Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

questions on starting a game

Hey guys, I'm not sure I'm in the right forum, to be honest. However, it's the closest I could find in relation to my question. Say I wanted to start a game. Say I didn't necessarily want to be DM. Would I post the game, and start looking for a DM to actually run the campaign? Would I have to buy my own maps? Would the DM make up the story, or would I have to?
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Hi Calli, Welcome to Roll20. It sounds to me like you are looking for a group. There are a couple ways to go about this. You can post in (and browse) the  Looking for Group forum with what kind of game you are looking for, what your schedule is like, etc. With this one you can post looking for a group, with a game style idea looking for players (and a gm(s)), or as a gm looking for players for your campaign. You can take a look at the  Join a Game utility for games that are looking for players. And finally, you can try posting in the  r/lfg subreddit if you don't want to be limited to people posting on Roll20. Happy Rolling, Scott
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Calli1989 said: Hey guys, I'm not sure I'm in the right forum, to be honest. However, it's the closest I could find in relation to my question. Say I wanted to start a game. Say I didn't necessarily want to be DM. Would I post the game, and start looking for a DM to actually run the campaign? Would I have to buy my own maps? Would the DM make up the story, or would I have to? You would have to post the game if you wanted to start the game then promote whoever decided to be the GM. You do not have to buy the maps nor make up the story but it is usually easier if the person being the GM is the creator of the game so they have complete control over all the aspects of the game, especially outside the game and in the game forums. I would recommend searching the LFG forum and using the LFG search listings to find a GM recruiting.