Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Fog of War update - all maps stay pixelated and wont load

I was on Holiday for 3 weeks and got back 2 days ago. During that time the big update on roll20 happened. I was just gonna start preparing for saturday (next D&D session of my main group) and try out advanced Fog of War but none of my maps will load. They all stay completely pixalated! I have 3 different campaigns and it's the same for all of them. I have tried multiple browsers, tried reuploading the maps and tried creating the default/free "Masters Vault" game from scratch but the maps there wont load either! Is this a known issue? Is there a hotfix on the way? I need to know if I should just sit tight and wait or try and find a solution myself... Also did we get a heads up warning that the box in the bottom right of the 5th edition character sheets was gonna get changed? All my players had a LOT of information written in that section and thats all gone :-/ The way the box works now is GREAT (!!!) but I had no idea that that was going to happen so I didn't warn any of my players :-( Wish there would have been like a warning E-Mail or something...telling us to back up any text in those fields...
Ok so i decided to leave the brand new "Masters Vault" game that I created running on my second monitor on the Kobold cave map.  It took 20 minutes to load the 5 kobolds and the shaman and another 30 (!!!!) minutes to load the map to the point where it is not pixelated anymore. This is completely unplayable! Before the Update/my holiday I was able to play a huge campaigne (a game i created which has Kings Thunder, Lost Mines of P and about 20 extra maps that I added myself in it). 1 of my players in that campaign had a bit of a hard time to load the maps but it was still enjoyable/playable for him. For me it was absolutely fine. If I try to load that campagne now my Browser just freezes and crashes. But like i said even a small Game with 6-ish small maps (the masters vault) is taking eons for me to load just 1 map. My internet speed hasnt changed and neither has my PCs Hardware/software.  Like I mentioned before I have tried mutliple browers: Chrome, Firefox, Opra, Vivaldi & Edge.
For the character sheet update - there is a note at the bottom of the sheet, if a PC switches the sheet back to the simple version (settings cog) they can get the info - nothing was deleted. Personally I'd recommend to turn off the Advanced Fog of War - it was super laggy for me on multiple devices, so until its been optimized further I wont be using it.
Just to add: I have the exact same problem today (yesterday worked fine). It takes like 30-60 minutes for a map to load, apart from all tokens etc.
Joel M. said: Personally I'd recommend to turn off the Advanced Fog of War - it was super laggy for me on multiple devices, so until its been optimized further I wont be using it. Oh I failed to mention that I have the loading issues without even having the new feature enabled :(

Edited 1507094380
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Sebastian R. said: Joel M. said: Personally I'd recommend to turn off the Advanced Fog of War - it was super laggy for me on multiple devices, so until its been optimized further I wont be using it. Oh I failed to mention that I have the loading issues without even having the new feature enabled :( Hi Sebastian R. , I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with the site. Could you please carefully work through the first three steps of our guide to Solving Technical Issues ? Step 1: Make sure to use the right browser Please check if these issues persist when using both Chrome and Firefox. Done! Step 2: Ensure that there are no extensions/addons interfering with Roll20 Please disable all add-ons/extensions and anti-virus programs. Step 3: Clear your cache If none of the above succeeds, please thoroughly work through Step 4 . (Don't forget the complete Console Log!) There are multiple reports about this issue, and we'd like to gather some information to help the Devs resolve it. Thank you!