Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[L5R FFG] New Sheet for the Open Beta

Edited 1508576160
Robert D.
Sheet Author
Hello, all. I've hacked together a character sheet for the open beta of Fantasy Flight Games' new Legend of the Five Rings open beta. This is a work in progress and expect changes thoughout the week and beyond. A lot of the field buttons are still placeholders: MAKE A BACKUP OF ANY CAMPAIGN BEFORE TESTING THIS SHEET! (You don't have a game yet, but when you do, any sheet updates may have a bug that could cause issues with existing characters, always make a backup.) This sheet may use sheet workers to convert the old sheet to the new, but there are a few points to note: We're testing. These work on my campaign, but always have a backup before changing the sheet. Always. Sometimes something causes a sheet worker to fail. Features Tracks Rings. Tracks skill ranks. Allows addition of subskills. Includes a basic roller (requires you to set up two custom tables, see below). Track XP. Honor/Glory/Status Ninjo/Giri Titles Advantages and Disadvantages Personal Outburst Other Characters and Status Sheet Broken Out between Narrative Mode and Conflict Mode. School Ability Conditions All Derivative Attributes autocalculated. Max and current void points. Weapons, Armor, And Gear Placeholders notes fields for Techniques, Advancement, Campaign Sheet, 20 Questions Worksheet. Various formatting enhancements. Wish List The following are on my list of features to add: Full technique support on technique tab. Full Advancement Templates on the advancement tab. Full Campaign Sheet support on the campaign sheet tab. All questionnaire questions and fields on the 20 quuestions tab. NPC character sheet, such as in the NPC character blocks and the Star Wars sheet. Skill-based rolling. Stance support. Various cosmetic polishes. API support with die modifiers. Attack, Technique/Invocation templates. Sheet Releases We haven't released this sheet to the public yet. When we do it will take some time for the pull request. Also, I've never done that before. We'll want some Pro users to test it first. How to Update Yourself (As Pro): Copy the  html from github In Roll20 go to campaign settings and choose a custom character sheet. In the HTML tab paste the HTML code Copy the  css from github On Roll20 in the CSS tab paste the CSS code. Right now, we just have the one translation, so copy the translation from github. This will change once translators start updating the translation files. (I assume). On Roll20 in the Translation tab paste the JSON from the appropriate file. Hit save. Building the Dice Rolling Custom Tables: You will set up two tables, one called "Skill" and one "Ring". You'll upload an image for each side of the respective die, setting the weight to equal the number of sides that image has on the actual die, as per the beta document. Therefore, the Skill table looks like this: =1 =1 =2 =2 =3 =1 =2 The Ring table, on the other hand, would like this: =1 =1 =1 =1 =1 =1 Set these up like this, and with those names, and the die roller will find them without issue. Note, this is no replacement for the official die roller. I'd like to get a full API up and running at some time, but in the meantime, if you don't object to not seeing player rolls, I highly recommend the official phone app roller. It's far superior. API Note: Zarick posted  this  over on the Fantasy Flight forums. It's a basic dice rolling API. It isn't integrated into the sheet and I hesitate to integrate it until we have something more robust, since publishing THIS sheet would allow a non-pro user to play. But for those who'd prefer, here's his API. I might fork off an API and non-api version after the game rules become more stable.

Edited 1507915668
Robert D.
Sheet Author
Update to Beta 0.5 Updated the sheet to version 0.5. This update adds a mostly functional NPC sheet (I learned the hard way with the Star Wars sheet that getting an NPC sheet late in the game leads to a painful conversion process). The 20 Questions page is done. Techniques should be working. Note: There's an inconsistency in the beta doc on question 12 of the questionnaire. The questionnaire at the end and the book and the walkthrough in Chapter 2 disagree on the mechanical effect. I decided Chapter 2 seemed more authoritative and used it on the sheet. Othe changes: Changed Resistance to be a text cell for Physical/Supernatural Added Roller to Conflict Mode Moved Derived Attributes around somewhat. Removed the stance text from the Conflict mode page. Made it a tooltip if you hover over the text of the ring on said page. Various cosmetic tweaks (I couldn't help myself.) Moved XP to only be on Advancement. There's really no reason to duplicate it on two pages, like the rings. Added Passions to narrative mode. Fixed the inconsistency between the 20 questions in the twenty questions and the twenty questions worksheet (question 12). That should be it. I didn't update earlier because no one has replied to this thread yet. I received my first reply on the FFG forums yesterday. Let me know if you are using the sheet and want me to change my priorities (or just confirm them).
Hey I'll be using your sheet this weekend and next week! Thanks for doing this work!
I just updated the sheet. Found a few bugs entering NPCs today. I'll post a bug list after my Star Wars game then test some more before bed.
Update to Beta 0.5.2 This fix was mainly hunting down issues introduced by the last update (or just never discovered in new code.) They include: Broke Physical/Supernatural Resistance back out into two fields (I thought a single text field could appear in a bubble, but it's changed to NaN.) Moved the code around so that the invisible radio button controlling the collapsing and expanding of the abilities tab on the NPC sheet no longer covers up the Silhouette field, making it impossible to edit. Added an effects field to Shuji techniques on both sheets.
On a personal note, I start my first playtest at 7 pm MDT tonight. I'll likely be inputting NPCs and perhaps answering PC bugs right up until the last minute, so it might serve you to check for updates right before your game. If you have a version of the sheet that works for you now, it might not be a bad idea to back that up before an 11th hour pre-game change, though. :)
Hey so the sheets worked great! One player had a couple issues with manually entering the values for the rings rather than using the arrows, but we enjoyed these sheets tremendously. It's not a big deal, but perhaps you could modify the macro for the narrative dice roller to say "Keep $NumofRings" at the end for new players? I had no problem explaining keep the number of ring dice each roll, but just a thought! Thanks again for all this work.

