. I will look for that among the Suggestions.