Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Script] Tongues - a simple language script

keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Idea off the top of my head: try replacing every return in the list with a shift return. The new editor handles line endings differently. It might also explain why results with the wrong number of letters are being returned.
Ben L. said: Installed 4.5.1 after the editor update and everything worked fine. After I updated Tongues to 4.5.2 it crashed with the error posted above. So, I tried to recreate Orcish and this is what I get after updating the handout with the translation: 2:15PM (From Tongues):  L. (GM) Orcish language template succesfully created! 2:17PM The Ancient One:  ???? ?? ? ??????? 2:17PM (From Tongues - GM):  [Orcish] What am I saying? I had saved the translation in Notepad++ and pasted into the handout editor. There's definitely a huge bug here. Since the previous version (4.5.1) seems to still work, how do I find it? I don't know how to find it on github if it's possible. I found it, and version 4.5.1 works fine with the all of the translations I had created in the new editor - including the Orcish handout I recreated with 4.5.2 of Tongues. I think this problem has to be with the change in how 4.5.2 is parsing the info.

Edited 1531135931
Hi there, I'm aware of all the errors happening and I'm working on a solution. Version 4.5.2 was kind of a quickfix which turned out to cause even more problems. I'm currently ensuring that every part of the script works as intended and fixing all the errors that came with the new editor. In the mean time I restored 4.5.1 on Github as it seems some people had less problems and figured out workarounds with that version.
Can I also get the macro to ask me if I want a percentage?  I have players who speak Primordial for example, which gives them limited 60-70% comprehension on the elemental dialects.  When I am using my macro to set and unset languages, how do I add the query for what percentage they should speak? Sarkamist said: Omegaman said: How do I do an API button that asks for input??  a Macro that puts API buttons so I can select languages for folks. [Add Language](!tongues --set Elven) [Remove Language](!tongues --unset Elven) but instead of "Elven" I would like it to query me for which language I want to do.  So I could just hit the button and choose the language, perhaps from a dropdown menu or something and then it would either add or remove it from that character.  The reason I was thinking is for when someone casts a spell for understanding or speaking a language I could just use that macro to quickly add it to each person that I choose. You can create a macro configured as follows: !tongues --?{Action|set|unset} ?{Language|Elvish|Orcish|Giant}
Omegaman said: Can I also get the macro to ask me if I want a percentage?  I have players who speak Primordial for example, which gives them limited 60-70% comprehension on the elemental dialects.  When I am using my macro to set and unset languages, how do I add the query for what percentage they should speak? Sarkamist said: Omegaman said: How do I do an API button that asks for input??  a Macro that puts API buttons so I can select languages for folks. [Add Language](!tongues --set Elven) [Remove Language](!tongues --unset Elven) but instead of "Elven" I would like it to query me for which language I want to do.  So I could just hit the button and choose the language, perhaps from a dropdown menu or something and then it would either add or remove it from that character.  The reason I was thinking is for when someone casts a spell for understanding or speaking a language I could just use that macro to quickly add it to each person that I choose. You can create a macro configured as follows: !tongues --?{Action|set|unset} ?{Language|Elvish|Orcish|Giant} Something like this should work: !tongues --?{Action|set|unset} ?{Language|Elvish|Orcish|Giant}:?{Knowledge|100}% It will display an input field in which you can change the number, but will always default to 100, so in the case you don't want to change the knowledge level you just have to click Submit. When unsetting a language the knowledge level is parsed but not used, so it will also work for both commands.