Edited 1508023980
Robert D.
Sheet Author
Great suggestion, I've changed it to: "@{name} rolls a skill! (Keep up to @{ringdie} dice, minimum of 1.)" (I haven't pushed it out to github yet.) I suspect the roll buttons will be working by next saturday on skills and the like. it's unlikey that I'll want to do more than one session without that functionality.
Protip! Here are my initiative macros. I made them token actions so the they both appear when you click a token. Roll assessment first, if necessary. Then highlight the token in questions and click the appropriate button (based on whether they were prepared for the fight or not). The macros are: Prepared-Initiative: @{selected|token_name} rolls Initiative! [[@{selected|focus}&{tracker}+?{Assessment Roll Bonus Successes|0|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10}]] Surprised-Initiative (for any non-prepared situation, really, I just wanted the text to read clearly different): @{selected|token_name} rolls Initiative! [[@{selected|vigilance}&{tracker}+?{Assessment Roll Bonus Successes|0|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10}]] As a bonus, here's my generic roller macro: /roll ?{Ring|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10}t[Ring] + ?{Skill|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10}t[Skill]

Edited 1508465390
Greetings Robert, I figured I'd read through the posts about L5R and see if someone posted bugs here. And I saw that you had been trying to contact me in your older L5R thread. Which I havn't gotten any notifications of. (I havn't got any pings on github either) You had some questions about the newly added spell description field? I mostly just worked on this sheet becouse it had been unsupported for quite som time and people had posted quite a few problems with it. I have no problem at all if you wanna take it over.
Oh, great. I think I've added all the changes you've added to my sheet. I'll go ahead and see what it takes to put in a pull request. I've never done that before. :)

Edited 1508514382
Robert D.
Sheet Author
(Removed, I'll send in a PM).

Edited 1508576984
Robert D.
Sheet Author
Update to Beta 0.6.0 With this release, I THINK we are feature complete. Read the warning. WRITE DOWN THE SURVIVAL, MEDICINE, AND SKULDUGGERY SKILLS OF ANY PC BEFORE IMPLEMENTING THIS SHEET. Culture was mislabeled as survival and medicine and skulduggery shared a variable, so you might have a skill rank or two move around when you update. This won't effect the NPC page. Here is a list of enhancements for this release: Added Roll functionality to buttons. The mod field still does nothing. It's a placeholder for a future API. Added text to roller reminding players how many dice to keep. Added repeating items to NPC weapons since a lot of NPC statblocks have 6 weapon options. Added ninjo and giri to npcs. Added collapseables to Honor, Gear Other, and the new fields on the NPC sheet. FIXED Culture and Skulduggery Added Army Stat Block to the Top of the Campaign Sheet. Added Campaign Sheet Information from the Normal Character Sheet. Added Advancement Sheet. From this point on, I should just be adding enhancements to these features, making adjustments as beta updates come out, and making cosmetic fixes (the campaign sheet needs particular work). I want to add API support, but we also need a good rules base for that. If this seems fairly bug free, I'll see about what it takes to put out a pull request. Note: Zarick posted a bare bones API roller on the Fantasy Flight forums. I linked it on the main post above, for those who would prefer it.
Update to Beta 0.7.0 I found a couple bugs, then the beta update happened. BREAKING CHANGE!!!!! NAME OF WOUNDS AND NPC_WOUNDS VARIABLE CHANGED!!!! The above breaking change doesn't affect the stats themselves of your characters or NPCs, since Resilience is the actual permanent stat and wounds was just the temporary tracking of damage, but with this change, that will zero on the character sheet as the new Fatigue variable appears. While I left the outburst variables the same, because you don't care what my variables look like under the hood and I can always write a sheet worker down the line to move that data, since wounds is just for temp tracking of damage, I didn't worry about it. It is technically a breaking change, though, since if you're like me, all your named character tokens are now pointing at a defunct variable for wound tracking, and will need to be repointed and reattached to their respective characters. Now for the changelog: Corrected a variable error in the blank martial roll variable. Corrected a variable error in the fifth column of the campaign ninjo/giri tracker. Updated with to include Beta Updates: Changed wounds to fatigue. Change outbursts to unmasking. Updated information in tooltips on stances. Updated several changes to the questionnaire.
Hey Robert, Thanks a million for making this.  One beginner question: When I put it all in and look at preview it looks great, but in the actual game every piece of type is red and looks like "[Skill-0]" with "skill" being whatever is supposed to be written in that section. Any easy fix for this?
It sounds like you haven't copied in the translation file into the translation tab, or you have some typo on that tab that's stopping the translate.json from being parsed properly.
(I usually get that when I copy the css or the html or into the translation tab.)
WARNING!!!! There's a major breaking change coming. I've discovered that the variable names I used in the repeating cells break sheetworkers. Changing them will apparently clear any data in the repeating cells. Since sheekworkers won't work, I can't write a sheetworker that automatically moves the data to new variables. Best I fix this now, when the sheet is still data and we don't have THAT many characters and NPCs entered in (I still have less than 100 that will be messed up personally.) Sorry about this. I'll try to get the update ASAP so you can start the copy. I wouldn't enter more data to repeating cells for the next little bit.